• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M113A3 for Kandahar?

How many BV-206 do we have left?  We just flogged a bunch, two are sitting outside of Dryden Ontario?  We had over 1300 M113s at one time.  BV 206 take up-armour?  M113 can.  Next question....

Tom

TCBF said:
How many BV-206 do we have left?  

Speaking from same, Light Inf Bn's have the majority within the brigades, in various configurations.  More so the vehicle, though very capable is not a fighting platform, does have a larger profile than the 113 and if you've ever tried to change the oil is difficult to maintain.  I enjoyed the glory years of the 113 ever so fond of the days we had to pound track.  But pound for pound, dollar for dollar they are the most capable vehicle and are undoubtably being reconditioned for that very purpose, not to forget that they are bought and paid for.  When considering all posibilities one must not forget the purpose that we serve in the first place, to defend our nation. It would be un-prudent to assume that the CF is not preparing at some levels that very possibility.  BV 206's have their place within the support and re-supply arenas, but only when there is not a suitable platform do we begin to assume that it's well fit to fight from. - Cheers!

I didn't know where to stick this so here will have to do (unless a mod can find a better place.) :)

US Up-Armoured M113 in Iraq

(click on them for full sized images)

I guess they don't plan on dropping the trim vien any time soon.

recceguy said:
Why? Then you'd have nothing to make a table out of. ;)

Well...You have to admit that it made an awfully nice temporary dining set for those 15 minute lunches and for shaving in the morning! :D

Look at all the old warriors gripe.  :warstory:

I thought they were a blast to drive. And like a minhome that just begged improving. Howmany of us ever arced a screwdriver to the batterybox while installing fluorescent lights or a car stereo.

http://www.armouredengineer.force9.co.uk/bucket/

Really good site for you enthusiasts out there.

So its old. Remember our current enemies are fighting us with obsolescent cold war technology too.

I would take my chances with LAVIII over M113. Anyday. I have spent maybe a total time of like 5 hours in a LAVIII to date (I have spent weeks on end living in a M113) and that was more than enough time to determine what vehicle I liked better.

Look at the terrain though. I'd rather have the 25mm any day in that open assed desert.

On a more grim note:

I heard Meyers and Rumsfeld's press conference today.  The press were asking about the 14 marines and the success of Zarqawi's mob.  More questions about how come their not beat yet, dont you know how to beat them, whats wrong with the kit, where are they getting these super-duper hi-tech weapons that can defeat or super duper hi tech vehicles.

Brief comment from Gen Meyers kind of put things in perspective.  The vehicle the 14 marines were riding in (therefore probably an LVTP7 AAAV pappy or Matt?) ran over a stacked set of mines (3 or so, just like Beerenfinger? and the guys in the Iltis in Afghanistan).  The General indicated the reason for the high casualty count was that the vehicle flipped (it weighs twice as much as an M113 according to my copy of Janes and has the same flammable, aluminum armour) and once it had flipped "you can't get out" according to the General.  I leave it to you professionals to ponder that for a minute.

The mines are simple weapons, easily available. Similarly armoured vehicles, tracked, heavier but similar ground pressure compared to an M113.  Higher casualty count, no survivors when compared to the Iltis event.  Be careful what you ask for and be sure you really want it, you might get it.

I'm also reading news reports that the  insurgents had tunneled underneath the road from some distance away to place the mines, leaving no trace visible from the road itself.

Tunneling underneath? Command detonated or some sort of automatic remote detonator?

Britney Spears said:
I'm also reading news reports that the   insurgents had tunneled underneath the road from some distance away to place the mines, leaving no trace visible from the road itself.
Er this happened in Yugo also,it's not a new tactic.All's they are doing is repeating hsitory.
But back on topic I likes me DAREOD,turbo charged and have a .50 and 7.62 and only 3 for crew. ;)

http://michaelyon.blogspot.com/2005/08/jungle-law_10.html

Related commentary - observations of a reporter/blogger riding along in a Stryker in Mosul

Back