• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MARS Officer

In regards to NOAB?  I highly doubt any university or university professor would have a problem altering exams / paper due dates for something like this.  Ask, and if they say no, talk to your dean.

T

Leo791989 said:
Not sure if I have to do an aptitude test..i did one in february 06.
Thanks
I don't know how long the aptitude test is good for, but I think your one in February would probably still be good unless you didn't score high enough to go officer, in that case you would have to re-do it.

Thank You.
So, basically what you're saying is that there is a good chance of getting an invite to goto NOAB. And since Iam starting my university this fall. I am not sure if they'd want you to take a week off for NOAB's. Those who have gone to universities can concurr with me on this...especially late feb..early march(mid terms etc).
So in regards to NOAB. Any advice on it?
Thanks

You going into first year?  Then I wouldn't worry too much about writing exams during Feb or March (most first year courses tend to only do exams at the end of each semester).  And even if they do you'll have the dates for them well in advance (they'll be listed in the syllabus at the start of the year).  ANd if there is a conflict go to the prof well in advance and explain, unless they're a total prick they'll probably let you write before or after the NOAB. 

Missile Man said:
SeaDog spins some truth, some fiction in his post cats.  One thing you youngsters need to reel in nice and early is that there is no common sense in the MARS profession.  No, they will not look at how much they have dumped into you for trg and say "hey, we should keep this cat around, he cost us tons!".  One of my buds out here just pulled himself off of the ORO Course, so ostensibly the Navy has dumped just over 1.5 million to get him there, then another 1.2 million for the ORO Course.  Guess what?  They almost punted him, but he barterred for a recruiting job inland.  *If nothing else, this job is never a sure bet, even after you are post d-level.  However, as we are currently over 175 MARS Officers (post d-level) short in the fleet today, chances are they will keep you around.  However, at the NOPQ stage, and up until you pass your d-level, you are expendable.  Remember, you are not useable to the career mangler in Ottawa until you are done your d-level tour, then you are eligible for purple jobs (recruiting, basic trg, JHQ etc).
So Fred, don't buy a house until you are done your d-level course.  Until then you are the peanut shells beneath the boots of Ottawa.
SeaDog, yes, most cats get several cracks at their NOPQ (C of C II for us oldies) board.  However, if you can't pass that board after 2 or three cracks, they need to seriously consider another career path, I just sat a TRB for an unsuccessful NOPQ candidate and we booted him into TDO.  We usually send the dead weight to either Int or TDO, somewhere far from the coast, Ships, and the ability to put people in body bags.

I disagree that all deadweight ends up in Int and TDO.  I see a great deal of it inside the MARS world; I've heard, first hand from very senior officers that "we'd rather have someone mediocre than no one at all"; in general it is usually the full-chested huffers-and-puffers that bring down the MARS world -- keep in mind, that when the collective "we" complain about the Navy's problems, it MARS officers who are running the Navy!!

Also, the 1.5 milllion dollar figure for training is a myth that's been around since I was in training.  It IS very expensive to train us, but nowhere near that number, if true cost-accounting is used -- breaking all the costs including individual salaries, salaries and expenses at training units, costs of sending ships to sea, etc.

Why doesn't the recruiting centre know as much as they should, well, frankly (and surprisingly) the recruiting command and the three elements are quite disjointed, and between the commands and the recruiting centres there are often serious miscommunications and conflicting goals.

I think that every MOS has an important role to play, that people should take pride in their role and do it as well as possible.

I just want to thank those who contributed to this.  I was just called today with an invitation to the NOAB next month.  Needless to say, I'm the whole gambit of nervous to excited.  As I'm 36 and entering on the CEOTP, I'm competing against younger, more educated DEO applicants.  So I appreciate the time you spent answering the original poster's questions.  Every bit of information helps me prepare - though I think perhaps the preparation has been more in the last 15 years than it will be in the next month.

I'm curious about the dinner they have at the boards.  The officer who performed my interview was a pilot, and when he spoke of the NOAB I got the impression that he saw it all as pomp and circumstance.  Is this actually a black-tie affair, or something a little more casual.  I'd like to know what to pack for this.

I'm curious about the dinner they have at the boards.  The officer who performed my interview was a pilot, and when he spoke of the NOAB I got the impression that he saw it all as pomp and circumstance.  Is this actually a black-tie affair, or something a little more casual.  I'd like to know what to pack for this.

