- Reaction score
http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3487101Body identified as that of missing cadet
Updated 11 minutes ago
Military investigators confirmed Wednesday that the body pulled out of Navy Bay Tuesday was that of a missing Royal Military College cadet.
Mathieu LeClair, a second-year student from St. John, N.B., had been missing since early Monday.
Capt. Karina Holder of the Canadian Forces Provost Marshal in Ottawa said foul play is not suspected in LeClair’s death, though the investigation is continuing.
No details about the cause of death were released.
In a statement Wednesday afternoon, RMC commandant Brig.-Gen. Eric Tremblay said news of LeClair's death was met with sadness by all at the college.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. As a small, close unit, this affects all of us here at RMC,” Tremblay stated.
A search for LeClair began Tuesday. An OPP dive team and a search-and-rescue helicopter crew from CFB Trenton were called in to help.
The Forces’ National Investigation Service investigates serious or sensitive service or criminal offences against defence department property and personnel. The organization has jurisdiction over military personnel on Canadian Forces' properties and on exercises and missions abroad.
“If something is suspected to have happened on DND property, it's ours,” Holder said.
OPP Sgt. Kristine Rae said because the investigation originated at RMC, the military retains the lead role in the case, Rae said.