• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

If you fail a course it would undoubtedly bring your overall average down. You make it sound as if you are giving up too easily and looking for the easy way out instead. Why not just work harder and see a tutor or ask your teacher for some extra help.

I have to agree with the above poster, my son has always struggled with math but he refused to let it get to him. He went for extra help saw a tutor for 2-4 hours a week, even when he didn't have math in the semester and started on calculus knowing he would have to take it IF he got into RMC. It did bring his average down a bit but with hard work it didn't make to much of a difference as he was accepted into RMC for Military and Strategic Studies. Don't give up and look for the easy way out, there is no such thing if you make it in. Good luck to you, it's definitely a challenging road but I think it has made my son a better person for going through it.

KLP said:
I have to agree with the above poster, my son has always struggled with math but he refused to let it get to him. He went for extra help saw a tutor for 2-4 hours a week, even when he didn't have math in the semester and started on calculus knowing he would have to take it IF he got into RMC. It did bring his average down a bit but with hard work it didn't make to much of a difference as he was accepted into RMC for Military and Strategic Studies. Don't give up and look for the easy way out, there is no such thing if you make it in. Good luck to you, it's definitely a challenging road but I think it has made my son a better person for going through it.

Well said KLP. Especially the part about no such thing as an easy way out if you make it in. C'mon habsman18 (and I choke on your screen name for other reasons...) we want the soldier to be able to do 21 push-ups. Really, the soldier that JUST does the required amount is a QUALIFIED soldier. The soldier that goes above and beyond and does 35 or 40 push-ups is a DESIRED soldier. Know what we are sayin? Just don't give up - you recognized a fault, bust your hump trying to fix it.

I think the Habs thing says it all...

Can of worms - opened!!  :worms:

You really should try harder, but I'm sure they won't look at your grade 11 marks too intensely. Consider this, in grade 11 your mom/sister/aunt/cousin dies and you are unable to attend school out of grief, eventually you fail grade 12 but come back for a victory lap and leave with a 60 average. 2 years go by and you're thinking about your options, you're sick of working at K mart or wherever you work. You take courses at an accredited online school and you pull off 90's in all of your classes, putting you in the 93rd percentile. Are you telling me that they're going to look at your application and say "pff this kid is horseshit" or are they going to think "this kid's lived a little, he knows his mistakes, he's not going to mess up this chance"

All in all, pull up your socks, but don't worry about it. Life's about making mistakes, ROTP isn't looking for child prodigies, just dedicated people. They're taking a chance on you, and they're going to take a chance on the person who has the most drive to succeed.

If you don't get in you don't get in though, if it's really as hard as all of these guys are saying and they go back to your grade 8 marks, then with your 96 average from grade 12 you could just go to uoft and join a few clubs to stay active, get a co-op and pay off your school a couple years after graduating. If you really wanted to you could even apply as an officer after that....just a thought.

RotpDodsy said:
You really should try harder, but I'm sure they won't look at your grade 11 marks too intensely. Consider this, in grade 11 your mom/sister/aunt/cousin dies and you are unable to attend school out of grief, eventually you fail grade 12 but come back for a victory lap and leave with a 60 average. 2 years go by and you're thinking about your options, you're sick of working at K mart or wherever you work. You take courses at an accredited online school and you pull off 90's in all of your classes, putting you in the 93rd percentile. Are you telling me that they're going to look at your application and say "pff this kid is horseshit" or are they going to think "this kid's lived a little, he knows his mistakes, he's not going to mess up this chance"

All in all, pull up your socks, but don't worry about it. Life's about making mistakes, ROTP isn't looking for child prodigies, just dedicated people. They're taking a chance on you, and they're going to take a chance on the person who has the most drive to succeed.

If you don't get in you don't get in though, if it's really as hard as all of these guys are saying and they go back to your grade 8 marks, then with your 96 average from grade 12 you could just go to uoft and join a few clubs to stay active, get a co-op and pay off your school a couple years after graduating. If you really wanted to you could even apply as an officer after that....just a thought.

I'm not sure what to take from this post other than a big old bag full of nope. Your screen name leads me to believe you have either applied for or are currently in ROTP... but it sounds like you are well outside your arcs. Your empty profile doesn't help. Officers are supposed to lead (by example), and "good enough" just doesn't cut it. There are options available to the OP to boost his attractiveness to the military. Many were mentioned in this thread. All of them involve hard work, full stop.

