• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M/Cpl Vernelli, Cpl Tyler Crooks, Trooper Bouthillier,Trooper Hayes- RIP

The four were sent off with honour tonight.  The viewing went on much longer than expected, and the Roman Catholic mass service was delayed 40 minutes.  The faithful waited patiently outside with nary a complaint.  A team working for a US padre helped set up and just "be there" for it all.  It was a shitty day, indeed, yesterday was.  To the wounded, get well.  To the families and friends, be strong.  To the fallen, Rest in Peace.  :salute:

Rest in peace  :salute:

Deepest condoleances to the families, loved ones
and loving ones.

I have just finished reading about the soldiers in my hometown paper, and was too saddened by the news. May the families and friends find comfort and strength in each other at this time. My prayers are with them  :cdn:

Thousands of NATO troops salute Canadians killed in Afghanistan
Last Updated: Sunday, March 22, 2009 | 11:34 AM ET
CBC News

For the third time this month, soldiers lined the tarmac at Kandahar Airfield to bid a sad farewell to their fallen Canadian comrades.

The bodies of the four soldiers, killed in two bomb attacks in southern Afghanistan on Friday, began their last journey home Saturday night.

More than 3,000 NATO soldiers paid tribute at the ramp ceremony to honour the memories of Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli, Cpl. Tyler Crooks — both of November Company, 3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment battle group — Trooper Jack Bouthillier and Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes, both with the Royal Canadian Dragoons.

"Few burdens are heavier than the casket of a soldier," said Capt. Roy Laudenorio, battle group padre for 3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ont.

"It is a reminder of the price of peace and longed freedom. The soil of this land will, hopefully, remember heroes who gave up their lives for a future not yet fully born."

The four soldiers were taking part in a major operation to attack Taliban command centres and supply lines to disrupt insurgents as they prepare for the summer fighting season.

Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance, commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan, said insurgents have been set back in their ability to stage attacks.

"This is one step in many on the way to securing the elections for the 20th of August, the presidential elections," he said Saturday.

Gains in counter-insurgency campaign may be short-lived
Disruption campaigns against insurgents are meant to buy time and, in this case, the general warned, the effect will be short-lived.

"I would suspect that disruption would last for about a month, such that it will take a little bit of time to get their feet back under them [the Taliban] to be able to commence operations again," Vance told reporters.

Military officials have said several more counter-insurgency offensives are planned throughout the spring and summer.

Three other Canadian soldiers were killed in a bomb attack on March 3 and one soldier died in another explosion March 8.

The losses from Friday's attacks were not one-sided, the general insisted, and he went on to challenge the public perception that soldiers are helpless in the face such bombings.

"We caused far more insurgent casualties, dead and wounded, than they caused to us," he said.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper again spoke of the deaths Saturday, offering his condolences on behalf of Canadians.

"The deaths of four young soldiers and the injuries of others ... reminds us once again of the sacrifices these people make, and that military men and women have made historically, to give us what we have today," he said in a speech to the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters in Mississauga, Ont.

With files from the Canadian Press

Our Fallen Soldiers Return Home
LFCA MA 09-10 - March 22, 2009

OTTAWA – Our fallen soldiers, Master Corporal Scott Francis Vernelli and Corporal Tyler Crooks, of The 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, based at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa and Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes and Trooper Jack Bouthillier of the Royal Canadian Dragoons based at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, will return home to Canada on Monday, March 23, 2009.

Where: 8 Wing, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario.

When: Monday, March 23, 2009 at 2:00 p.m.

What: At the wishes of the families, media will be permitted on the tarmac.

Present to pay their respects will be Her Excellency The Governor General of Canada, The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Minister of National Defence, The Honourable Peter MacKay, Vice Chief of the Defence Staff, Vice-Admiral Denis Rouleau and other dignitaries.

Master Corporal Vernelli and Corporal Crooks were killed and five other soldiers were injured when an improvised explosive device detonated in the vicinity of a dismounted patrol in Zhari District, west of Kandahar City at approximately 6:45 a.m. Kandahar time on March 20, 2009.

One local national interpreter was killed and one was injured in this attack.

Trooper Hayes and Trooper Bouthillier were killed and three other soldiers were injured when their vehicle struck an improvised explosive device in Shah Wali Khot District, north-east of Kandahar City at approximately 8:45 a.m. Kandahar time on March 20, 2009.

-30-

Note to Editors/News Directors:

Interested media may contact Lieutenant Annie Morin, 8 Wing/CFB Trenton Public Affairs Officer, who can be reached at (613) 392-2811, ext. 4565, (613) 243-7330 (mobile), or at: morin.mva@forces.gc.ca

For general queries, please contact the Media Liaison Office at (866) 377-0811, or on weekends 613-792-2973. For flight information, please contact the Air Passenger Terminal at 1-800-487-1186.

Saw it on the news, my heart sunk a foot.  Very tough to watch.  Four of our warriors have left us.  Rest well, no one can hurt you now.