I went as an observer in 2003 and it was a casual dress affair but bring a jacket and tie and you will be fine.  There will be a package given to you before you go and it will tell what is going to happen, when it is going to happen, where it is going to happen, why it is going to happen and what o bring to make it happen.  Patience grasshopper.

kincanucks said:

I went as an observer in 2003 and it was a casual dress affair but bring a jacket and tie and you will be fine.  There will be a package given to you before you go and it will tell what is going to happen, when it is going to happen, where it is going to happen, why it is going to happen and what o bring to make it happen.  Patience grasshopper.

Good advice...jacket and tie will likely be the order of dress. I would say the Pilot is giving you bad advice. This is a Board where they are looking to see if you have the stuff to make it through 2 years of gruelling training and then a life at sea doing some lengthy deployments and sacrificing a lot in order to be a member of a proud family. I would take this seriously and not listen to the "pomp and circumstance" routine. It's not black tie but they will be looking to see if you know how to conduct yourself socially....officers are expected to go to high profile events in foriegn ports and at home that require couth and tact. If you show up in your tee shirt and runners you might be setting yourself up for failure.

However, do make sure you bring comfortable shoes and clothes for your day at sea.  I have been on the MCDVs for several NOAB day sails where the girls are in shoes with heels and the guys are in dress shoes.  Not easy on the feet all day at sea, and not safe either for grip or ladders and such.  Recommendation for your daysail is loafers or deck shoes, nice khakis and golf or dress shirt, with a windbreaker in hand.  Definitely not the place for suit and tie, or even a dress for that matter.  But above all else, follow any direction given to you in your package as mentioned earlier by Kincanucks.  The above are just my observations.

The NOAB will be doing an alongside tour aboard HMCS YELLOWKNIFE, and Navymich's observations are excellent advice, at sea and alongside.

Only alongside this year?  That's too bad.  I'm sure the tour and information passed on will be informative and such, but I always found that the real experience was actually heading out to sea.  Even with just a daysail, there is so much more that happens, between seeing personnel standing watches, and being in their actual job, showing off the capabilities of the ship, seeing the different organizations that close up for evolutions and emergencies, and so on.  Besides, then you can see who has the sea legs and the stomach for sailing.  :D

Gus said:
The NOAB will be doing an alongside tour aboard HMCS YELLOWKNIFE, and Navymich's observations are excellent advice, at sea and alongside.

Moooohahahahaha! See you Tuesday!  >:D

navymich said:
I'm sure the tour and information passed on will be informative and such...

Then again, maybe I should rescind this part!!  Just kidding, the crew, especially that Cronicbny guy, are knowledgeable people that will represent the Navy well.

If there is an alongside tour of Yellowknife, I'm sure it's in addition to a cruise - the itinerary I received indicates one at least.  Three hours set aside for it - a three hour tour. :)

If any of you will be there next week, I hope to meet you.

No sailing for the tour of YELLOWKNIFE, that much I can say for sure.

I just arrived home ysterday.  The board accepted me!  I suppose I'd better get a new avatar now. :)

We ended up sailing on HMCS Winnipeg as at the time they thought Vancover's anchor had fouled (it ended up being a problem with the winch).  We did get that alongside tour of Yellowknife that was pretty fun too. 

All in all it was an incredible week.  That last fifty foot walk down the corridor to get my results from the board was, well, perhaps the longest walk of my life.

Thanks to everyone who posted advice.  If folks think it would be helpful, I could post a rundown of the week for people who might in the future attend.

Congratulations Reven, and welcome to the Navy.  By the bye, the correct way to say that is that you sailed in WINNIPEG, not on WINNIPEG. (This is the kind of pedantic correction you'll now be in for; but as Jack Hawkins as the CO of the COMPASS ROSE in "The Cruel Sea" says, "It's a small point, but you may as well get it right".)

Congratulations Reven!

Yes, I think that you should post about your week, and the leadup to it.  I am sure that it will be very beneficial for future reference.

Arrrr welcome to ye! NOw the hard work begins.  ;D Congrats on your acceptance.

It's been mentioned that the MARS officer MOC  has one of the highest failure rates in the military. What are the main sources of failure and when do most occur? How can I best prepare myself?

Thanks to anyone generous enough to share info on this.

Back