• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Warfare Basic Course

LittleMagellan

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,
I noticed a message came out in Jan/Feb for nominations for loading on the Maritime Warfare Basic course, and that as a MARS officer it said junior MARS officer, rank Slt-Lt(N) (if I remember correctly). I was just wondering at what point you would be loaded on such a course (in the MARS trade), because to be honest this is the first time I've heard of it since being posted to a ship, and was wondering if it's a required qualification or if it's a specialty course of some sort.
Thanks,
LM
P.S. I don't even know what you learn on it, I'm assuming naval tactics of some sort. If anyone could provide more general info of the unclassified nature that would be great.

It is a very good course. I very much enjoyed it. I did it quite a few years ago so i don't know if the contents have changed.

IIRC, it is a requirement for MARS officers.

LittleMagellan said:
Thanks! What's IIRC? An older acronym for NOPQ?

Give it a week and I'm sure it will be. [/sarcasm]

Although I am behind you in the stream, I too have never heard of this course before.  What sort of things are taught?

Operational Planing Process for the most part, through syndicate work and an warfighting exercise at the end on the computer simulation network. Throw in some lectures on tactics and technology as they relate to naval warfare. I did mine in 2008 so things have likely changed a bit since.

Is there only MARS attending to this course or is there other naval officer categories too?
Maybe NCS ENG officers?

F3m5h3p said:
Is there only MARS attending to this course or is there other naval officer categories too?
Maybe NCS ENG officers?

I can only speak for my course but we had MARS and Navy LOG on it.

When I did the course in 2000 (IIRC), there were a lot of MARE Officers (who didn't seem interested in the course), a few Sea King pilots, a few MARS officers, and a few senior NCMs on the course as well.  I thought that it was a fun and informative course.

CDN Aviator said:
Operational Planing Process for the most part, through syndicate work and an warfighting exercise at the end on the computer simulation network. Throw in some lectures on tactics and technology as they relate to naval warfare. I did mine in 2008 so things have likely changed a bit since.

Thank you.

Thanks for the info. From what I heard it used to be a requirement way back when for CFCD 2, but it's not a requirement for NOPQ anymore. I wonder who gets sent on it these days in the MARS world.

Sounds like the Naval Ops Course (NOC)... Its coming to an end very soon. NOC will be divided among all phases of the new MARS II, III, IV... You'll notice I didn't say NETP-O. So this must be a course for the none MARS type. Maybe.

LittleMagellan said:
Thanks for the info. From what I heard it used to be a requirement way back when for CFCD 2, but it's not a requirement for NOPQ anymore. I wonder who gets sent on it these days in the MARS world.

It's one of the prereqs required for NAVRES MARS officers (along with BOC and WDO) in order to be loaded on the Coastal Operations Course (COPS).. which qualifies them to become OpsO's of Minor War Vessels (and COPS is also a prereq for promotion to LCdr).

Huh, interesting. Didn't know it was a requirement for PREs MARS. I talked to some subbies in the fleet now that were sent on it because they weren't getting sailing time and there was nothing better for them to do... Their general consensus was that it was a waste of time, but I take those types of opinions with a grain of salt. NOC was definitely a waste of time, and I'm glad they're incorporating it into MARS Trg now. There was A LOT of unclas info on NOC that they could have incorporated into MARS 2-4... the classified stuff can wait until they get to the fleet.

Did the course a number of years ago and it was very interesting, especially the exercise on the end. It also gives a clearer picture of whats going on the world as well.

Back