• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Electrician

Cleric515

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello to everyone, I thought I would make an account since I've been cruising the forums for a couple months now. Basically my question is to anyone whose gone through the "prior learning assessment" I believe is what it's called. Just to give some info about myself, I graduated in June 2008 with a dual diploma in both Electrical/Electronic Technology and after a year of deciding what I wanted in a career I then decided to make an application for the Navy. I sent my papers in August 2009. I received a call in September stating whether I would be available for an interview and I of course said yes. They waived my aptitude test for me as I guess my post secondary education showed that I have some intellect, lol. So in October I went for my interview and medical all in one day. Right after the interview I was told that I was eligible for the position and he gave me a decision as to whether I would want to proceed with the prior learning assessment and I of course agreed to do that as I didn't want to have to repeat any of my schooling again. I believe the first week of November my medical came back stating that I was fit for the position but all that I'm waiting on is the status of what they're doing with my education.

I had to give a detailed course outline for all of my courses so I assume that they're going through that and seeing what it is equivalent to on their side. If anything I'm wondering how long this process should take as I'm hoping to receive "the call" in December and be on my way in January as I have refused all other job offers as this is truly my dream job.

Your PLAR could take several weeks as it goes to the Occupation Manager. It depends on what he/she says. What can happen is you can be enrolled as "unskilled" while your waiting for the PLAR to come back. It is a common practice to go this way. What happens is you are enrolled as if you had no skills coming in and when the PLAR comes back an amendment is sent with your updated info.

A lot of people get nervous about this but if you consider that you still have to do 14 weeks of BMQ the PLAR usually comes back well before that. If you wait for it to come back you may miss your opportunity to go to BMQ as we would have to put your position in the trade back in the system for someone else to take.

I just got off the phone with the officer who interviewed me and stated that if I were to go in as unskilled then my file would no longer be with them so it is just better for me to sit back and wait, also was informed that BMQ in January is all filled up so if anything I'd be waiting till February or march.

I have never heard of that before (????) I am back into work Thursday and will ask someone with DMTE (Director Maritime Training and Education) who is currently working out of CFNES in Halifax - He also happens to be an Electrician.
I know for a fact that we HAVE looked at PLARs for people going through BMQ and even QL3 - Most of this stuff (College Technologist Diploma) would be more applicable at the QL5 level I would think.

Whoever you talked to is correct. Once you enrol you are no longer under Recruiting control. However, your PLAR is still in and is still being looked at. It doesn't matter who recieves your ETP amendment. It is still received. We have sent many an ETP message to either CFLRS or even CFNES and CFFS(E). If you are entitled to something you will get it.

Plus, if you're going to get it anyways, in the meantime, it's probably a good idea to be; A) Getting basic training out of the way, B) Gaining seniority needed for further promotions, and C) Getting Paid.

Just sayin'.

What the CSE said is correct. (I know odd, agreeing with a CSE) :)  It's better to be getting a paycheque instead of hanging around waiting with you thumb in an uncomfortable spot. Once you get to your ship if you still haven't heard (not likely) the Chief "trod" will have a line to your Career Manager who makes the decisions if there is anything that's a problem.

One caveat, I suppose. I don't think this applies to your particular case (Since you described this as your "Dream job"), but there may be others who come searching for information like this later down the road. Join up now if you were going to join up regardless of the results of your PLA. If, however, your deciding to join up was contingent upon receiving a positive response to your PLA, then you may want to wait until the results are back. After all, as was stated, if you're entitled to something, you'll get it. But you can't be sure that you were entitled to it until the official word is in hand.

And, I also failed to mention the two other most important reasons to join up now rather than waiting. The clock starts on both your pension (It may seem like a long ways away, but when you're 48, those extra months will be welcome), and on the extra 5 days of leave a year that you get starting the instant you hit 5 years service. For that last reason alone, it would be best to be enrolled before the end of this current fiscal year, if you can arrange it.

As for FDO's sly CSE remark, well, I'm just going to be the better man and not respond in kind. Mainly because I don't want to be hit over the head with a monkey's fist.  :Constr:

you guys all make very valid points, it would be nice to be getting a paycheck  and have my pension starting but i don't know of anyone else that I could talk to about this, i feel i should just trust the officer who interviewed me because i don't want to appear ignorant in trying to do all this while he might be trying to figure something out for me

but if anyone can look into it for me further it would be greatly appreciated, i don't think it would be hard for someone to find my file either, i graduated from University College of The North in June 2008 under the Electrical/Electronic Technology Program and I highly doubt that there's anyone from that school applying to the army, specifically that trade as only 3 other people graduated with me that year and they all have jobs elsewhere.

I know its been awhile since this topic has been responded to, and I am wondering what would a civy Journeyman Electrician be equivilant to in the Navy? Would they credit you with your 3's course and make you an AB; or possibly even some of 5's? I've talked with people who do this trade and its a hard question because most Etechs don't know what is involved with civy training through the apprenticeship program,  and I have no outline as to whats covered in the 3's or 5's course.  Anyone ever come in with J'man papers and get credited through 3's because of your PLAR? I have my Electrical J'man papers and have been working as an Industrial Electrician for the past 6 years, I have also finished my first year Instrumentation schooling and time.  I have extensive training on PLC's, drive systems, hydraulics, nuclear guages, Anyone care to take a guess or know of any recognition that has been given before? I have my application in for this trade and am just interested what to expect. Thanks in advance; MQ  :salute: 

While I'm by no means authoritative on the subject, I would be surprised if a card-carrying Journeyman industrial electrician didn't get granted at least QL3 on a PLAR.  I also would not be surprised to see at least part of the QL5 course written off as well.  I've seen many Electronics Engineering Technicians be granted QL5 academics on PLARs (they still have to do class of ship equipment training, though), and there are definitely some parallels that can be drawn between the trades.

Have you submitted all your paperwork towards getting the PLAR?

I have submitted only my main application thus far. After the Master Corporal at the recruiting office went through my paperwork, he noticed that I have a Sister living in England and I have been filling out the "long form" for the background check. He told me about the PLAR process as well and I now have a binder full of all my certificates, marks, course objectives etc. put together to help make the process go a little more smoothly for whoever has to do it. This will be handed in when I hand in my long form. I have talked with ETechs who are LS, PO2, the Chief of Etech school, and PO1 who actually does the PLARs CFFS(E) and received some answers regarding the process of a PLAR and some occupational insight with regards to daily routines. Nobody had a concrete answer as to what would be credited with a J'man ticket. I plan on handing in my paperwork this week, I live 5 hours away from my nearest CFRC so I need to take a day off to drive there and hand it in. I would have couriered it but I was told during my last visit that there would be some papers I would have to sign regarding my previous experience in the reserves any idea what that would be?

Well I handed in my PLAR and indepth background check papers. After they looked at my qualifications they decided to put me as semi-skilled, so that may work in my favor. The bad news; ETech positions for this year number 25 across Canada with my CFRC allowing only 2 positions : both have been filled. Should I phone around other recruiting centers and see if they have positions open and apply through them, or am I bound to this CFRC because it is geographically the closest one available? Any info would be appreciated  :)

Back