• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Major Paeta Hess-Von Kruedener

Condolences to Mrs. Hess-Von Kruedener, R.I.P to the fallen soldier.  :salute:

Deepest thoughts and prayers to Mrs Hess-Von Kruedener

Sleep well Major you watch is done.

I have known HVK for more than 10 years, he is a real character. RIP, sir.  :salute:  :cdn:

Rest In Peace Major.

You and I crossed paths a few years ago, and I still smile when I recall our interactions.

My thoughts and prayers are with Maj HvK's family.

Roy Harding

:salute:
RIP Major.  Another sad day for the PPCLI, Canadians and our UN forces.
My deepest condolances to Mrs. HVK. and family.

Perhaps we should wait until the Major's status has changed from MIA ?

Wolf and I did Phase training together, commanded our first Rifle Platoons in the same company in 2 PPCLI, did RSS in Ontario at the same time, and served together in 3 PPCLI.  He was a great soldier, a dedicated leader, tough as nails, extremely fit, uncompromising, and a good friend.  He will be missed.

VP

PPCLI Guy said:
  He was a great soldier, a dedicated leader, tough as nails, extremely fit, uncompromising, and a good friend.  He will be missed.

VP

I served in Recce Pl 3 VP with Wolf and we were Coy 2ICs together on tour in Bosnia (great leave in Split).  Wolf was pure soldier, through and through.  Fit, hard, honest and one of the best men you could have on your flank.  A "go to war with" guy.

VP

Michael Dorosh said:
I agree - the story says "presumed dead" - I think it is irresponsible to say much - even to grieve - until his status is confirmed.

Given the preponderance of evidence, it may be more cruel to offer the family false hope at this time.

RIP

PPCLI Guy said:
Wolf and I did Phase training together, commanded our first Rifle Platoons in the same company in 2 PPCLI, did RSS in Ontario at the same time, and served together in 3 PPCLI.  He was a great soldier, a dedicated leader, tough as nails, extremely fit, uncompromising, and a good friend.  He will be missed.

The circle of people who knew him is wider than many know.  He started soldiering as an Essex & Kent Scot many, many snows ago.  I, too, had the pleasure of working with him.  A fine soldier indeed.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

The condolances of my family to the family, loved ones and comerades of Major Hess-von Kruedener.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

Ladies and Gentleman,

This thread's purpose is to remember a Canadian soldier who died as a result of an attack on a UN OP in Lebanon.  As the PMO has stated, Maj Hess-von Kruedner is presumed dead as the UN has not been able locate him or his remains.  Please leave other discussion to other threads discussing the current situation in the middle east.  Canada has lost soldier who served his country proudly and the army.ca community sends their thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and all menbers of the army community.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/07/26/kruedener.html

Canadian soldier killed in Lebanon remembered

Prime Minister Stephen Harper released an official statement regarding the death of Maj. Paeta Hess-von Kruedener on Wednesday, while former colleagues paid tribute to the soldier killed in an Israeli air strike.

"I am deeply saddened by reports that Major Hess-von Kruedener serving with the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) mission in south Lebanon is missing and presumed dead as a result of an incident yesterday," said Harper.

"This regrettable event underscores the dangers that our Canadian Forces members face, in all the roles they undertake, to serve our country with distinction and honour and provide assistance to citizens in countries far from our shores," he added.

The Israeli air strike hit a UN observer post in southern Lebanon on Tuesday. The bodies of three other unarmed observers from Austria, China and Finland have been recovered.

Hess-von Kruedener, believed to be in his mid-40s, leaves behind his wife Cynthia and two grown children, a daughter and stepson, said a National Defence spokesman.

His wife held out hope Tuesday despite the first reports of the strike on the UN post.

"I'm sure he's OK," she told the Kingston Whig-Standard. "He knows what he's doing, and what he should be doing in that situation. There's a bunker there that he could have gotten into. We're not giving up hope."

Hess-von Kruedener had been an infantry officer with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry for 20 years and had three months remaining on the one-year mission.

His job, along with other international members of Observer Group Lebanon's Team Sierra, was to report any violations of the now-abandoned ceasefire along the Lebanese-Israeli border.

Regimental Warrant Officer Pete Palmer, based with the Princess Pats in Edmonton, recalled Hess-von Kruedener as "one of the most fit, gung-ho types of soldiers."

"He was demanding of both professionalism and knowing your job, and also being able to lead by example. He was in excellent physical condition."

Palmer and Hess-von Kruedener went on gruelling training exercises together when they were stationed in Winnipeg in 1991, he said.

In Beirut, Lt.-Col. Shane Brennan, the army head of the Canadian evacuation mission, recalled Hess-von Kruedener's airborne exploits.

"He was a jumper. He worked in the parachute training centre for a while. It was the last place he worked before this mission."

"He was always very fit. He had a positive attitude, but he was not afraid to speak his mind. He was a bit of a character who was always pushing the limits of what he was doing."

"Like many soldiers, he was very proud to serve his country and to do a good job."

Hess-von Kruedener also served in Cyprus, the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire), and twice in Bosnia.

Picture - Maj. Paeta Hess-von Kruedener is shown in south Lebanon in March, meeting with one of the Mouktars of a Druze village called Bourhoz. (CTV News/Canadian Press)

It's amazing how many faces and people you get to meet throughout your career.

My condolences to the family, his Regiment and his colleagues.

Back