• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Officer Selection Test ( MOST ) - merged

I think there may be some confusion with one form of punishment as opposed to a general term referring to men under punishment/men up for punishment.

In the Navy, "defaulters" has two possible meanings: It may refer to seamen that need to be seen by the Commanding Officer for  summary trial (come before the mast). They were usually heard at the same time as request men, usually 15 minutes after secure - meaning at 16h15.

In the old days, it could also refer to those seamen that had been found guilty of a minor offence. Some of those may have been punished with extra work or have their leave cancelled. This extra work (and for those Required On Board, their being sighted as such) was carried out before and after the day's activities. Therefore, it took place before breakfast (07:00) or after night rounds (19:30). Those defaulters condemned to extra work were therefore mustered for this extra work (and the R.O.B. sighted in their number one's) at 05:00 and 20:00 daily for two extra hours in the morning and one in the evening. Those specific, condemned, defaulters were the ones usually referred to as the 5 and 8 men.

I wrote it this afternoon. Not only did I pass, everyone I wrote it with (two people) did as well. It was remarked that it was the first time in a few years that's happened.

Hey guys! I applied for Naval Warfare Officer (DEO), and finally been selected for the OST. Any of you have any links to some prep advice or any personal experience with the test that can help me out? My recruiter would only tell me that its nothing like the CFAT and there's no way to prepare for this test :/ Thanks in advance!

P.S. I scored 42/60 on the CFAT, did particularly well on mental math and problem-solving.

Hi crlemesur,

You will likely have more luck if you search this forum for the Maritime Officer Selection Test (MOST) on this forum. As far as I know, it's an exam which is only completed by MARS/NWO DEO applicants (ROTP applicants like myself never had to write it, go figure). The most comprehensive thread that I can recall on this forum is located here:

https://navy.ca/forums/threads/51566.0.html

A fundamental component of success as a junior NWO is the ability to prioritize large amounts of information in a short period of time. There's a saying that you'll likely hear at some point along the lines of "The 80% solution now is almost always better than the 100% solution too late" or words to that effect. From what I have read on this forum that seems to be the foundation of the MOST.

Ultimately, I wouldn't sweat it too much. As someone who has trained a number of SLts from initial arrival to the Fleet post-NWO IV to NOPQ/FNO, I can tell you that a positive attitude and a willingness to learn trumps innate skill every time. From what I've seen the NWO recruiting/training community also understands this.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have more questions about the training system or the trade.

Well, I wrote the MOST today. The only tip I can add to the previous tips in this forum is to practice your SDT calculations and that is honestly all you can do to prepare. The hardest part about the test was the time limitations. The test is 60 multiple choice, broken up into 5 sections with 3 levels of difficulty (see link below). My advice during the test is to skip the long questions that involve a bunch of mental math because it takes too much time to estimate some of the answers, do the quick and straight forward ones first, then go back to the longer questions. As far as I know, the questions are all weighted the same and you need 24/60 to pass (see link below). Good luck to all future NWO applicants!

https://bootcampmilitaryfitnessinstitute.com/military-training/canadian-armed-forces-caf/canadian-armed-forces-caf-recruitment-selection-overview/

Hi All,

I have found this to be best resource out there as to what the MOST consists of if you have the patience to read it. I refer specifically to pages 18 through 20, although the rest of it gives good insight into what exactly is being tested. It is a publicly available Master's thesis (copyright of the author).

http://library2.smu.ca/bitstream/handle/01/22430/blanc_sebastien_j-r_masters_2003.PDF?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Hi, this is my first time on here. I am scheduled for the MOST and I could not find any information about it. i was wondering if someone can help provide any idea of what the test is about and how to prepare for it. Thanks so much.

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am scheduled to write the MOST and I was wondering if anyone who has written the test can give me a general idea of what to expect and how to prepare.
p.s. I have read the other posts regarding MOST on this forum but was wondering if there are any other tips anyone can offer.
Thanks so much

ali759 said:
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am scheduled to write the MOST and I was wondering if anyone who has written the test can give me a general idea of what to expect and how to prepare.
p.s. I have read the other posts regarding MOST on this forum but was wondering if there are any other tips anyone can offer.
Thanks so much

What's going on? Hopefully this isn't too late for you.

Go in with a clear mind, read instructions carefully, manage your time! I wrote with an individual who has a master's in engineering and didn't pass... probably overthought the test. All things considered, it's very straight forward.

Position(s) Offered:
Military Police Officer
Naval Warfare Officer

Applied: 06/04/2019
First Contact: 06/14/2019
CFAT: 07/31/2019
MOST: 10/10/2019
Medical: 10/29/2019
Interview: 10/29/2019
Background check: 11/11/2019
Competition List: N/A
Position Offered (NWO): 11/28/2019
Swearing In: 12/17/2019
BMOQ: 01/11/2020

Hi Beentrill,
Thanks for your reply, it's not too late. Did you manage to finish on time? And also how did you study or prepare for the test?

