• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut

It just seems like something very callous to say and not required.

It just sounds like the usually  segue into comments about "the illegal and unjust war in Afghanistan and Iraq where US drones are dropping bombs on children in Pakistan while they fight for oil (tm)."

Maybe I'm wrong.

I find the whole event disgusting, what bothers me the most is that you can't prevent it, and it will happen again.  It's sad, but I don't even flinch anymore when I find out some nut shot up a mall/post office/McDonalds but when kids 6 and 7 years old are targeted and gunned down, I lose a little faith. 

It is the events that happen after the fact that drive me insane.  I know America always needs a "hero", it happens every time, the media seems to pick that one person who will be the "hero".  Beamer got 9/11, and now it is Victoria Soto, young, pretty, American girl who sacraficed her life to save others, the cynic in me thinks if she were unattractive and over weight we would be focusing on the Principal who reportedly lunged at the shooter, or any of the other staff who clearly were just as heroic.

Then we get garbage like this in the media  "A friend of Ms Soto wrote online: 'I talked to Vicki on Tuesday and she told me that she loved her 16 angels and never wanted to let them go."  Why on earth would that come up in normal conversation, I don't buy it at all.

Just my cynical views on a crappy Monday morning.

ObedientiaZelum said:
It just seems like something very callous to say and not required.

It just sounds like the usually  segue into comments about "the illegal and unjust war in Afghanistan and Iraq where US drones are dropping bombs on children in Pakistan while they fight for oil (tm)."

Maybe I'm wrong.

No, not intended that way at all.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
It is the events that happen after the fact that drive me insane.  I know America always needs a "hero", it happens every time, the media seems to pick that one person who will be the "hero".  Beamer got 9/11, and now it is Victoria Soto, young, pretty, American girl who sacraficed her life to save others, the cynic in me thinks if she were unattractive and over weight we would be focusing on the Principal who reportedly lunged at the shooter, or any of the other staff who clearly were just as heroic.

Then we get garbage like this in the media  "A friend of Ms Soto wrote online: 'I talked to Vicki on Tuesday and she told me that she loved her 16 angels and never wanted to let them go."  Why on earth would that come up in normal conversation, I don't buy it at all.

Just my cynical views on a crappy Monday morning.

Cynical or not, I agree with you.  I'm already tired of the nonfactual BS on Facebook and will not even look at the news.

Dolphin_Hunter said:

Meh, it's quite possible for that to come up in a normal conversation.  We talk about our kids all the time to our friends and spouses, just like you mention work. 

Could definitely be sensationalized, but yes....we teachers do care about our kids.  Even if they drive us crazy a lot of days.

PMedMoe said:
No, not intended that way at all.

Sorry I meant Winnipegoo's post not yours. I read his post in a different context than yours thats all.

Of course the usual suspects are going to milk this tragedy for all its worth, and expect the usual rinse/repeat arguments for gun control (most of which ignore the fact that there has been gun control in place since the 1930's in both Canada and the United States, with very limited effect).

For anyone who argues that seizing firearms will prevent mass murder, contemplate this headline:

Sabotage is behind the Bangladeshi factory blaze that killed 112, probe finds

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/17/sabotage-is-behind-the-bangladeshi-factory-blaze-that-killed-112-probe-finds/

Whatever the answer is, it will have to do with fixig the mind of the killer, not the tools they use.

From Red Green's FB page

I don't like to preach but I think we should all pray for the families in Newtown and hug the people we care about. I meet thousands of good honest decent people every year. People are good. Life is good. Don't let the evil win.

I feel this is a more appropriate picture.

sandy-hook-crying-santa-800.jpg

This should not turn into a gun control debate, nor should it become politicized.

This should be about remembering 20 innocent lives taken too soon in a senseless attack.

There are lots of other threads that can be started or added to for discussion of all the other crap that will swirl around this awful tragedy.

Tommy said:
This should not turn into a gun control debate, nor should it become politicized.

This should be about remembering 20 innocent lives taken too soon in a senseless attack.

There are lots of other threads that can be started or added to for discussion of all the other crap that will swirl around this awful tragedy.
:nod:

Don't let the evil win.

I wrote a column for my Outdoor Site indicating that evil was the enemy here: http://www.fishcamphunthike.com/guns-again/blog-70/

Tommy said:
I feel this is a more appropriate picture.

sandy-hook-crying-santa-800.jpg

26 my friend.

Totally agree. 100% heart felt sympathy, I could only imagine if that happened to one of my children (To any parent, its probably one of the most dreadful thoughts), it must be emotionally crushing. May they eventually find peace with it.

As for those that want to make this a platform for an agenda, please don't. This is such a crazy and random act by someone extrememly messed up that a tornado would have been easier to predict.

muskrat89 said:
I wrote a column for my Outdoor Site indicating that evil was the enemy here: http://www.fishcamphunthike.com/guns-again/blog-70/

Excellent article muskrat! :salute:

muskrat89 said:
Well put!  Not an easy solution, but one that needs considering.

ObedientiaZelum said:
26 my friend.

20 innocent children.
7 innocent adults.
1 murder/suicide.
2 hospitalized in serious condition.

If you really want to get picky.

George Wallace said:
20 innocent children.
7 innocent adults.
1 murder/suicide.
2 hospitalized in serious condition.

If you really want to get picky.

Thank you for correcting my mistake, the link I clicked on only stated 26.

NRA releases first statement since Newtown shootings

The National Rifle Association released it's first statement since the shootings in Newtown, CT on Tuesday. The statement reads as follows:

The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.

The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.

Details will be released to the media at the appropriate time.

http://www.ksla.com/story/20376031/nra-releases-first-statement-after-newtown-shootings

daftandbarmy said:
NRA releases first statement since Newtown shootings

The National Rifle Association released it's first statement since the shootings in Newtown, CT on Tuesday. The statement reads as follows:

The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.

The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.

Details will be released to the media at the appropriate time.

http://www.ksla.com/story/20376031/nra-releases-first-statement-after-newtown-shootings

Almost strange that they are the only organization that has given time to mourn and proper thought to a reasoned response amongst all the knee jerk reaction politicians and special interest groups. ::)

recceguy said:
Almost strange that they are the only organization that has given time to mourn and proper thought to a reasoned response amongst all the knee jerk reaction politicians and special interest groups. ::)

I am sooooo sick of the media feeding frenzy over this shit....enough already!!!  ::)

GAP said:
I am sooooo sick of the media feeding frenzy over this shit....enough already!!!  ::)

You really expected a different response from them?

Back