• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Major Conflicts - Lessons Learned?

CDN Aviator said:
You have not been "told". I simply want you to explain what you are saying.

I am also still waiting for your answer as to what it is that you do.

What I'm saying is - has anyone considered that we might need to grow a navy in a hurry, like before, and are we better prepared to?
The answers I've gotten so far are 1. Don't be a dink, 2. Do some research before you make an idiot out of yourself, 3. No. We won't need to have a much larger navy in my lifetime 4. It takes a long time to train operators and maintainers.
All perfectly valid answers.

My backgound is in ship design and construction-nothing else. I'm a recognized, provincially registered professional.

I'm going to be sticking my foot in my mouth a few more times trying to gather a better understanding of the people who have to use the product. Every once in a while I'll get some wild idea into my head that I have to bounce off of people who have a better understanding of the problem than I do.

I'm not meaning to be hostile or condescending- obviously I'm in no position to do that. And I'm prone to clumsy remarks and have a warped sense of humour.

My disagreement with what you said stems from my belief that will will not have any time to build any sort of Navy.

Any modern naval conflict will be over, or the decisive engagements will have already happened well before we could produce anything, no matter how "ready to go" the design is. In your Japan scenario, more warships will not solve the problem of enemy aircraft. Only more aircraft will do that. Warships are large vulnerable targets for an aircraft Long range standoff anti-ship missiles fired by tactical jets or bombers have exasperated the situation.

Further, i do not think that there is a credible threat to any sort of WW2-style convoys, nor do i think those convoys are necessary, but that is a matter of my opinion only.

Back