PRO PATRIA / AUDAX ET CELER ...... :salute:

To quote an earlier post:

To the wounded, get well. To the families and friends, be strong.
To the fallen, Rest in Peace.    :salute:

As our latest fallen are on their way home my thoughts are with them and their families.
And hoping that their wounded brothers have a quick and full recovery.

:cdn: :yellow: :cdn:

Home from the Coroner's Office. Gen Hillier was there as well as our Chief of Police Blair. RCR's and Dragoons came out to shake our hands. We had a moment to whisper thank you. A very humbling experience for me, and the men and women I work with. Words are not enough.   

For those of you not already aware, Tpr Corey Hayes is the grandson of MWO Ralph Beek (Ret'd, The RCR); the son of MWO Bert Beek (CC 3 ASG Gagetown) and OCdt Donna Beek (LogO - CFSME Gagetown); and, the nephew of MCpl Demerice Vale (nee Beek, Sup tech LFAA[TC]) and Louis Boulard (Cpl, Sup Tech retd - now civ employee working for me here in POL Gagetown).

A very proud and long history of military service and community involvement. Deme and I had a wonderful time growing up together as the Army brats we were - and that we turned out to be ourselves. I know this loss will touch a very wide spectrum of CF member's and local citizens who've had the honour and the priveledge of knowing and working with them.

I will post details of Corey's arrangements up as I get them.

Their history and tradition of military service is an inspiration, and their sacrifice will not be forgotten.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/612891
Canadian casualties in Afghanistan would be higher if not for the work of soldiers such as Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes, says a military expert at the University of New Brunswick.

TIME TO MOURN: Friends and relatives of Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes, who served with The Royal Canadian Dragoons, based in Petawawa, Ont., console each other at the hearse carrying his remains during a repatriation ceremony at Canadian Forces Base Trenton on Monday. Hayes was from New Brunswick.  The Daily Gleaner/James West PhoSUPPORT: A sign posted outside the 4 Corners Country Store in Ripples tells family and friends of Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes they’re in their prayers. Lee Windsor, the deputy director of the Gregg Centre for the Study of War and Society, said the 22-year-old former Ripples resident was a member of a reconnaissance squadron given the task of collecting information on Taliban activities.

He was killed Friday when a roadside bomb detonated. "They suffer casualties because of this dangerous task, but if they didn't perform that task - if they didn't perform that vital mission of monitoring the roads and watching for where the bomb-making teams are digging - then the casualties to the rest of the force would be much, much higher," Windsor said Monday.

Hayes, along with Trooper Jack Bouthillier, were assigned to the Reconnaissance Squadron of The Third Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group.
They were killed Friday when their vehicle struck a roadside bomb in Shah Wali Khot district, northeast of Kandahar City. Three soldiers were also injured. Both Hayes and Bouthillier were members of The Royal Canadian Dragoons, an armour regiment.

Master Cpl. Scott Francis Vernelli, 28, and Cpl. Tyler Crooks, 24, were killed earlier in the day and five other soldiers injured when another roadside bomb detonated in the vicinity of a dismounted patrol in Zhari district, west of Kandahar City. They were with The First Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment.All four soldiers were from Canadian Forces Base Petawawa.

Windsor said the work done by Hayes and Bouthillier, and others like them, is vital to the success of the mission.

The bodies of the four fallen soldiers arrived at CFB Trenton, Ont., on Monday afternoon.

They were met by officials and family members, including Hayes's step-father Master Warrant Officer Bert Beek and his mother Donna.

Gordon Bennett, who spent more than 30 years as a Royal Canadian Dragoon before retiring as a captain, said the death of one of their own affects everyone - those still serving and those retired.

"It's very sad because we have lost a number of Dragoons over there since we started in 2002," said the Oromocto resident, who has a son serving with the Dragoons.

Bennett said Afghanistan is a dangerous environment for the infantry, the armour and combat engineers - all the people who are outside the base.

Oromocto's Tom Urbanowsky, a 40-year veteran of the Dragoons, said he feels terrible over the deaths of the two young regimental members.

"Any loss of life is terrible, but it's (really) tough when you lose a member of the regiment," he said.

Urbanowsky, who retired as a chief warrant officer, said Afghanistan is a difficult war to fight because you can't always see the enemy.

In the meantime, residents of the Ripples area are still reeling from the shock of Hayes's death.

Jim Craig, the owner of 4 Corners Country Store, said his small business has become a conduit for the distribution of information.

"So far this morning (Monday) I've gotten six phone calls from people asking about funeral arrangements," Craig said.

Residents are upset over the death.

"I would imagine that just about everybody around here knew him," Craig said.

"The mood of the community right now is pretty sombre."

Craig said there's another young man from the community deployed to Afghanistan and that adds to overall anxiety levels.

Another couple stories here:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/03/23/nb-ripples-soldier-921.html

Last night with Chief Blair and Gen Hillier:

I watched the repatriation on TV yesterday. For those of us that don't live close enough to be there, I would like to say thanks to all those people that were able to make it out to pay tribute to the fallen.  These are the times I actually miss living in Toronto.

Thank you!!!

