• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

May BMOQ?

There is a finite capacity at the school in St Jean.  Part of the planning process looks out after graduation - what courses will people require then?  When do they start?  So, the May BOMQ will be more focussed on those whose can't start later, lest they miss a full year waiting for the next career course they will require.

It's not a random hit or miss process; rather, there's a lot to co-ordinate and plan to line people up for their training.

How does this work in terms of who gets to take them. I am currently merit listed, would I be the type of person that may get to take some of these courses if I do not get into the may BMOQ? do we need to contact our cfrc?

I was very discouraged about not being able to get into the May BMOQ but reading about this OMPE thing looks like something I would enjoy over the summer if I have to wait until august. I hope there isn't some sort of catch in terms of who is eligible and that I will be able to do this but I'm still reading up on the details of this program and would appreciate any help from someone that knows more about it.

I came to know from other forums that there is a certain time frame after the interview, if you do not receive an official job offer with in six month or something, you will have to go for another interview.

Please somebody educate me on this one.

nickinguelph said:
I am in the same boat as CanadianClub, just recently Merit listed 3 weeks ago, finally I may add, and now I find this out.  So very discouraging.
I have also called my CFRC in hopes to get some further information on this, and on what is happening with my file.  Now I await to hear back from them.
I just find it really hard to beleive that out of 5* BMOQ's starting in May (3 English and 2 French...*Please correct me if I am wrong), they are already full.  I understand that more than just new applicants are selected for these, but to have them filled even before the new numbers are released for the 2009 fiscal year seems odd, specially when the CF is need of more people.
I apologize for complaining, I just feel like this process will never end.

I think it's very problematic that the CF wants to recruit hundreds if not thousands more recruits yet at the same time only has the capacity to train a fraction of that number. Correct me if I am wrong but how does it make sense for an organization of around 65000 members and wanting to increase the number only has the capacity to hold 3 english BMOQ courses in May and most likely also 3 more courses in August for a grand total of around 6 courses the whole year that take in around 20 each if not less.

I know I'm only talking about officer candidates but looking at previous intake numbers the CF is usually looking to recruit hundreds of officers a year. There is a disconnect here that is deeply troubling. As of this moment this gap is filled/wasted by having people wait for the next BMOQ either in August or May and if you wait 4 months only to miss one and have to go on the next...the CF risks losing that potential recruit to another organization, at a time when they badly need more recruits.

The May courses are full even before the new intake numbers are out and offers can be made? That's a joke!

The CF has been looking to speed up their process but they've focused on the paper work when it is obvious and very clear what the real problem is. It is common to read the quote get used to it buddy this is the CF so hurry up and wait. Even when I call my cfrc they openly talk about the fact that they're used to it and it's just how things work when you're in the CF. I don't know how this can be accepted it's like settling for mediocrity. It's also highly unprofessional because it disrespects the members/potential recruits time.

I'll end my little rant there and just move on.

good luck to everyone

logairoff said:
e real problem is. It is common to read the quote get used to it buddy this is the CF so hurry up and wait. Even when I call my cfrc they openly talk about the fact that they're used to it and it's just how things work when you're in the CF. I don't know how this can be accepted it's like settling for mediocrity. It's also highly unprofessional because it disrespects the members/potential recruits time.

good luck to everyone

Oh I am quite used to the addage "Hurry up and wait!", my application process has taken a good solid 4 years and counting now...so if you get to this point, let me know how it feels.
I have not come this far to give up, if I have to wait until August then that is fine, that just means I will be up for an AEC position instead of just LOG.  It also means that I can get into that much better of shape, and maybe work on my shooting skills, not that I will really need it.  I think the main thing is, is that I would like to see positive progress with my app, not more set backs and delays.

I sure hope they are not full yet. I am supposed to go on one of these May BMOQs. If not, I suppose it will be next summer :(

logairoff said:
The May courses are full even before the new intake numbers are out and offers can be made? That's a joke!

good luck to everyone

The BOMQs in May are generally for SEM(Subsidized Education  ROTP/UTP) and RMC guys and Gals.  These are people that are already in and require the course more than you do.  Not getting the courses now means knock on effect for their trades in the following years as accommodations have to be made. 

