• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mandatory to live on campus in University?

MedTech said:
YOU need to got DIRECTLY to a CFRC/D and speak with them. STOP trying to get answers from a group of individuals on line, that may, or may not know the full gist of what's going on. The best way to get your answer is to get it from the horse's mouth. CFRC/D is the place to go.

From personnal experience, CFRCs don't know the details of the day-to-day life of different programs.  So, coming here and hearing it from people that are living it/lived it recently is probably the best thing to do...

The OP's question was something that a recruiter at CFRC/D could have easily answered. The OP never asked about Common Law or Marriage status cadets in RMC. That was something that was dragged in to muddy the waters.

A friend of mine was a NCM combat engineer for some years before deciding to go for a comission.  He entered into the same academic program as I at a civilian university and never lived on campus.

The straight answer to the question is that ROTP civy u does not and never has required anyone to live on campus.

It is <b>not</b> mandatory to live on campus if you're attending a civilian university. You are solely responsible for your own accommodations, it is ultimately your decision whether you decide to live on campus or not. You will, however, receive PLD (Post-Living Differential, which is essentially a sum of money for "cost-of-living" assistance) for the specific area within which you reside during the year. Your PLD entitlement may be more or it may be less, depending on where you choose to live. For example, if you (like you mentioned) decided to go to U of T and lived downtown Toronto in the city core, your PLD entitlement would be substantially higher than if you were to live on the outskirts of the city (i.e., Richmond Hill)... simply because the cost-of-living is (in most cases) much higher in the city than it is outside of the city.

infamous_p said:
It is <b>not</b> mandatory to live on campus if you're attending a civilian university. You are solely responsible for your own accommodations, it is ultimately your decision whether you decide to live on campus or not. You will, however, receive PLD (Post-Living Differential, which is essentially a sum of money for "cost-of-living" assistance) for the specific area within which you reside during the year. Your PLD entitlement may be more or it may be less, depending on where you choose to live. For example, if you (like you mentioned) decided to go to U of T and lived downtown Toronto in the city core, your PLD entitlement would be substantially higher than if you were to live on the outskirts of the city (i.e., Richmond Hill)... simply because the cost-of-living is (in most cases) much higher in the city than it is outside of the city.

I was under the impression it came out of your wages. Thanks for that clarification since I may get put in one if not RMC (If ROTP at all, of course).

Marshall said:
I was under the impression it came out of your wages. Thanks for that clarification since I may get put in one if not RMC (If ROTP at all, of course).

Accomodations does come out of your pay, just like everyone else. PLD is an extra bit of money DND gives you if you live in a designated area, to help cover increased costs of living. To my knowledge, there is no area in which the PLD receieved entirely covers rent for 'standard' accomodations (i.e. an apartment). It exists just to help cover the cost of living in your area. If you live on base (i.e. in the shacks), you do not receive PLD.

Your starting salary as an OCdt (going to civvie-u) is just enough to cover rent on a single room, groceries and other essentials. Not much else. Same with the RMC folks, after all their deductions they are left with a little bit of 'pocket change'. My advice, start saving or have a civvie part time job lined up on the side if you want to 'live it up' in any way.

I can't believe it took two pages to answer the original question, until infamous_p gave the clearest answer so far. 

Be prepared to go through a lot of hoops to get yourself a civvie job on the side. It has to be authorized by the SEM, otherwise they won't let you work part time. Usually the only way you can get the go ahead is if you are living in a high cost city like Vancouver and are left with 50$ a month coming in after rent and food, which is not a long shot here where rents can start at 700 and 800$ a month, and that's in the not-so-wonderful parts of the city too.

Toronto does have enough PLD to cover rent...  With PLD in my last year ( almost 3 years ago) I was pulling in about 33K, which was more than enough as an university student

Intelligent Design said:
Be prepared to go through a lot of hoops to get yourself a civvie job on the side. It has to be authorized by the SEM, otherwise they won't let you work part time. Usually the only way you can get the go ahead is if you are living in a high cost city like Vancouver and are left with 50$ a month coming in after rent and food, which is not a long shot here where rents can start at 700 and 800$ a month, and that's in the not-so-wonderful parts of the city too.

Really? I told my SEM at our annual meeting that I had secured a civvie side job working security, and he said 'go for it'. Easiest thing I've ever done in the CF, to be honest.

Toronto does have enough PLD to cover rent...  With PLD in my last year ( almost 3 years ago) I was pulling in about 33K, which was more than enough as an university student

How much PLD were you making? And were you getting normal OCdt pay? Without PLD an OCdt only makes around 12 000 a year or so (off the top of m head an OCdt clears around 1000 or so a month without PLD). Just curious, as I had a buddy who was getting T.O. PLD (can't remember what zone, it was the one for the downtown core) as well as Pte pay (ex-reserve service) and lived right downtown and said it was a stretch (mind you, he wasn't living in the ghetto either).

