• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

made a bad choice want to go home

Wait a minute....everybody is bending over backward to placate someone who is

1. homesick
  2. homesick
oh, and 3. homesick.

Get over it, get busy, it's not fatal, you too will grow up.

Back on topic troops.

The soldier is looking for advice, not slams.

The Army.ca Staff

I took a look back at your original post.Let's forget homesick for now.As most people singled that out and didn't notice the part where you said:

"because i don't feel interested"

Well what are your hobbies?If your into fitness why not start preparing for mountain man?Or get some computer courses at the MFRC.Learn french at a nearby colledge or also at the MFRC.Make your off time fun,challenging and interesting.

I cannot see how one could be not interested in the Infantry and want a OT to another trade.IMHO the infantry is one of the most wide spectrum trades offering a lot of different avenues to it's troops.Sniper,Lav3,LIB,Jump platoon's,recce.Hell that's a lot of "trades" all in one.

Maybe you don't feel challenged?Start working on it now and apply for CSOR or JTF 2 when you are able.

It's hard to help you when your so general with your comments.One can derive many different things from your post.Some clarification would be an asset for other people to give better advice pertaining to your situation.

that is a lot replies and all well thought out .

As for the homesick part I realize I will eventually have to leave home and start my own life and for many of my friends I will be surprised if I ever really contact them again as we will (and are) drifting apart in our directions, although I have one close friend who we both saved each other from suicide and I will maintain some form of contact with for the rest of my life. The primary factor in this is that I am not overly interested in this career like I find that everything we do does not compel me in any way to be excited, not even possible depoyment to Afghanistan (a major reason I joined) for whatever reasons. I am making the smart decision and consulting with counselors about this issue. Money is not really an issue as I have money put away and enough resources I can get access to for paying through university. What I was looking for was simply opinions on all ends of the spectrum which i got. I will wait this out a bit and see what happens.

I was on course 0095

My hobbies are weightlifting (fallen way out in this category do to the courses), would like to find out if Muay Thai is in shilo, and I have a great deal of interest in politics and history (what I wish to take up in university). For the physical side I can do that wherever I go so it does not have that great of a hold on me especially as outside I will be able to have complete control of my exercise program. I would like to go into polictical sciences and work in whatever portion of this gets the greatest amount of interest to me during university. I went into the military due to my interest in military history and I figured it would be more compelling blowing crap up than working in law,politics etc but for myself this is not appearing to be true and then the addition of homesickness, different interests than most of ones peers etc

Well kid, we have 3 pages invested in you now so we'll help you through this...

How long have you been in Shilo?

One thing in my experience, I've had plenty of crap jobs - as long as I enjoyed the people I was with, had a good boss or mentor, I lasted through the job and came out better for it.

Surround yourself with people with good attitudes or get inspired by a section leader.  Get to know the rest of the guys around you - you're probably not the only one feeling this way.

Now some cheese - paddling by yourself will only make you go in circles - paddle with someone and you'll go somewheres....

Don't quit. It make will you miserable as hell. I did it (only from reserves) and every day I feel like a tool and failure for it. Stick it out, you'll be happier in the end, you'll feel like you met your challenge, instead of a tool who pussed out.

I felt that way when I left home too. The first couple of weeks were rough; it was my first time away from home, I'd just transferred from PRes to the Regs. Don't worry, if you start looking at it with a different perspective, your feelings might start to change a bit. It's a really good idea, atleast I think so, to complete your three year contract, and make real sure that this is something you really aren't interested in. You've come this far, why quit now? But, that's just my opinion.  :)

I would 'kill" to be in your shoes.

I have/had Friends who went away for career matters, and well, at the beginning, we talked to each other often. time flew and we talked less and less. Now? I don't even know what became of him.

Yes you miss your pals. but I'm sure you made new Friends. you have be in a process that even if you go back; thing will never be the same as before you left for BMQ.

Yes it hard, yes you miss your family, and they probably miss you also. but they have gone with life as you did. think of it. What if you leave and go back home, to suddenly realise that nothing is what you did.

You cannot determine in a 6 month period if you like it or not...you have to adapt from your high school life to an "adult" life. tons of thing is going to your mind at this moment. some are not so easy to assimilate. You now have a liberty that you did not have home. and when you will get back..you will miss this "liberty".

I personally would not VR after a 6 month period. but I'm not in your shoes. You have your entire life ahead of you. Will you quit every time you think you don't like it? If yes..then you are not finished quiting.

When the going gets tough, The tough gets going.

Cheer buddy I think its a hard period but you will get over it, you are military material  :warstory:

mysteriousmind said:
I personally would not VR after a 6 month period. but I'm not in your shoes. You have your entire life ahead of you. Will you quit every time you think you don't like it? If yes..then you are not finished quiting.

When the going gets tough, The tough gets going.

Cheer buddy I think its a hard period but you will get over it, you are military material  :warstory:

What ever.If your not having fun,not enjoying your life it is time to look at other path.How the heck does that make him a quitter?In whom's eyes?Yours?The armys?Frankly If I was getting out I would not be staying up sleepless nightly due to wondering what the army thought (as it only thinks in service numbers and release dates)or a person who hasnt even began their career.

This job is not for everyone.Is the guy who quits toasting buns at McBurger a quitter?Making him a quitter for life?No,and what the heck is the difference.

I have seen guys be totally miserable through a full BE,it makes for a crappy life for them.Why the heck would you do it to yourself?
Personally if I was totally unhappy,I would release and move on to bigger and better things.

Quitter for life?Bit much in my opinion.

My cousin actually quit infantry battle school,hated it and VR'ed.He is now a 37 yr old SSM in a airforce trade,not too shabby for a quitter.

