• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maj. Raymond Ruckpaul -August 29, 2007

RIP Ray.  You were a fine officer, and you will be missed by all who ever worked with you.

Dave

The Major traveled the Highway of Heroes today. Those who turn out in Northumberland County had only two hours notice before the plane landed in Trenton but we managed to turn out a respectable show of support for him. I just hope further west they were able to also respond rapidly and show their support to the family.

Ray was one of the good guys. I worked with him at Tac Sch for a number of years and considered him a role model and a friend. I wish I could be at the funeral tomorrow.
God speed Ray, you will be missed.

TM

PattiM said:
The Major traveled the Highway of Heroes today. Those who turn out in Northumberland County had only two hours notice before the plane landed in Trenton but we managed to turn out a respectable show of support for him. I just hope further west they were able to also respond rapidly and show their support to the family.

We flew the CDS to Trenton from Buttonville and back. He wanted to see the bridges on the return trip, and also run with the convoy for a bit.

Most bridges that we passed had people on them. Numbers varied with proximity to towns. Given that it was the middle of a long weekend, I'd say that the numbers were quite respectable. I've no idea how many were on the bridges closer to Toronto as we were well ahead of the convoy by then and people hadn't begun to gather.

Funeral's in Hamilton tomorrow at 1000, Church of the Ascension, 64 Forest Avenue.

The NIS have concluded their investigation into Maj Ruckpaul's death.  The press release is available at:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2463

It always sucks to lose a loved one, but this (can't believe it's possible) sucks even worse than usual....

Again, renewed condolences to family, colleagues and friends - we continue mourn with you.  Please don't be afraid to look for help if you need it to help deal with this kind of complicated grief.  My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

:salute:

It doesn't matter how he died.  He died in the service of Canada.  Full stop.

RIP still, major.

It doesn't matter how he died.  He died in the service of Canada.  Full stop.

Haggis, I appreciate the sentiment, and agree that Maj Ruckpaul's service should be honoured and remembered.  :salute:

But it does matter how he died, in terms of shaking people awake to the issue of depression in the CF.  I've been touched by three suicides of CF members, one of which was someone very close to me and my family.  There are a good many bright and capable people in the CF who have issues with depression, and I'm not sure there's a strong enough system in place to keep them from slipping through the cracks.

Babbling Brooks said:
But it does matter how he died, in terms of shaking people awake to the issue of depression in the CF.  I've been touched by three suicides of CF members, one of which was someone very close to me and my family.  There are a good many bright and capable people in the CF who have issues with depression, and I'm not sure there's a strong enough system in place to keep them from slipping through the cracks.

Very good point BB - +100. 

Sounds like the CF reflects society as a whole re:  depression as a silent sapper of energy, productivity and, in some cases, lives.  It's not ALWAYS a case of, "c'mon, just pull yourself up by your bootstraps" or "a lack of motivation" -- clinical depression is a potentially fatal mental illness.

Canadian soldier died by suicide in Kabul, say military police

THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA - The death of a Canadian soldier in Kabul last month has been deemed a suicide by military police.

Maj. Raymond Ruckpaul, 42 died Aug. 29. The Forces' National Investigative Service says the evidence was analyzed by military police and officials with Ontario's chief coroner, which conducts autopsies on all soldiers killed overseas.

Ruckpaul was discovered in his living quarters at a secure compound in NATO headquarters in Kabul suffering from a gunshot wound.

The Hamilton, Ont., native died about an hour later.

After the incident those who knew Ruckpaul said suicide would have been totally out of character.

:salute:
http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/article.en.do?pn=canada&articleID=2759745

Unfortunately I've seen this too often in my career. Usually those who do this don't give much indication that they are suffering...thus they don't get the help they need before it's too late. It's up to all of us to be vigilante of our comrades and be brave enough to intervene if needs be when we see the signs. The courses offered by the social workers for suicide prevention are excellent in helping people to understand what each of us can do and ask when we suspect someone is suffering.
again RIP Ray...you will be missed by this community.

Babbling Brooks said:
Haggis, I appreciate the sentiment, and agree that Maj Ruckpaul's service should be honoured and remembered.   :salute:

The internet and the typed word sometimes doesn't allow a statement to be seen in the intended context.

If you look back at some of the earlier posts in this thread, you'll see an almost morbid trolling for the details of Maj Ruckpaul's death.  My point was that regardless of the cause of death, he died a long way from home in the service of his country.  And he is just as dead as his 69 fallen comrades from Afghanistan.

FYI I, too, have been touched personally by CF and civilian suicides.  As a consequence I beleive that this forum is not the place for open and public speculation on why he did it.  However discussions of preventing a recurence are most welcome.

Babbling Brooks said:
Haggis, I appreciate the sentiment, and agree that Maj Ruckpaul's service should be honoured and remembered.   :salute:

Way, way too many go down that road. 

Back