• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marvel to relaunch Alpha Flight

HavokFour

Inactive
Reaction score
AlphaFlight442.jpg

The Relaunch of Alpha Flight

Article

It’s not everyday you get to talk about Canadian superheroes (well, besides the Vancouver Canucks), but on today’s show I get a chance to talk to the American who is bringing back the real kind – the ones in unitards and extraordinary powers.

For those not in the comic book world anymore, Alpha Flight is the name of a Marvel series that featured a team of Canadian superheroes with names like Guardian, Northstar, Aurora and Sasquatch. The series ended in 1994, but it’s coming back with a relaunch June 8. Here's a teaser.

According to the Vancouver Sun: In the new eight-part miniseries, a newly elected, ultraconservative government is pushed in a severely right-wing direction amid a climate of fear and fright. This after super-powered terrorists attack Vancouver on the fictional Canadian election day. In the series, titled Fear Itself, the paranoid, Fascist government (led by the fictional Unity Party) even turns on its own mutant team, declaring Alpha Flight traitors and vowing to hunt them down.

While I'm not too keen on the direction this miniseries is going, I'm happy that it was brought back from the dead.

For those that have never heard of Alpha Flight before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Flight

Alpha Flight is a fictional superhero team published by Marvel Comics, noteworthy for being one of the few Canadian superhero teams. Created by John Byrne, the team first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #120 (April 1979).

Throughout most of its history, the team has worked for Department H, a fictitious branch of Canada’s Department of National Defence that deals with super-powered persons. Most team members have distinctly Canadian attributes, such as Inuit or First Nations heritage.

The team was originally merely a part of the backstory of the X-Men’s Wolverine but, in 1983, Byrne launched an eponymous series featuring the group, which continued until 1994.

OHOH.......might have to delve into the "won't be worth anything" boxes, dig 'em up and wrap them.

I'm off to go raid the Comic Book Shoppe downtown, toodles. ;D

"Department H".  Abbreviates to DH.  So, the Canadian military has superheroes in a location that abbreviates to DH.

What a crazy bit of comic book fiction.

Alpha Flight is (was/will be again) awesome. One of the titles that got me collecting back in the day....except maybe for Puck...what was the deal anyway?

I have to share the concern about the story line, I think it's more a reflection of the way the Marvel universe has been panning out lately, more than any commentary on domestic politics (though it is possible....do ex-pages write for Marvel?).

Wook

For the record, technically they are disney characters now  ;D

Back