• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Med Tech Subsidized Training

BadgerTrapper

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey people, I was unsure whether I should post this on the Recruiting Board or the CF Medical Group board. Mods, feel free to move this if you desire.

I went to CFRC Det Moncton today to hand in my application, the recruiter asked me what trade I was applying for and I told him Non-Com Med Tech, he immediately told me that he may have a better deal for me and sat me down. He told be about a Subsidized Education package with the Atlantic Paramedic Academy. They would pay for the course tuition and 32,000$ on top of that for living expenses while I'm getting my education. I just have to apply to the Academy, have a letter of acceptance and acheive an Adequate CFAT score. Have any of you perhaps taken this particular course or have any tips? Advice? Critiscism? Thank you very much! -Patrick

Oh really... he suggested what college (based on the list of colleges that are authorized) you should apply.

Did he give you a selection of colleges for you to choose or just tell you to apply to the Atlantic Paramedic Academy?

NCM-SEP (Subsidized Education Program) is a good go if you can get into one of the authorized colleges and pass the program once in. We are taking more and more Med Tech candidates into the CFMS via this route. The only disadvantage is that from the time you start schooling to the time you are working as a Med Tech is longer than if you do the PCP program combined with the QL3 Course out of the Canadian Forces Health Services Training Centre in Borden. Do not get me wrong, it is all pensionable time, but the length of the civilian schooling is longer than the 6 month compressed course that the CFHS has contracted with JIBC in BC or Collège Ahuntsic in PQ.

Good luck and seriously consider it.

MC

The CFRC was located in Moncton, New Brunswick. That's also the home of the APA, with another located in Fredericton, New Brunswick. I'll assume that he told me to look into the Moncton academy due to proximity? Also, the recruiter made reference to a direct transfer of skills to the civilian world. I also had a thought, would they attach me to the local Moncton reserve Unit? 8th Hussars, while getting my PCP?

Unless I'm mistaken, your job is to go to school...they won't attach you to anyone until after you graduate, and even then, it'll be a Reg Force unit where you'll do some OJT until you have to do the remaning phase of QL3.

MM

The normal practice is for you to go to school and nothing else. Your mission is to learn as much as possible and graduate. I have never seen an NCM-SEP attached to a Res F unit.

Once you graduate you go into the holding pattern (which is now pretty short) until you can get the next two phases of training (clinical medicine and medical field skills) and then graduate your QL3 and off to your first posting.

MC

BadgerTrapper said:
Also, the recruiter made reference to a direct transfer of skills to the civilian world.

You will likely be away from the civilian world for at least a few years. You may wish to verify that reference with the Paramedic Association of New Brunswick regarding their Reactivation Policy:
"This policy sets forth the requirements for reinstatement of active practice registration status of ambulance personnel:
Non-practicing personnel, where the non-practicing period has been greater than five (5) years:
(a) If Association registration has remained active and all CE requirements have been completed during
the non-practicing period, the applicant must submit the following:
 Completed Registration Reactivation form;
 Valid CPR level C (adult, infant and child);
 Copy of a current criminal record check (within 60 days);
 Proof of successful completion of an approved refresher program (which includes scenario testing);
 Successfully complete the PANB entrance exam;
 Registrants must enter the Paramedic Integration Process designed to ensure new registrants have the
required cognitive knowledge as well as to ensure/develop affective capabilities (professionalism,
thoughts, feelings, etc.):
o For reactivation applicants, this includes the written examination above;
o A probationary period of 1 year during which no credible Professional Practice or Misconduct
complaints are filed against the registrant;
o Two letters of recommendation for full registration from existing members-in-good-standing of the
Association;
o Pay any applicable fees.
NOTE:
These applicants will be considered on an individual basis and may be required to meet additional
requirements, including completion of a full training program consistent with minimum entry to
practice standards.
(b) If Association registration is inactive, the applicant will be required to complete a full training program
consistent with the minimum entry to practice standards and subject to all requirements of new registrants with the
Paramedic Association of New Brunswick.
NOTE: Any costs associated with reactivation are the responsibility of the applicant."
http://www.panb.ca/content/1700

Back