You know, I felt like I wanted to say something to RotpDodsy as well, but not quite sure how to ... phrase... Your post was close to what I was thinking - more of the "Stay in your lane" type of thing. Habsman got the info he was searching for - no need for coddling. Or trying to read the minds of those in a position to action an application. That's just... off...

The message behind my post was more to the tune that trying hard is important, but things do happen. You guys are right, officers do need to lead by example. What's more of an example than succeeding when all odds are against you? I feel as though both of you feel entitled to your opinion, and you are. But just as you said to me that attempting to judge how the RMC or ROTP accepts their candidates I could say the same to both of you. Unfortunately I am not "coddling", only hoping to add another type of advice to the mix of things, especially considering the advice I gave is the exact situation of friend of mine currently attending RMC found himself in last year. (had terrible grade 9-12 marks but took extra courses online to get an average in the 90's for grade 12)

RMC looks at your top 6 grade 12 marks, just like any other unviersity or college....

You both need to reconsider how you approach others, hostility is not necessary. How's that for a big bag of "nope"....

RotpDodsy said:
The message behind my post was more to the tune that trying hard is important, but things do happen. You guys are right, officers do need to lead by example. What's more of an example than succeeding when all odds are against you? I feel as though both of you feel entitled to your opinion, and you are. But just as you said to me that attempting to judge how the RMC or ROTP accepts their candidates I could say the same to both of you. Unfortunately I am not "coddling", only hoping to add another type of advice to the mix of things, especially considering the advice I gave is the exact situation of friend of mine currently attending RMC found himself in last year. (had terrible grade 9-12 marks but took extra courses online to get an average in the 90's for grade 12)

RMC looks at your top 6 grade 12 marks, just like any other unviersity or college....

You both need to reconsider how you approach others, hostility is not necessary. How's that for a big bag of "nope"....

Ummmmm?  Are you actually trying to be smart, or just lucked out at it?  You do know what happens when you poke a hornets nest, don't you?  If you really want to be a smartass, you really are entering a fight with both your hands tied behind your back; so it may be advisable to temper your attitude when you post again.

RotpDodsy said:
The message behind my post...

I understand that you are trying to be optimistic and support the person who is in a time of trouble, and I appreciate that you took the time to do that for a random stranger. However, in your original post you said things like "I'm sure they [recruiters] won't look at your grade 11 marks too intensely," and "ROTP isn't looking for child prodigies, just dedicated people," which make it seem you speak on behalf of the ROTP as a representative of sorts, which you are not. There are members on this website who have worked directly or indirectly in the ROTP recruiting process who would be better apt to be the judge of the situation.

So, instead of making statements that may be untrue, harmful, or misrepresented by people genuinely looking to seek answers to their problems, you should consider sticking to the more general advice you gave when you said "All in all, pull up your socks, but don't worry about it."
:2c:

George Wallace said:
Ummmmm?  Are you actually trying to be smart, or just lucked out at it?  You do know what happens when you poke a hornets nest, don't you?  If you really want to be a smartass, you really are entering a fight with both your hands tied behind your back; so it may be advisable to temper your attitude when you post again.

I'm not too worried about it, George Wallace, I responded to both parties with only respect. Something you clearly lack for others, given your intent on malice over a trivial discussion you were not part of..

dangles said:
I understand that you are trying to be optimistic and support the person who is in a time of trouble, and I appreciate that you took the time to do that for a random stranger. However, in your original post you said things like "I'm sure they [recruiters] won't look at your grade 11 marks too intensely," and "ROTP isn't looking for child prodigies, just dedicated people," which make it seem you speak on behalf of the ROTP as a representative of sorts, which you are not. There are members on this website who have worked directly or indirectly in the ROTP recruiting process who would be better apt to be the judge of the situation.

So, instead of making statements that may be untrue, harmful, or misrepresented by people genuinely looking to seek answers to their problems, you should consider sticking to the more general advice you gave when you said "All in all, pull up your socks, but don't worry about it."
:2c:

Thanks, however I was only speaking from someone that is aware of how acceptance works.

Of course NO rotp representative would come on here and say what I said, that wouldn't make sense. It'd going directly against their academic values. Just as no other university would speak out and tell high school students that grade 9-11 don't actually matter..

That being said, I can see how my original post came off as "don't worry about it slack off" and the message I should be sending should be more mature than that. I believe that if someone makes mistakes in highschool enough times, it will prevent them from achieving their goals as easily as they could of otherwise. I'd suggest then to the original poster that from now on he focuses his time on his studies, something I've always done and am a big promoter of.

