• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MARS being renamed?

spinnaker

Inactive
Reaction score
Word on the street is that the MARS trade is going to be renamed to Naval Warfare Officer so that the name actually describes the job.

Anyone else hear anything about this?

I haven't heard anything about it, but it makes sense.  I was once told that we were called Warfare Officers before the 80's, but they changed the MOC name for recruiting purposes, but I can't currently confirm that.

The US Navy and Royal Navy "MARS" Officers are called Warfare Officers, either Surface Warfare Officers, Submarine Warfare Officers or Mine Warfare Officers in the Clearance Diver Branch. 

Actually, when I am meeting other foreign Navy Officers, introducing your self as a MARS Officer completely throws them off, until after some explanation they say.."Oh..a Navy Warfare Officer".

Its been changed over about the last 5 years here in Australia from Seaman Officer to Junior Warfare Officer.

J_dog said:
I haven't heard anything about it, but it makes sense.  I was once told that we were called Warfare Officers before the 80's, but they changed the MOC name for recruiting purposes, but I can't currently confirm that.

The US Navy and Royal Navy "MARS" Officers are called Warfare Officers, either Surface Warfare Officers, Submarine Warfare Officers or Mine Warfare Officers in the Clearance Diver Branch. 

Actually, when I am meeting other foreign Navy Officers, introducing your self as a MARS Officer completely throws them off, until after some explanation they say.."Oh..a Navy Warfare Officer".

Ive had the same issue when civilians ask me what I do for a living.

"Err. well you see, I am a MARS officer!"

Everyone always looks at me funny, or they think I work for NASA.  Changing the name would make sence, but then it would get abbreviated to NWO.  That just sounds cheesy.

They are renaming Mars?  First Pluto is no longer a planet, and now this?  :crybaby:

Well, since MARS is an acronym, why not just spell it out for them what it means?  "Hey, I'm a Martime Surface Warfare Officer" (or whatever MARS means).

ltmaverick25 said:
Ahem..
Maritime Surface and Sub Surface officer!

And how the f**k do you get MARS out of that?

You should be a MSSO

NFLD Sapper said:
And how the f**k do you get MARS out of that?

You should be a MSSO

Its not like I named the MOC...

But my guess is

(MAR)itime =MAR
Surface and Sub Surface = S

So instead of saying MARSS they cut out one S

I seem to recall that the term prior to unification was 'Seaman Officer' and I had thought that it became MARS with unification. Of course I could be wrong with that as I have not been in quite that long. I tend to use the term MARS with others who are in the know, for everyone else, I go with Naval Officer.

Sailorwest:

Actually in the RCN we were called the "executive branch', there were also 'engineering branch', pilots (back when we had a fleet air arm), paymasters, instructors, padres, medical branch and so forth. Each had its own coloured braid between the rank stripes. The RN later renamed their MARS equivalents Seaman Officers (and I guess later renamed them) but by then the CF had invented the MARS Classification. SO far as I know the MARS name has been around since the 1960s, Surface Warfare Officer (or Submarine Warfare Officers or maybe even Mine Warfare Officers) sounds OK to me, perhaps clearer and easier to understand than MARS to recruits.

In expressing what I did in the navy I also use the generic term Naval Officer to explain what I did to civilians. In fact however all of the above branches were naval officers.

This leads me to ask the question: What will hey call reserve BWKs? Reserve SWO, or just Mine Warfare Officers? Thoughts?

I cant see them giving reserve MARS different MOC names since the training they do is absolutely identical all the way up through MARS phase 4.  Having different names across reserve and reg force would only further complicate matters.

Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface Officer?

Shouldn't it be Maritime Surface Officer for the skimmers

and

Maritime Sub-surface Officer for those who are the elite (dolphin wearing).

Not both!

For the new name, may I suggest: Sea Integration Surface/Subsurface Yeoman.

Or SISSY for short...

I notice that your MOC is Logistics and to be polite, I'll resist the temptation to engage in reply. ;)

dapaterson said:
For the new name, may I suggest: Sea Integration Surface/Subsurface Yeoman.

Or SISSY for short...

Sailorwest said:
I notice that your MOC is Logistics and to be polite, I'll resist the temptation to engage in reply. ;)

Yes we wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of the day working bin-rats now would we. :D

All right, all right, then how about Expeditionary across all Geography Officers, or EGO for short?

Or even GWFCWBTKMOE, short for "Guys Who Find Creative Ways to Break Things to Keep MARE Officers Employed".

(says the guy with the "REMF and proud" t-shirt..."

dapaterson said:
All right, all right, then how about Expeditionary across all Geography Officers, or EGO for short?

Or even GWFCWBTKMOE, short for "Guys Who Find Creative Ways to Break Things to Keep MARE Officers Employed".

(says the guy with the "REMF and proud" t-shirt..."

I thank you for your well thought out and constructive suggestions, but, I dont think we have much use for your services at the moment.  I suggest you get back to not properly supplying your unit or formation  ;D

ltmaverick25 said:
I thank you for your well thought out and constructive suggestions, but, I dont think we have much use for your services at the moment.  I suggest you get back to not properly supplying your unit or formation  ;D

Hey!  We always supply properly.  It's just the pesky users/clients who don't want the proper things.

If you were supposed to have size 10 feet we'd have size 10 boots for you.  Since we don't have size 10 boots, obviously, we're not at fault - it's your feet that are defective!

Back