• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MEC ACU Products

Garett

Inactive
Reaction score
Whats up with Mountain (Hippie) Co-op making products in ACU? Is it for the American draft dodgers hiding out here in Canada? Maybe you're not a trendy anti-military hippie in 2009 without your ACU man-bag.

5017639s_v1_m56577569830768703.jpg

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699955&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442629007&bmUID=1237119907676

A Man-Bag in camo! How very militant-European of them!

I was a bit suprised to see this as well, however seeing as how MEC uses the same production facility as does Blackhawk, I can imagine a situation where the Vietnamese facility owners pitched a sweetheart of a deal to MEC if they had an over-run in ACU/UCP pattern material from what they used for Blackhawk production.

I saw this in the Halifax store the other day. My thought was that its too bad they couldn't use a Canadian pattern (CADPAT) instead of ACU. But, based on Matts comment, that would explain why.

Could be they are just trying to grab a piece of the pie, camo gear is a huge civy market right now and ACU is the big seller. As a friend of mine told me the colors don't look military.

NFLD Sapper said:
Don't forget the day pack too.

$65.00 CAD

Made in Vietnam

From the day pack description...

"We’ve taken our popular Darwin Daypack, shucked the computer sleeve to free up space in the main compartment, kept all the other goodies, and added a crazed colour pattern."

::)

Nothing wrong with the pattern, just the colours.

Always wondered why we didn't sell them the CADPAT pattern, including colours.

Canadian Mind said:

Shocking idea here but maybe they didnt want it ?

Garett said:
Well the US Army is crazy for picking that pattern, so that's partly true.

Like the pinkish hue you can find in the ACU pattern

CDN Aviator said:
Shocking idea here but maybe they didnt want it ?

No need to be rude. I never knew concretely whether they wanted it or not. I originally heard that we didn't want to sell it to them, but that was a very long time ago and I wanted to know what the actual deal was.

Canadian Mind said:
Nothing wrong with the pattern, just the colours.

CADPAT was developed to provide the CFs with a visually effective camouflage pattern, while also providing a 'distinctly Canadian' appearance.  As such, DND would not likely want to wholesale license the pattern to another military for them to use.

The inverse is also true, in that the US Army developed UCP/ACU to establish a distinctive 'US Army' appearance for their forces, whilst providing a visually effective camouflage pattern...the latter is debatable.

Back