• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Engineering Mechanic

Hi....Ive been a stoker for almost 22 years now. It's a great trade to have hands on. A must is Math, Physics, Chemistry to have.....although this is mostly needed during your QL5 training level.....but a good mechanical mind is needed when trouble shooting issues within the engineering spaces....it's high stress at times when things aren't working right but most times it's a great job. Working conditions are harsh at times depending where in the world you are, so be prepared to work in hot, noisy conditions. Rank progression is somewhat of a problem at this time. A few things have changed and certain qualifications are needed prior to progressing as were needed before......but all in all....I couldn't think of a better trade to be in.....we are a world apart from others on the ship......If you are not a stoker...you're a passenger.....lol...Good luck with you career.

Stokedondiesel said:
Hi....Ive been a stoker for almost 22 years now. It's a great trade to have hands on. A must is Math, Physics, Chemistry to have.....although this is mostly needed during your QL5 training level.....but a good mechanical mind is needed when trouble shooting issues within the engineering spaces....it's high stress at times when things aren't working right but most times it's a great job. Working conditions are harsh at times depending where in the world you are, so be prepared to work in hot, noisy conditions. Rank progression is somewhat of a problem at this time. A few things have changed and certain qualifications are needed prior to progressing as were needed before......but all in all....I couldn't think of a better trade to be in.....we are a world apart from others on the ship......If you are not a stoker...you're a passenger.....lol...Good luck with you career.
Welcome aboard! - You may very well be in a better position to offer up advice. I like your "If you're not an stoker-you're a passenger" line. I might incorporate that in my "internal" signature block at work!

I am also interested in this position but having a hard time finding if it recieves any spec. pay. Does anyone know if it does orwhat the posibilities for promotions are?

Promotions will follow the norm with the exception of the next little bit due to a qual change at a specific rank level (PO2-MS). Don't worry-Joining now, this hick-up will no longer exist by the time you get there.
Spec 1 at the LS level once completed ALL QL5 req'ts (Course, OJPR and exam/Board) - realistically a minimum of 5-6 years.
Spec 2 (as of this fall) at the PO2 level once completed ALL QL6 req'ts (Course, class trg, OJPR, exam/Board) - again a realistic minimum of around 9-10 years. Note-the change here is that you must be fully qualified at the QL6 level (as a MS) to get promoted to PO2 and subsequently receive Spec 2.

I am pretty sure it says on the recruiting website that the trade does incur spec pay.

have you guys check the number on how many spots are open for stoker?

I would like to know just curious.

The Mar Eng intake per year for the last 3 yrs has been 80-100 pers which is a world of difference from just a couple of yrs ago where we struggled to get 40.

By mid December, there will be over 70 PATs (personnel awaiting training, what you are/do between BMQ and initial trades training) waiting for a Mar Eng Mech QL3 course.  some of these people won't be seeing a QL3 until August 2012.  I know, a helluva long time to wait.

As to how many current spots are open, I may know next week since that very subject is up for discussion in Esquimalt.

Cheers,

Grimey

Overall... i was told today by people that trade is closed off. I was talking to other guys about stuff... its a little hard coming off to basic and doing netp along with trades course. I have alot of experiance but its just alot of paper work and time to wait which i don't have time. As much i wanna sit and wait a whole month that isn't my cup of tea. Sometimes you have to fight tooth and nail to get what you want. Plus the best part is i have no time to get ona dnd computer and set up my email account which is a pain. No offense alot paper work gives me a head ache.

Bam_dice said:
No offense alot paper work gives me a head ache.

Not to worry. Your career will be short since you cant get used to paperwork and your rank will remain low as you wont be able to look after troops (lots of paperwork involved in that).

Why do you always have to say smart remarks?
Your everywhere yet it bothers me alot...
Just wondering why.... do you even care?
Yet your combat enginerre.

Just illustrating for you that paperwork, and lots of it, is a reality you need to warm up to if you want to move up and make this a career.

And I am not a combat engineer. Try reading my profile again. Good try though.

You do have a point there but thats life. What can you do.... So what do you think about stoker trade and how its going to unfolded in the next couple of years CDN Aviator.

So your a pilot i am taking a wild guess.

Bam_dice said:
So what do you think about stoker trade

Well, the few people i know who are/were stokers had very good things to say about it. Other than that, i don't see "pig-of-the-port" ending as a stoker sport any time in the future.

So your a pilot i am taking a wild guess.

:facepalm:

haha... true. i think they want the stoker to ovepopulate the boatswain...  is my guess.

Bam_dice said:
haha... true. i think they want the stoker to ovepopulate the boatswain...  is my guess.

And I says "Pardon"???!!!

Apart from the fact they are two pretty different trades, aside from being Navy, they're two genetically different creatures that can't be crossbred outside of a laboratory...though they've been known to try after any number of drinks - kind of like dogs humping whatever they find to try and say they're Alpha.

MM

Does anyone have any idea whether this trade is open or not? I have spoken to a few recruiters, each with different answers. At first they were saying to wait until the new fiscal year, but one officer said that it was open with a subsidized education.

It is closed right now however the reserves are hiring and we are starting to place personnel on CPF's to qualify for their AMOC.

Bam_dice said:
Isn't that trade going to be open in april?
Due to the new budget cuts

Don't really know, but there is a great backlog of personnel waiting to be trained.

Yea its going to be interseting couple of months and there losing alot stokers to the new ship contracts in halifax.

Back