Piper said:
How much PLD were you making? And were you getting normal OCdt pay? Without PLD an OCdt only makes around 12 000 a year or so (off the top of m head an OCdt clears around 1000 or so a month without PLD). Just curious, as I had a buddy who was getting T.O. PLD (can't remember what zone, it was the one for the downtown core) as well as Pte pay (ex-reserve service) and lived right downtown and said it was a stretch (mind you, he wasn't living in the ghetto either).

I think it was about $1400 base pay and about 1600 in PLD for the downtown core.  It went up from about 1300 suddenly while I was in my last year.

D3 said:
I think it was about $1400 base pay and about 1600 in PLD for the downtown core.  It went up from about 1300 suddenly while I was in my last year.

Ah, seen. Do you know what you were being paid as (i.e. did you join off the street or CT)?

Fresh of the street... OCdt, incentive level 3 by fourth year.

First of all when you are a Civvy-U student the only thing that the military is truly concerned about (obviously there is more but the jist of it is):
1. You enroll in full time studies and submit the tuition claim
2. you submit claim for Textbooks, PP&S (up to the annual limit)
3. You do the EXPRESS Test by 31 Dec of that year
4. You pass all your courses, you don't drop a course without permission, you don't change academic programs without permission etc
5. You don't get into any legal or financial problems.
6. All medical services are to be used in accordance to the medical policies
7. Need leave passes to leave the geographical area

As a civvy-u student you are responsible for(obviously there is more but the jist of it is):
1. Your housing, your food, your costs, you pay it, arrange for it, buy it etc
2. Submitting claims to your ULO, booking your EXPRESS test, submitting leave passes
3. Going to class, pass your courses, and be available for Military training in the summer periods.

The SEM does not care whether you live at home, in residence or in a rented apartment, your friends basement etc. They don't care how you eat, these costs are your choice, and you pay them, they are not deducted from your pay check.

Regarding having a part-time job, it is up to the discretion of the SEM and ULO. Many students do it, just make sure you clear it first and make sure it does not impede on your scholastic abilities.

Regarding PLD, here are the rates from CANFORGEN 061/08
IAW REF A THE FOLLOWING RATES ARE EFFECTIVE 1 APR 08, READ IN  COLUMNS: PLD AREA, FULL RATE:

ALDERGROVE, 418,
CALGARY, 711,
CAMBRIDGE, 71,
COLD LAKE, 319,
EDMONTON, 684,
GUELPH, 167,
HALIFAX, 631,
HAMILTON, 414,
KAMLOOPS/KELOWNA, 525,
KITCHENER, 62,
LETHBRIDGE, 234,
MEAFORD, 77,
MEDICINE HAT, 145,
MONTREAL NORTH SHORE, 505,
MONTREAL SOUTH SHORE, 376,
MOOSE JAW, 284,
NANAIMO, 75,
QUEBEC CITY/VALCARTIER, 117,
RED DEER, 327,
REGINA, 62,
SASKATOON, 382,
SEPT-ILES, 107,
ST JOHNS, 149,
STRATFORD, 82,
TORONTO AREA ONE, 1485,
TORONTO AREA TWO, 506,
TORONTO AREA THREE, 522,
TORONTO AREA FOUR, 819,
TORONTO AREA FIVE, 1167,
VANCOUVER, 1083,
VICTORIA/ESQUIMALT, 816, 

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cbi/includes/cbi_coverpage_e.asp?sidesection=6&docid=4 download this PDF, go to page 20, those are the rates for 2008 for all of Canada. These are adjusted each year. Just to point out a few things, the PLD rate is based on where you live not where you go to school. So generally if you are going to go to a school downtown Toronto, live downtown, its worth it!!! (unless you can live for free elsewhere, otherwise the rent is not much different, but the PLD doubles!). To find out what the geographical areas are covered by each of these cities your ULO should be able to provide you with the map zones for each area. Also PLD is a taxable benefit, but a nice one still.

Also PLD is the same no matter what your rank within the REG Force.

trentonmilwife said:
First of all when you are a Civvy-U student the only thing that the military is truly concerned about (obviously there is more but the jist of it is):
1. You enroll in full time studies and submit the tuition claim
2. you submit claim for Textbooks, PP&S (up to the annual limit)
3. You do the EXPRESS Test by 31 Dec of that year
4. You pass all your courses, you don't drop a course without permission, you don't change academic programs without permission etc
5. You don't get into any legal or financial problems.
6. All medical services are to be used in accordance to the medical policies
7. Need leave passes to leave the geographical area

As a civvy-u student you are responsible for(obviously there is more but the jist of it is):
1. Your housing, your food, your costs, you pay it, arrange for it, buy it etc
2. Submitting claims to your ULO, booking your EXPRESS test, submitting leave passes
3. Going to class, pass your courses, and be available for Military training in the summer periods.