As for the rest of your rant you do realize that we are kinda in a shooting war that places allot of stresses on our training system.  It is hard to find space and more importantly instructors to teach across the CF.  Having more BOMQ courses does little to solve the problem if there is a backlog at the next level.  Besides I think you should stay in your lane with regards to course numbers.  They run a few more than 6 a year and at different times then you have listed. 

I hear your frustration. It's a very similar situation to why we have so few doctors in Ontario. It was thought we had too many physicians in Ontario and so they cut the numbers. Now they want to expand enrolment but the infrastructure isn't there. Same situation here, in the 90s they slashed budgets, shut down recruiting bases and seriously disrupted infrastructure. Now there's a lag. As hard as this may be to believe the system is improving but it's going to take time. I agree it's frustrating but there are finite resources.

Anybody feel free to correct me where I may be mistaken.

logairoff said:
I think it's very problematic that the CF wants to recruit hundreds if not thousands more recruits yet at the same time only has the capacity to train a fraction of that number. Correct me if I am wrong but how does it make sense for an organization of around 65000 members and wanting to increase the number only has the capacity to hold 3 english BMOQ courses in May and most likely also 3 more courses in August for a grand total of around 6 courses the whole year that take in around 20 each if not less.

I know I'm only talking about officer candidates but looking at previous intake numbers the CF is usually looking to recruit hundreds of officers a year. There is a disconnect here that is deeply troubling. As of this moment this gap is filled/wasted by having people wait for the next BMOQ either in August or May and if you wait 4 months only to miss one and have to go on the next...the CF risks losing that potential recruit to another organization, at a time when they badly need more recruits.

The CF has been looking to speed up their process but they've focused on the paper work when it is obvious and very clear what the real problem is. It is common to read the quote get used to it buddy this is the CF so hurry up and wait. Even when I call my cfrc they openly talk about the fact that they're used to it and it's just how things work when you're in the CF. I don't know how this can be accepted it's like settling for mediocrity. It's also highly unprofessional because it disrespects the members/potential recruits time.

good luck to everyone

As annoying as it is to wait, 31 Aug is likely the best time to begin a BOMQ.  As others have said, doing one right through the middle of the summer is not all its cracked up to be.  Look at it this way, spend your last free summer doing something fun.

I know the waiting is painful and the anxiety and stress of simply not knowing what your life is going to look like in the short/medium term can be overwhealming.  Beleive me ive been there, and back there again.  You just have to try to stay positive.  If you dont, you will become miserable and very bitter. 

As to the need for the CF to grow...  Yep, it needs to increase by at least 13,000 more guys (I think thats what I have been reading in the news) and its great that we are finally moving to increase our size.  The problem is, we dont have what it takes just yet to accomodate that many new people all at once.  It will likely take another 2 years before that process is streamlined, but you all will be in by then.

Seeing some pretty low numbers being thrown about here... just want to clarrify that the CF is not running BMOQs with 20 people or less.

There's 3 English and 1 French BMOQ running right now from the January intake, all starting with more than 50 people.  May and August courses will have the same.

Stirling Dyer said:
Seeing some pretty low numbers being thrown about here... just want to clarrify that the CF is not running BMOQs with 20 people or less.

There's 3 English and 1 French BMOQ running right now from the January intake, all starting with more than 50 people.  May and August courses will have the same.

This is true. The Jan 05 English BMOQ started with 63 candidates (down to 48 now) and the French Platoon started with about 45 (down to close to 30 now). The two Anglo platoons that started two weeks later started closer to the 60 as well.

The biggest loss of people has come from poor PT standards. Namely, failing the Express test and going to WFT (formerly RFT). Most of those who went to RFT from the three Anglo platoons have now passed their Express test and are waiting to be loaded on the  May courses. In essence, these people end up taking 2 slots- one in January and one in May.

I sent in my application (ROTP) right after I finished high school (July 1st, 2007 is when I dropped it into the mail). I didn't swear-in until early September of 08, and my fingers are crossed that I will get loaded to BMOQ this May, 22 months after I sent in my application. That being said, I may not, and its painful to even think about it.

It sucks, and there's nothing I can do about it, and there's nothing the CF can do about it, or I garuntee you it would. Trust me, the CF WANTS to load us all onto courses. It WANTS to have the capacity to do a lot of things, but it doesn't. It only has the cards it was dealt to play with.

