• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MARS Officer

SirRobin said:
It's been mentionned that the MARS officer MOC  has one of the highest failure rates in the military. What are the main sources of failure and when do most occur? How can I best prepare myself?

Thanks to anyone generous enough to share info on this.

I notice your profile is blank.  What step are you at in your military career?  Have you begun the application process?  Have you been accepted for MARS yet?

If you read through this thread, as well as doing a search on the boards for MARS, you will find a large source of information that should answer most, if not all, of the questions that you have.  If after reading through all of that you have more specific questions, please ask them here, and I am sure that they will be answered.

I had read the thread and some others. Did some more searching and and found more info about the NOAB which just seems like a good time. But I'm afraid

I am currently in the Army reserve as an enlisted and have written a note to my commander to the effect that I want a transfer to the Navy reserve as a MARS Officer. I already have a BA and so I will be a DEO.

Here are a few, hopefully more specific, questions. If the MARS O MOC has one of the highest failure rates, there must be reasons behind that, what are they? What challenges, tests, etc make it have one of the highest failure rates? I have difficult making my question specific because I am basically asking "what are the known unknowns*?".

Also, what is NOPQ? A search turns up two results that don't explain the meaning of that term. Surely something along the lines of: "Naval Officer Something Qualification". What's the "something"?

* From my perspective, not from the perspective of those who might know the most common mistakes that result in failure.

NOPQ is Naval Officer Professional Qualification.  In short, once you reach your first ship you will have three main qualifications to complete.  Officer of the Day (OOD), Bridge Watch Keeping Certificate (BWK), and NOPQ (used to be C of C II).  Once you have OOD, BWK and all appropriate NOPQ signatures you will be nominated to sit a board.  Upon successfully challenging the board you are awarded NOPQ - which means you are now eligible for the rank of Lt(N) and able to proceed with D Level training...

As for the failure rate, it really depends.  There is a variety of skills all requiring different aptitudes.  It depends on an individuals strengths and weakness.  It is, as well, a steep learning curve.  I could tell you "on my MARS III most guys dipped (insert training objective here)" - but it would probably be anecdotal and of not much use.  If you do want further info on it, however, just PM me and I'll spin some dits.

I did a search for this question and I only found a few general answers, but feel free to criticize my search skills if this has been asked before  :p

I'm considering about four different options right now, two of them are RegF MARS and Res MARS. I was wondering what kind of non-sea based jobs MARS officers have gotten when they leave. Previous discussions mention only that they've been hired in jobs requiring management and problem solving skills, but not any specifics (not a jab at anyone, but a manager at Tim Horton's technically fits that description). Is it difficult to find good work after leaving the navy?

Also, in regards to MARS NavRes, I was wondering if employers ever let the employees take 10 weeks off during the summer for training. Does anyone have any experience with this, or is the training usually taken while in between jobs?

Marsh said:
Also, in regards to MARS NavRes, I was wondering if employers ever let the employees take 10 weeks off during the summer for training. Does anyone have any experience with this, or is the training usually taken while in between jobs?

Typically, a MARS trainee is a student.  This fits in well with the majority of MARS courses, as they are scheduled for the summer (May - Aug).  A student can then take 3-4 years to do their training, one summer at a time.

There is sometimes the chance/option that you can take your MARS training all at once.  You would need to let CFRC and your home unit know your preference and why, and they might be able to get you loaded on the RegF courses that run throughout the year.

As for time off from work, that is dependent on your employers.  There are many cases and many stories to match of reservists that have great employers and get time off with their pay topped off, right down to those that get fired if they even ask for a training night or weekend off.  The CF has an organization that is attempting, and often successful, in helping with this.  You can find more information on this if you search for "Canadian Forces Liaison Council (CFLC)".

navymich said:
As for time off from work, that is dependent on your employers.  There are many cases and many stories to match of reservists that have great employers and get time off with their pay topped off, right down to those that get fired if they even ask for a training night or weekend off.  The CF has an organization that is attempting, and often successful, in helping with this.  You can find more information on this if you search for "Canadian Forces Liaison Council (CFLC)".
:eek:
Isn't that illegal?

There is no job protection under Canadian law. Here is a link to the CFLC and the reasons for employers to voluntarily allow their staff to take time off work.

Okay MARS wannabee's, try this for some practice before you hit the simulator or the real thing: http://www.pacificshipwrecks.ca/english/game_flash.html

I made it as well... only took two tries. :D
Now the reason for my post:
What are the different D-level courses available? And what does the "D" stand for?

Edit: Never mind, found my the answers in the other MARS Officer thread. The options are FNO/SAC/AAWD/ASWD, and the D stands for Director. :-[ my bad. I will search next time.

Just speculating here as I have no connection with the recruiting world: Given the current situation with the MARS occupation being hugely underborne I would think that if someone had a pulse they would get through NOAB. Just don't go into your interview at the end of the week and tell them you have a sick, tortured mind - might put them off a bit. Back in my day it was called NOSB and heaven forbid I eeked my way through. Still technically a MARS-BAR after 20 years but of the Clearance Diving flavour now. Where does the time go? Answer: It goes by very quickly when you're having fun!
Strength in Depth!

I'm not sure this is the case.  In my NOAB this last October there were 27 applicatants and 21 of us made it.  The lieutenants that acted as guides expressed surprise at the number that were turned down.  From what I could tell, most of them seemed to themselves have been on NOABs where there were 40-50 applicants with 3-4 turned down.  This wasn't a scientific polling by any means, but you probably know how it goes on NOABs - we talked to anyone we could find about their experiences.  Even so, 6 out of 27 is hardly a statistically significant change, but it certainly doesn't indicate they are desperate.  Or maybe it just indicates the Navy is getting a lot of sick, tortured minds applying. :)

navydiver said:
Still technically a MARS-BAR after 20 years but of the Clearance Diving flavour now. Where does the time go? Answer: It goes by very quickly when you're having fun!

I went for a fascinating tour at a clearance diving training school during my NOAB.  I'm not sure I have the gusto to go clearance, but it got me thinking about trying for the ship's diving team.

Reven said:
I'm not sure this is the case.  In my NOAB this last October there were 27 applicatants and 21 of us made it.  The lieutenants that acted as guides expressed surprise at the number that were turned down.  From what I could tell, most of them seemed to themselves have been on NOABs where there were 40-50 applicants with 3-4 turned down.  This wasn't a scientific polling by any means, but you probably know how it goes on NOABs - we talked to anyone we could find about their experiences.  Even so, 6 out of 27 is hardly a statistically significant change, but it certainly doesn't indicate they are desperate.  Or maybe it just indicates the Navy is getting a lot of sick, tortured minds applying. :)

I went for a fascinating tour at a clearance diving training school during my NOAB.  I'm not sure I have the gusto to go clearance, but it got me thinking about trying for the ship's diving team.

MARS Training is extremely expensive and consumes a lot of time and resources. They obviously found out things about those 6 that led them to believe that they were not suitable for training and would not be successful if accepted...good on them. It doesn't matter how desperate we get we cannot compromise on some basic things. When I was a junior MARS Bar and finally got my own watch, I remember the feeling of responsibility I had for the 225 people sleeping below on my first Mid-watch on my own. A multi-million dollar piece of equipment with 225 souls is a heavy responsibility for a young person to shoulder...better we weed them out early if they can't cut the mustard...IMHO

Back