Afternoon everyone!
I'm in the middle of (well Covid-19 got in the middle of) my COT into the NWO trade from InfO. My CoC has granted my COT and now I guess my next step is to write the MOST exam.
However for the LIFE of me I haven't been able to find any information on what I need to study, and as base is at minimum manning, neither myself nor my CoC can get in touch with our PSOs to find out any information for me.
Could anyone provide any information on the formatting of the exam, and what to kind of expect topic wise? I've been studying up on basic math, mental math, large number multiplication and division, speed distance time stuff and a little "boat A is doing X boat B is doing Y will they collide" type questions (thankfully my sister is a physics major!! hahaha) but I just feel like I'm walking in blind, missing something I should be studying or not studying the right things at all.

Any information regarding the test structure and what to study would be a huge help, and I'd really appreciate any information that can be provided! :)

Hope you're all staying safe and Covid free!

MaggieDozer said:
I guess my next step is to write the MOST exam.
However for the LIFE of me I haven't been able to find any information on what I need to study,

https://navy.ca/forums/threads/51566.0
3 pages.

mariomike said:
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/51566.0
3 pages.

I've read through those pages before, I'm just concerned that the information there is outdated as some of the posts (the majority really) are from 2006... The test material hasn't been augmented in the last 14 years?

MaggieDozer said:
I'm just concerned that the information there is outdated as some of the posts (the majority really) are from 2006...

There are 53 posts in this discussion.

2 are from 2006...

Most recent: December 06, 2019

lol, we still store the ships using a chain of people to pass it along just like Nelson did.  14 years old is just when it's starting to pick up some flavour!

And no, the format won't really change. They may have a few versions, but if it works, no need to fix it.

Not really much you can study for it anyway; it's about testing your ability to follow instructions, recognize patterns and get things done within time limits, not about previous knowledge. Other then making sure you have a good night sleep before hand, and taking a deep breathe before you start not sure if you can do anything really to prepare.Think engineers typically have an easier time with it because those skills are all baked in from undergrad, but lots of people with random arts degrees (or no degree) have passed it.

MaggieDozer said:
Afternoon everyone!
I'm in the middle of (well Covid-19 got in the middle of) my COT into the NWO trade from InfO. My CoC has granted my COT and now I guess my next step is to write the MOST exam.
However for the LIFE of me I haven't been able to find any information on what I need to study, and as base is at minimum manning, neither myself nor my CoC can get in touch with our PSOs to find out any information for me.
Could anyone provide any information on the formatting of the exam, and what to kind of expect topic wise? I've been studying up on basic math, mental math, large number multiplication and division, speed distance time stuff and a little "boat A is doing X boat B is doing Y will they collide" type questions (thankfully my sister is a physics major!! hahaha) but I just feel like I'm walking in blind, missing something I should be studying or not studying the right things at all.

Any information regarding the test structure and what to study would be a huge help, and I'd really appreciate any information that can be provided! :)

Hope you're all staying safe and Covid free!

Ex Infantry Officer, who spent a decade in the Army here.  I am now an NWO and completed the MOST three years ago as part of my OVOTP application.

I can't discuss the specifics of the test itself but I would recommend practicing word and math problems.  Or playing mind games that focus on patterns and logic to prep for the test.

The MOST will test your ability to solve problems under time constraints and also your ability to pay attention to detail.  There is an academic paper available online which explains what the test is. It's not a difficult test to pass but you won't get a 100% on it and I wouldn't worry about that because if you did, you should probably be working for NASA as opposed to the RCN.

Get a good night sleep, be well rested and just relax when you write it.  I did it with absolutely no prep and didn't even realize it was a thing until I got told a day before by BPSO to come in and write it. 

You'll be fine!

Is it okay to make a joke about it being a test designed for MARS officers to pass, and that even infantry officers can make it through? Maybe with port/starboard crayons? I hear port crayons are the tastiest :whistle:

(also flashing back to seeing someone mark up a few nav points on a map with a red grease pencil, then having the transit take a lot longer then expected due to weather and then going to red light precautions... they had to run off for a few minutes to redo it in black. Good times on NETPO.)

I have never ever seen the entire enemy trace in a CP disappear under red light, with a puzzled Lt trying to figure it out.  Not once.

Well, not in the past eight months since I retired, at least.

Navy_Pete said:
Is it okay to make a joke about it being a test designed for MARS officers to pass, and that even infantry officers can make it through? Maybe with port/starboard crayons? I hear port crayons are the tastiest :whistle:

Red crayons are the tastiest ones. Green is second.

Back