• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maple Leaf Tartan now one of Canada's "official symbols"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from Canadian Heritage:
It's official! Canada's Maple Leaf Tartan, which has been our unofficial national tartan for many years, has now become an official symbol of Canada.

"The Maple Leaf Tartan has been worn proudly and enjoyed by Canadians for decades, but has never been elevated to the level of an official symbol–until now," said the Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages.

"Our national symbols express our identity and define our history. The Maple Leaf Tartan represents the contributions that the more than four million Canadians of Scottish heritage continue to make to our country," added Minister Moore.

The Maple Leaf Tartan was created in 1964 by David Weiser in anticipation of the 100th anniversary of Confederation in 1967.

"The tartan is one of the most visual expressions of Scottish heritage and culture," said the Honourable John Wallace, Senator (New Brunswick). "Making the Maple Leaf Tartan an official symbol of Canada highlights the many significant contributions that people of Scottish heritage have made to the founding of Canada."

The Second Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment Pipes and Drums has adopted the Maple Leaf Tartan, and National Defence Headquarters has approved it for issue for Canadian Forces pipers and drummers who do not have a specific regimental affiliation. It was also featured in costumes worn last year during the closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics.

On October 21, 2010, the Government of Canada announced that April 6 will be formally recognized as Tartan Day. This April 6, Canadians across the country will be able to celebrate this day with a new official symbol of Canada ....
Photo of what the tartan looks like (source:  Julie Oliver, Ottawa Citizen) attached.

milnews.ca said:
This from Canadian Heritage:photo of what the tartan looks like (source:  Julie Oliver, Ottawa Citizen) attached.

Goodness me... it looks like someone went to that 'waeve your own tartan' website and had a field day. Maybe they should have had a big contest and asked people to submit their ideas.

Go ahead Army.ca... here's your big chance!

http://www.house-of-tartan.scotland.net/interactive/weaver/index.html

Affectionately known as a "bumbee" tartan......

But no' quite sae bad as the Buchanan's

Kirkhill said:
Affectionately known as a "bumbee" tartan......

But no' quite sae bad as the Buchanan's

I haven't seen one as busy as the tartan we used for my daughter's kilt. The wife's side is Ogilvy and we had to get a cottage mill to produce it as none was to be had anywhere.

recceguy said:
I haven't seen one as busy as the tartan we used for my daughter's kilt. The wife's side is Ogilvy and we had to get a cottage mill to produce it as none was to be had anywhere.

You win  :piper:

daftandbarmy said:
Goodness me... it looks like someone went to that 'waeve your own tartan' website and had a field day. Maybe they should have had a big contest and asked people to submit their ideas.

Go ahead Army.ca... here's your big chance!

http://www.house-of-tartan.scotland.net/interactive/weaver/index.html
How about an Army.ca tartan, coloured, in order of seniority, with 30 units of navy blue, 20 units of army green, 10 units of air force light blue and 5 units of purple (for purple trades) to cover everyone participating here?

milnews.ca said:
How about an Army.ca tartan, coloured, in order of seniority, with 30 units of navy blue, 20 units of army green, 10 units of air force light blue and 5 units of purple (for purple trades) to cover everyone participating here?

Love it.

Strangely enough, that is very close to the tartan I designed for myself.

Next site membership swag an Army.ca sash?

milnews.ca said:

Excellent - you should consider adding the  :piper: emoticon though!

Back