I appreciate your civil response.

fatjohnthebarber said:
I'm not too worried about it, George Wallace, I responded to both parties with only respect. Something you clearly lack for others, given your intent on malice over a trivial discussion you were not part of..

George is a site moderator here (hence the big DIRECTING STAFF under his handle).
He is a representative of the site owner and therefore part of every discussion. He is also trying to give you some sound advice about your future on this site (and in the CF). You were called out on posting about something of which you know little (that is frowned on both here and in the CF). If you think my post was hostile, you are in for a very steep learning curve.

Believe it or not, I also was a part of the ROTP program before seeing the light (darkness?) and changing occupations. I am well aware of the selection process and what makes an applicant a good applicant. I am also aware of what seperates a good applicant/university student from a good officer. If you want people to take your opinion more credibly, I would highly suggest you fill out your profile so people get an idea as to your background. This way, they can weigh your opinions based on your experience. Currently, we can only guess, and you know where my guess stands on your experience.

fatjohnthebarber said:
Thanks, however I was only speaking from someone that is aware of how acceptance works.

Of course NO rotp representative would come on here and say what I said, that wouldn't make sense. It'd going directly against their academic values. Just as no other university would speak out and tell high school students that grade 9-11 don't actually matter..

So if someone is just starting their Gr 12 academic year and there are NO mid-term marks available, then how can you say that Gr 11 marks don't actually matter?  Not to mention, some ROTP Occupations do actually have "mandatory" Gr 11 courses.

And if you are aware of how acceptance works, then you would have known that and also that there are "3-stages" to the process.    :salute:

DAA said:
So if someone is just starting their Gr 12 academic year and there are NO mid-term marks available, then how can you say that Gr 11 marks don't actually matter?  Not to mention, some ROTP Occupations do actually have "mandatory" Gr 11 courses.

And if you are aware of how acceptance works, then you would have known that and also that there are "3-stages" to the process.    :salute:

I was wondering when you were gonna get here!!

I am 16 and currently in grade 11. I want to join the navy and go to RMC. My marks are in the 70%-80% range. I play field hockey for a club team and I volunteer as a field hockey coach. I am also in my school's leadership program where I volunteer to help my community. I am working my hardest to improve my marks and help solidify my chance of getting into RMC. I have a low mark in my English 11 class where I have a mark of 62.5% I plan on going to summer school to improve this mark up to a minimum of 85%. I am highly motivated and am willing to put forth all my effort into improving my grades up to a 85% average and getting excepted into RMC. Thanks. :cdn:

ANY TIPS ON IMPROVING MY COMPETENCY FOR RMC?

This is my first time posting on this forum I apologize if i made any mistakes in making this thread.

Justin Wickware said:
ANY TIPS ON IMPROVING MY COMPETENCY FOR RMC?

This may help,

Michael O'Leary said:
This forum on RMC is full of tips. Start reading into the threads and you'll many things that others have done to make themselves more competitive. Fitness and sports, leadership of clubs/teams, volunteer activities ... all these things balance scholastic achievement to show oneself to be a well-rounded candidate. Read on, explore, discover.

Unfortunately, I'm very worried about this as well. I'm currently on my final year of high school and applied to the Aerospace Engineering Officer trade. I have been generally a high 80 to 90 student throughout high school. But this year due to the lack of focus, and an unhealthy amount of time spent on extra-curricular activities, my Advanced Functions mark is in the 60s.

I finished my interview last month and am now waiting for the call. Hopefully my extra-curricular can substitute for the marks. Maybe repeating Advanced Functions in night school next semester will help?
Thanks!

https://www.rmcc-cmrc.ca/en/registrars-office/prerequisites-province#Ont

Have a read....grade minimums  are usually 75%

You may have to retake and up your grade to be considered for selection.

In the end its RMCs call if they take you.
Civy universities have their own requirements.

sidemount said:
https://www.rmcc-cmrc.ca/en/registrars-office/prerequisites-province#Ont

Have a read....grade minimums  are usually 75%
Thank you for that link. It clears some misconceptions considerably!

Saw this in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding it here for future reference,

GED question 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/122483.0/topicseen.html
"i received my GED back in 04/05 in the state of Virginia."

Saw this in Ask a CAF Recruiter. ( 2016 )

Adding here to update the discussion,

Joining the CAF forces wanting to know info
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/121695/post-1411104.html#msg1411104

OP: "Would I still be able to join the forces in infantry if I haven't graduated/am not currently attending school but have intentions of going back in after I get my life started?"

Back