EX_RCAC_011 said:
What ever.If your not having fun,not enjoying your life it is time to look at other path....

That's actually a very good way of looking at things.  I always said "When it stops being fun, I'll stop doing it."  In my case, it stopped being fun in 2003, and I stopped doing it in 2004.

One caveat:  I ALSO always said that I wouldn't make "spur of the moment" decisions.  If I felt like quitting, I'd wait for six months - then check my feelings out again.

There are ALWAYS temporary ups and downs in ANY career, military or civilian.  What is important is that you not react to the temporary discomfort/dissatisfaction inherent in all callings - but to the long term effect.

I'm not sure that someone in Basic (or whatever it's called now) has enough time in to make an informed decision regarding whether it's "fun or not".  I think the angst involved is short term, and needs to be "lived through", and "gotten over".  I think that once you've made the decision, a three year BE is not an unreasonable expectation from the CF, and is not an unreasonable time to give the lifestyle a chance.

I understand that many are miserable during the first year or two of military life - I also understand that many achieve an epiphany within those first few years, and carry on to an impressive and satisfying career after having "stuck it out".

I guess my point is that if you're not "having fun" today, and that's making you miserable, then carry on for a few more weeks or months - it's early in your career to be making decisions based on "having fun" - give it time, if after your first BE you still feel the same way, then don't "re-up" - no one will think lesser of you.

I agree with Ex_RCAC-011 regarding - why should you do it for life?  Where he and I disagree, however, is on whether completing a BE is worthwhile.  I contend it is.

Roy

Talk to your Padre. The Padre will put you on the right path that is to your best interest. The Padre is the ultimate! I can say he sure helped my son when he was going through a rough time. Please, talk to  him....what have you got to loose?

I think the name "noone" says a lot about how this poster is feeling about themselves right now. Maybe work towards a name change, like "someone", when you go from "noone" to "someone" your whole attitude will improve.

I have never been in the military, but I remember leaving Wainwright to go to university, I was homesick, but close enough to go home during weekends. This tapered off as I made more friends at university, and as I realized that I had moved on from my high school friends, they stayed home and got married to people they had grown up with, had kids, and I wasn't into that at the time. My family is always with me, only a phone call away, I will never lose contact with them.

I hope you stick it out, make some new friends and then if you are still unhappy quit, and go to university. I am very familiar with post secondary institutions and the best students are those who have worked for 2 to 3 years before enrolling, they understand what the extra education means in their lives, and appreciate the courses way more than someone fresh out of high school, with no real clue yet about life, and what they really want to do.

Being bored is not an excuse, it's a state of mind, easily changed by the person who is bored.

Ok. Lately I haven't been real active on here. I'm coming back to the CF this summer/fall, whenever I get a course date for BMQ.

I went to BMQ, all gungho and ready to take on anything, in October, 2005. After being taken off course for an RC tear (actually ended up being RC tendonitis), I stuck around in PAT for a while. I missed home a little and decided then, it's best for me to come home for treatment and to "further my education". Maybe go to college or do something productive at home....

...... BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. Came home, the new wore off in a day or two, and here I am, 2 years later and finally medically cleared to get back in. I was an idiot ever to consider leaving. I felt so sure of myself at the time and felt really strong on the decision to VR. Really, I should have sucked it up and soldiered on. But I never. Hindsight is 20/20.

Do you really want to go to school for 4-5 years more? You're in the CF now, a fantastic organization. Like previously mentioned everything has it's highs and lows. There'll always be better times and to throw it all away now would be big mistake. When I put in my VR, the Master Seaman sat down with me, took off his beret and said "Fry buddy, I heard the news. Do you really want to throw this all away? We will look after you. There are fun times and there are difficult times with anything, and right now for you to VR, it must be a difficult time for you. What do you have to go home to that's better for YOU than the CF?"

I had nothing. I tried to butter up "nothing" to him, but it was still nothing and we both knew it. I was going home to rural NL, which was dead 20 years ago anyway. I had no job to go home to and I was far too late to apply to school for that year.My CF money banked only lasted me a short time, then it was job hunting.  I moved to the capital and worked at a horrible call center for 10 months. After slaving there, I realized the mistake I had made.

I did get better, but I should have stayed in. For some the CF isn't what they expected it to be, but really, I should have given my country my 5 years instead of running home. You live and you learn.

You may be one of these people for whom the CF just isn't for. However, if you've made it this far, I'm guessing that the CF is infact for you. You've got it made! You're posted! I'm willing to bet there are many at home who dream of the day they get posted. Everyone's different and everyone handles different issues their own way. Take this advice from me, a total stranger. Stick it out. At the end of your contract or whatever duration you have left, you decide that you don't like it, then just leave.

Nice post FRY,

For me, military life was the only way to go. I would not be able to offer advice to someone who wants out. I just don't know why anyone would want to VR.
I credit the military for getting me to where I am today. The Army Cadets started my confidence and leadership training. The Reserves expanded that training and gave me experience. The Reg. Forces allowed me to put all that previous training to work.
I learned man management skills(useful on civvy street). It allowed me to develop my confidence level(useful on civvy street). I learned Leadership skills(useful on civvy street). I acquired the ability to work with others, be a team player(useful on civvy street).
After a career in the military, I put all that the Forces had to offer me to work on civvy street.
I had no difficulty in getting a job and was never without a paycheque(because of my military background).
I always advanced up the promotion ladder(because of my military background).
Confidence, Leadership, Man Management, Team Player, all on the military's dollar.
No, I would not be able to offer advice to someone who wants out.

Back