• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M113A3 for Kandahar?

COBRA-6

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
TCBF said:
Breech Rings, HA!

M113 is probably just the thing they need.   The most flex veh we have.   time to think out of the box...

Tom

Got to see some re-worked M113's w/turret recently in Pet, the users said with the new suspension and engine they really haul ass.

TCBF said:
Breech Rings, HA!

M113 is probably just the thing they need.   The most flex veh we have.   time to think out of the box...

Tom

Why think out of the box.  LOL all you have to do is climb out of it. ;)
Plus i hear the upgraded version goes like a bat out of h**l.

M113 cannot tak emaines - well due to their flat squat alluminum hull - the steel hulls on the AVGP and LAV's are shaped and have a greater stand off distance.

M113's are a nightmare - sell them to a sucker same with the AVGP's...

"M113 cannot tak emaines - well due to their flat squat alluminum hull - the steel hulls on the AVGP and LAV's are shaped and have a greater stand off distance."

- Actually, the M-113 family has taken mine hits.  In 74' two Strathcona Lynx in Cyprus hit AT mines.

- yhough not popular, it remains the most flexible and cost effective veh we have.

Tom

Tom - I'd much rather be a LAV/Bison if I hit a mine than a M113 - I'vee seen a hull that had a small crack but no holes completelty thru like 113's

They are not popular because they are slow, no firepower and an enormous target.

KevinB said:
They are not popular because they are slow, no firepower and an enormous target.
The new ones are fast and have remote fired .50 or 1 m turret.

A yes, the TLAV - Grizzly turret extra roadwheel much bigger engine - still same shitty armour.

I dont consider a .50 particularly spectacular firepower -- any of the LAV variants or BMP/BMD's will kill it with time for coffee/tea before it could get into range.

I always thought we screwed the pooch in not specifically designating brigades as HEAVY - with M1 Abrams and Bradley, Medium/Recce - LAV/Cotoyte/Bison, and Light-SOC - Airborne/Airmobile.

You could not pay me enough to get in a track.

KevinB said:
A yes, the TLAV - Grizzly turret extra roadwheel much bigger engine - still same shitty armour.
Not all have the extra road wheel.

In any case, this decision seems also to have been made.  We will fight BTE in TLAV and MTVE, but will have to retrain for either Bison or LAV III during TMSBP.  (This would not seem so bad except that we are cutting guys' summer leave to near nothing in order to qualify TLAV drivers and 1 m turret gunners just for an exercise).

Two things...

What is TMSBP?

And regarding the "enormous target", I thought that the LAVIII's were both taller and longer than the M113A3's (I might, once again, be out to lunch...)

Thanks

The LAV armour is shaped  and steel - the 113 is flat and aluminum.

author=couchcommander link=topic=32595/post-239404#msg239404 date=1121322495
What is TMSBP?

I know TMST (theater mission specific training),

Is TMSBP some new buzz word.....McG?

TMSBP=Theatre Mission Specific Battle Procedure

Used in this case as HQ 1 CMBG has to get the Bde HQ ramped up over the same period...

M113 rocks. Upgrade it with a Bradley-style turret, and there you go, you have the perfect APC

Black Watch said:
M113 rocks. Upgrade it with a Bradley-style turret, and there you go, you have the perfect APC

Son,

Either you are joking in which case I would STRONGLY advise that you use a little smiley guy at the end of a statement like that

or

You are soooo far out of your depth that you do not know of what you speak.

If you have not worked out of a track, or even ridden in one you do not have an opinion on the antiquated battle field taxi known as the M113.

My advice is to read more than you post and learn more than you pontificate.

rant off

GF

I had many rides in the m113. But hey look, it's the most sold apc on earth!!!! I went to Switzerland last year, and the have m113 with a panzerII-style turret with a 20mmcanon. Good, reliable and effective...And remember, it's amphibious, LAVIII is not. Of course LAVIII is a speady monster with lots of good points, but I think M113 is the most suited APC for Canada :salute: :salute: :cdn: :cdn:

I had many rides in the m113. But hey look, it's the most sold apc on earth!!!! I went to Switzerland last year, and the have m113 with a panzerII-style turret with a 20mmcanon. Good, reliable and effective...And remember, it's amphibious, LAVIII is not. Of course LAVIII is a speady monster with lots of good points, but I think M113 is the most suited APC for Canada

The T-LAV family (which includes the M113-A3 and MTVL variants) are not amphibious. Canada has not had any amphibious capabilities since the late 70's to early 80's.

Wrong. 4 CER was swimming 113s in the Baggersee in Lahr as late as '90.

Kat

Didn't you hear that it has a "Panzer II" style turrent? They made a Panzer II swim once so clearly this one must be able to swim too. :)

sdkfz121cs.JPG

Black Watch said:
but I think M113 is the most suited APC for Canada :salute: :salute: :cdn: :cdn:

And with your vast experience operating them, going on ex or otherwise in them, what makes you think that? Short of a ride or two around the button, what IS your experience in them? Go ahead, pretend your a salesman and your talking to Ottawa.

Back