What I'm saying is, keep your chin up. It sucks, but complaining won't get you anywhere. It is not the CF's fault, it is the people of Canada's fault for not placing any priority in the CF. The CF budget has been abused for a long time, and it is only now that it is starting to recover. If you have complaints, mail a letter to your MPs and let them know that you, as a Canadian citizen with the power of your vote, would like to see an increase in Defense spending. Think about the Defense budget when you cast your vote. Who is putting the most priority in our military? (easy answer....)

That is all you can do about this situation, and although it may not solve anything for you right now, it may solve many problems for future recruits and many other problems that our military now faces.

ballz

youre definitely right..I apologise for the rant I guess you're right if I'm gonna complain I should probably complain to someone that potentially has the power to do something about it. Maybe one letter going to my MP wont do much but atleast he'll know that its an issue so yes I will do that. I guess its using the frustration I have constructively.

I got the BMOQ numbers wrong so thanks to everyone for correcting me.

ltmaverick25 - you hit the nail right on the head...its frustrating but you have to play with the cards you're dealt and make the best out of it by staying optimistic.

I guess I'm just eager and excited to get started and I let the potential delay sour me. But I'm gonna make the best of this because it may not be pleasant right now looking at the short term but if I look at the long term it's definitely the career I want.

Thanks everyone

Somehow this seems appropriate here (obviously made by a marine but the message is still good):

ArmyStrong.jpg

jeffb said:
This is true. The Jan 05 English BMOQ started with 63 candidates (down to 48 now) and the French Platoon started with about 45 (down to close to 30 now). The two Anglo platoons that started two weeks later started closer to the 60 as well.

The biggest loss of people has come from poor PT standards. Namely, failing the Express test and going to WFT (formerly RFT). Most of those who went to RFT from the three Anglo platoons have now passed their Express test and are waiting to be loaded on the  May courses. In essence, these people end up taking 2 slots- one in January and one in May.

The good thing is the CF won't reduce it's quality control. By this I mean sure, they could have huge numbers going through St Jean but quality would be sacrificed for quantity. I put in for my CT back in 2 Jan 08 and I'll find out what BMOQ I'm on in a week. Yes, it gets annoying at times waiting but at least I know when I go, it will be quality training.

ballz said:
I sent in my application (ROTP) right after I finished high school (July 1st, 2007 is when I dropped it into the mail). I didn't swear-in until early September of 08, and my fingers are crossed that I will get loaded to BMOQ this May, 22 months after I sent in my application. That being said, I may not, and its painful to even think about it.

It sucks, and there's nothing I can do about it, and there's nothing the CF can do about it, or I garuntee you it would. Trust me, the CF WANTS to load us all onto courses. It WANTS to have the capacity to do a lot of things, but it doesn't. It only has the cards it was dealt to play with.

What I'm saying is, keep your chin up. It sucks, but complaining won't get you anywhere. It is not the CF's fault, it is the people of Canada's fault for not placing any priority in the CF. The CF budget has been abused for a long time, and it is only now that it is starting to recover. If you have complaints, mail a letter to your MPs and let them know that you, as a Canadian citizen with the power of your vote, would like to see an increase in Defense spending. Think about the Defense budget when you cast your vote. Who is putting the most priority in our military? (easy answer....)

That is all you can do about this situation, and although it may not solve anything for you right now, it may solve many problems for future recruits and many other problems that our military now faces.

I'm guessing that the reserve and the regular forces have the same BMQ?
Its kind of frustrating for me, since i have school in September and would rather do BMQ a little earlier than august.

jeffb said:

Actually, I believe that there were 64 starting out. Of the 16 who left - 7 failed the Expres, 7 VR'd, and 2 were recoursed due to injury. Of the 4 Leadership platoons there now, I think the Jan. 5th course is still the largest. ;)

army24 said:
I'm guessing that the reserve and the regular forces have the same BMQ?
Its kind of frustrating for me, since i have school in September and would rather do BMQ a little earlier than august.

It is pretty much the same qualification, though on the reserve side there is the ability to do much of it on weekends.  If you complete the BMQ and SQ on the reserve side, they would not make you redo it if you CT reg force.

Well, I just got off the phone with my CFRC (Kitchener), and I was told not to lose hope, that there is alot of time between now and April/May, people get cold feet, and back out.  Also that it wasn't full, but very limited.
Another month to go untill I find out whether I will be going into Logistics, or for AEC in August...lol (long story)..... what a Monday.

Back