And watching MCpl Vernelli's wife saluting her husband with that little baby girl in her arm, it took my breath away.  I cannot imagine how it feels. 

I would like to say she and all the other family members did us all proud!!!  :cdn: :yellow: :cdn:

I don't post in these threads as what I say will be a repeat of everyone else and I tend to mourn in private, however, I wanted to post this.

Today, as I was sitting waiting to do my medical, an announcement came over the PA system for people to partake in a moment of silence for these fallen soldiers.  Everyone in the waiting room rose to their feet and removed headdress.  It was very moving.

Take it easy boys, you're home now.  :salute:  :cdn:

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
I watched the repatriation on TV yesterday. For those of us that don't live close enough to be there, I would like to say thanks to all those people that were able to make it out to pay tribute to the fallen.  These are the times I actually miss living in Toronto.
Thank you!!!

Yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq5VYiYwjBI

For those of you that are in the area and so inclined:

Corporal Tyler Crooks will be returning home to Port Colborne on Saturday, March 28th.

He will be leaving Toronto at 3:00 p.m. His route home from Toronto is as follows:

Don Valley Parkway to Gardiner Expressway to QEW Niagara.
Once in Niagara, the procession will go south on Highway 406, to East Main Street in Welland.
Turn left to Hwy 140 south to Netherby Road.
Right on Netherby Road to Hwy 58 South.
Once within Port Colborne city limits, the procession will travel south on Hwy 58 - Westside Road to Killaly Street West.
Turn left on Killaly Street West to Steele Street.
Turn right on Steele Street to Clarence Street.
Turn left on Clarence Street to Davidson Funeral Home.
There will be no visitation at the funeral home on Saturday.

Please encourage everyone to come out and show our support to Tyler and his family.

The procession could arrive as early as 4:30 p.m. depending on traffic.

The City will be setting up barricades along the route

For those of you attending, details for Trooper Corey Hayes

HAYES, Trooper Corey
Trooper Corey Hayes died on March 20, 2009, in service to his country on Task Force 08-03 Afghanistan at the age of 22. Raised in Ripples, N.B., he attended Minto Memorial High School and Wawanesa High School in Manitoba. He loved to be with his friends, play hockey, skateboard and participate in most extreme sports. Corey will always be remembered with a smile and encouraging words by his mother, Donna Beek; his stepfather, Bertramn Beek; his father, Joe Hayes; his stepbrother, Robert Beek; his half-brothers, James and Patrick Beek and Craig and Kyle Moretto, along with his half-sister, Bethany Hayes. He will also be remembered by his grandparents, Ralph and Jenny Beek and Amelia Deme as well as numerous aunts, uncles and cousins. Corey's visitation will be held in St. Luke's Chapel, CFB Gagetown, from 2-5 p.m. and from 6-9 p.m. on March 30. A military funeral service will take place in St. Luke's Chapel, CFB Gagetown, at 1 p.m. Tuesday, March 31. Funeral arrangements entrusted to Oromocto Select Community Funeral Home.

For anyone interested in Sault Ste. Marie, from the Sault Star:
A public memorial will be held Saturday (18 Apr 09) to honour fallen soldier (Master) Corp. Scott Vernelli.

The Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 25 is preparing the 2 p.m. memorial, to be held at the Sault Ste. Marie Armoury, with the assistance of the 49th Regiment.  Capt. Patrick Vardy, chaplain for the 49th Regiment, said plans for the service are well underway for what is expected to pack the facility. 

Vernelli, was the first Sault Ste. Marie native to die in combat in Afghanistan.  The 28-year-old man is survived by his wife Marcie Lane, of Petawawa, and six-month-old daughter Olivia.  He was one of four Petawawa soldiers killed on March 20 in two separate improvished explosive device explosions in Kandahar.  Vernelli was born and raised in the Sault and joined the military after his high school graduation.

Saturday’s memorial will begin with the marching of the colours, similar to a Remembrance Day ceremony and playing of the National Anthem O Canada by the Royal Canadian Legion band.  A drumhead ceremony will launch the memorial service, with readings and a eulogy by Rev. Phil Miller and Vardy.  A special presentation will be made to the Vernelli family, followed by the retrieval of the colours, the playing of God Save the Queen and the marching off.  Vardy said he expects the service to last about one hour.

Those attending the service are asked to be aware that parking is limited but may be found at the John Rhodes Community Centre.  Participants are asked to be in their seats for the 2 p.m. start.

Meanwhile, the Vernelli family is having a visitation and mass Thursday night (16 Apr 09) for family and friends.  Visitation will be from 6-7 p.m., followed by tributes or remembrances until the start of the mass.  The mass will be held at 7:30 p.m. St. Jerome’s Catholic Church, 26 Carmel Road.

Wow.  I can't believe it was one year ago today.  Woke up in the leaguer, just finishing ablutions, when the sound of the explosion rolled across Zharey.  We knew right away it was bad. 

But a lot of good things happened that day that saved many more lives.

:salute: to the fallen.  We haven't forgotten, nor shall we!

Back