The SEM does not care whether you live at home, in residence or in a rented apartment, your friends basement etc. They don't care how you eat, these costs are your choice, and you pay them, they are not deducted from your pay check.

Regarding having a part-time job, it is up to the discretion of the SEM and ULO. Many students do it, just make sure you clear it first and make sure it does not impede on your scholastic abilities.

Regarding PLD, here are the rates from CANFORGEN 061/08
IAW REF A THE FOLLOWING RATES ARE EFFECTIVE 1 APR 08, READ IN  COLUMNS: PLD AREA, FULL RATE:

ALDERGROVE, 418,
CALGARY, 711,
CAMBRIDGE, 71,
COLD LAKE, 319,
EDMONTON, 684,
GUELPH, 167,
HALIFAX, 631,
HAMILTON, 414,
KAMLOOPS/KELOWNA, 525,
KITCHENER, 62,
LETHBRIDGE, 234,
MEAFORD, 77,
MEDICINE HAT, 145,
MONTREAL NORTH SHORE, 505,
MONTREAL SOUTH SHORE, 376,
MOOSE JAW, 284,
NANAIMO, 75,
QUEBEC CITY/VALCARTIER, 117,
RED DEER, 327,
REGINA, 62,
SASKATOON, 382,
SEPT-ILES, 107,
ST JOHNS, 149,
STRATFORD, 82,
TORONTO AREA ONE, 1485,
TORONTO AREA TWO, 506,
TORONTO AREA THREE, 522,
TORONTO AREA FOUR, 819,
TORONTO AREA FIVE, 1167,
VANCOUVER, 1083,
VICTORIA/ESQUIMALT, 816, 

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cbi/includes/cbi_coverpage_e.asp?sidesection=6&docid=4 download this PDF, go to page 20, those are the rates for 2008 for all of Canada. These are adjusted each year. Just to point out a few things, the PLD rate is based on where you live not where you go to school. So generally if you are going to go to a school downtown Toronto, live downtown, its worth it!!! (unless you can live for free elsewhere, otherwise the rent is not much different, but the PLD doubles!). To find out what the geographical areas are covered by each of these cities your ULO should be able to provide you with the map zones for each area. Also PLD is a taxable benefit, but a nice one still.

Also PLD is the same no matter what your rank within the REG Force.

So If I am living off-campus in Halifax as CivvyU ROTP I will get an extra $631 for rent?  ??? wow

And If so, is this denied if you have a room mate?

Yes you will get it.  I don't have the PLD rules in front of me but I would think you would get it even if you lived on campus.  It isn't Military Single Quarters so in my mind it qualifies but something to check out.

Only if your roommate is also military recieving PLD would your amount change and then you would only get 75% of the $631

MJP said:
Yes you will get it.  I don't have the PLD rules in front of me but I would think you would get it even if you lived on campus.  It isn't Military Single Quarters so in my mind it qualifies but something to check out.

Only if your roommate is also military recieving PLD would your amount change and then you would only get 75% of the $631

Ok, No she is only a civilian. Well that would be a great help to me if I do get that amount to help pay for rent. That will pretty much tackle my half of the rent. I was expecting it to come out of my $1440. This is getting better everyday haha. Thank you.

Marshall said:
So If I am living off-campus in Halifax as CivvyU ROTP I will get an extra $631 for rent?  ??? wow

And If so, is this denied if you have a room mate?

Yes, that is how much you get for living in Halifax, but keep it mind this is before the taxes they take on it.  As stated above, you will get the full amount of PLD regardless of whether you live on or off campus, as long as you're not living with anyone else who is also getting PLD.  Between your Tier 1 pay as an OCdt. and Halifax PLD, expect to clear approximately $800 every two weeks.

boot12 said:
Yes, that is how much you get for living in Halifax, but keep it mind this is before the taxes they take on it.  As stated above, you will get the full amount of PLD regardless of whether you live on or off campus, as long as you're not living with anyone else who is also getting PLD.  Between your Tier 1 pay as an OCdt. and Halifax PLD, expect to clear approximately $800 every two weeks.

Considering I do not have to work for it, that is plentiful. Maybe I will get a 20 hour/week job 2nd semester or something if I am bored or feel like I need more money (If my SEM allows it of course). But I think I can handle that. :) Thank you for the information.

Back