• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Master Cpl Erin Doyle -3 PPCLI - Afghanistan- Aug/ 11/ 2008

RIP Soldier  :salute:
You will not be forgotten  :cdn:
We will remember you  :salute:
Condolences to Family,,Friends,,,And Comrades..
Fallen Comrades Heros All  :cdn:
On bended knee I salute you  :salute:

scoty b

RIP MCpl Doyle,

My deepest sympathies to his wife and little girl, his family, friends and Regimental Family.  :salute:

:cdn:

I hope the wounded troop recovers fully and quickly.

Oh crap.  I think I know him.  The name and face are familiar with someone who was in the same mo' unit with me back in the day.  Does anyone know if he in the militia in BC prior to joining the Regs?

RIP, MCpl Doyle.

:cdnsalute:

EDIT for clarity.

Doyle grew up in Kamloops, B.C., and was a former reservist with the Rocky Mountain Rangers, according to a report by the Kamloops Daily News.

<a href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=82127195-0e01-4cfa-a199-c37c0d16ace3">From the Vancouver Sun</a>

Definitely sounds like the Erin I knew.  Damn.

B.C. soldier killed in Afghanistan
Master Cpl. Erin Doyle was killed Monday during a brief attack by insurgents

Graham Thomson and Jason Hewlett, Canwest News Service and Kamloops Daily News
Published: Monday, August 11, 2008

B.C. - The Afghanistan conflict has claimed another Canadian life, this time an Edmonton-based soldier who grew up in Kamloops.

Master Cpl. Erin Doyle was killed Monday during a brief attack by insurgents against a Canadian combat outpost in the middle of Taliban territory.

Doyle was serving with the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. A second, unidentified, soldier was wounded during the attack and was reported to be in good condition.

Doyle's stepfather, Bob Mitchell, said he and Doyle's mother, Kathy Mitchell, were notified of their son's death in a phone call from Doyle's wife, Nicole, at 1 a.m. Monday.

"It is pretty devastating," Mitchell said.

Doyle, who leaves behind his wife and a daughter, Zarine, was on his third combat tour in Afghanistan and was remembered by his grieving comrades as physically imposing but gentle in nature, earning him the nickname the "Friendly Giant."

Mitchell said family members had their fingers crossed that Doyle would return safe from this tour, as he had the previous two.

Doyle is the second B.C. native to die in Afghanistan in just over two months. Capt. Jonathan Sutherland Snyder, 26, a Penticton native and also with Princess Patricia's in Edmonton, died June 27 when he fell into a deep well while on foot patrol.

Doyle "was a big tough mountain of a man who enjoyed the outdoors," said Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, commander of Task Force Afghanistan. "He was a true warrior and just the person you would want beside you in a firefight."

He was killed when half a dozen Taliban fighters fired a few shots at the outpost, as they do on an almost daily basis, before retreating.

"What they tend to do is fire a few harassing rounds and then they'll disappear into the woodwork," said Thompson. "The combat outpost was engaged in a classic shoot-and-scoot fashion and unfortunately Master Cpl. Doyle was killed by a direct hit on the outpost."

Doyle is the youngest of five children. He graduated from Westsyde secondary in Kamloops and took a heavy-duty mechanics course at the University College of the Cariboo, now Thompson Rivers University.

He craved excitement and joined the Rocky Mountain Rangers, where he met Nicole. The couple eventually moved to Edmonton and became full-time soldiers.

Doyle did one tour in Bosnia prior to his deployment to Afghanistan. Kamloops MP Betty Hinton presented him with a Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal for community service in 2002.

In 2000, Doyle delivered 14 backpacks loaded with school supplies to a small village in central Bosnia. The supplies were collected by students at John Tod elementary, where Doyle's mom was a secretary at the time.

Regimental commander Lt. Col. Ken Jyrkkanen took command of the rangers after Doyle's involvement. He said the death was a blow to the regiment.

"He was a ranger. That really hits close to home."

Thompson acknowledged Doyle was posted in a dangerous area.

"They're in combat outposts because these are difficult areas where the insurgents have a reasonable grip," he said, adding that there is no thought to shutting down the outposts just because they're a target.

"The only other option is, you leave the population completely uncovered and you leave them completely at the mercy of the Taliban, and that's not what we're here to do. We're here to bring security to the people."

Chief Warrant Officer Chris White said Doyle "was quite intimidating to look at him but he had a good sense of humour."

Tears welling in his eyes, White remembered Doyle as a good-natured friend who once volunteered to be the Santa Claus at a children's Christmas party. However, even with a beard and costume, the physically imposing soldier "scared more kids than he cheered up," said White with a smile.

White said Doyle was "the kind of guy you'd like to sit down and have a beer with."

© Canwest News Service and Kamloops Daily News

Hi,

I will try and post funeral details as soon as I have them.

I was wondering if we have any details on the wounded. How they are doing and so on?

RIP Erin, you will be missed.

Marc.

das2 said:
Hi,

I will try and post funeral details as soon as I have them.

Thanks das2.  I'm curious if the service will be in Kamloops or Edmonton...

3160qjk.jpg

"To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die."

<a href="http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/news.shtml">From the Kamloops Daily News</a>

Council observes moment of silence
by Michele Young

He was the 90th Canadian soldier to die in Afghanistan.

But Master Cpl. Erin Doyle was the first casualty for Kamloops.

As Kamloops City council gathered at city hall Tuesday for the regular weekly meeting, the Canadian and City flags hung unmoving in the still air at the top of the two poles out front.

Mayor Terry Lake opened the meeting by calling for a moment of silence for Doyle, who grew up here and served with the Rocky Mountain Rangers before signing on with the Edmonton-based Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry.

Deputy corporate officer Cindy Kennedy gave a reading in keeping with the solemnity of the occasion, quoting the 23rd psalm that starts, “The Lord is my shepherd. . . .”

Lake said he has spoken with RMR regimental commander Lt.-Col. Ken Jyrkkanen about what would be fitting as a way of honouring the fallen Kamloops-raised soldier.

Some kind of service or other memorial is still under discussion, Lake said.

Council then unanimously passed a resolution to lower the flags to half staff.

And so the red-and-white maple leaf and the blue Tournament Capital of Canada flags were lowered out of respect and loss.

And by the day’s end, they were fluttering in the small breeze that arose as the sun set.

RIP Erin :salute:

Tough to be a Patricia in this war...

There is an article about M\Cpl Doyle in Legion Magazine.  :salute:

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/2009/03/the-life-and-death-of-erin-doyle/

simysmom99 said:
That was a great article!  THanks for sharing!

Totally agree!!!!

It is always nice to put a personality to the face.  These are guys are what makes Canada so great!!!  And they all have common ground and are all so different.  Makes me VERY proud!!!  :cdn:

An article in legion magazine. I thought it was unreal. I am sure there are a few people on here that knew him personally, and I hope you all think that this article did justice to a man that was obviously a great soldier and great person.

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/2009/03/the-life-and-death-of-erin-doyle/

Personally one of my favorite parts:

"Now, that’s not to say that McMichael and Doyle always got along perfectly. Doyle, being Doyle, loved to screw with those in authority until they managed to earn his respect.

McMichael remembers, quite clearly, the first time he met Doyle, when he took command of the platoon as a lieutenant.

As McMichael says, he’d already seen Doyle’s picture on the regiment website and knew he was a handful, but he wasn’t expecting the welcome he got. “I walked into the platoon office and he was sitting there. He looked up at me and said, ‘get the f**k out of here.’"

RIP :salute:

Back