• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M/Cpl Vernelli, Cpl Tyler Crooks, Trooper Bouthillier,Trooper Hayes- RIP

Big Foot

Inactive
Reaction score
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/National/2009/03/20/8828541.html

Fri, March 20, 2009
Four Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan
UPDATED: 2009-03-20 13:53:03 MST

By Grant LaFleche, SUN MEDIA

Four Canadian soldiers were killed in Afghanistan yesterday.
Port Colborne resident Cpl. Tyler Crooks, 24, was killed sometime Thursday. He was based out of CFB Petawawa and had been in Afghanistan since the fall.

Crooks and three other Canadian soldiers were killed Thursday in Helmand province by a roadside bomb.

No information has yet been released about the circumstances of their deaths.

Crook's family declined to comment Friday afternoon but are expected to make a statement through the military Saturday afternoon.

This latest casualty marks the third Niagara resident killed in the war-torn country.

St. Catharines Lincoln and Welland Regiment member Warrant Officer Dennis Brown, 38, was killed March 3 in Afghanistan along with two other

Canadian soldiers when their armoured vehicle was struck by a roadside bomb northwest of Kandahar.

Cpl. Albert Storm, 36, of Niagara Falls died Nov. 27, 2006, after a suicide bomber attack.

He was a member of the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, out of Petawawa.

Oh man.  I had a feeling.

RIP Soldiers. :salute:  Deepest condolences to the families and loved ones.

Speedy recovery to the injured.

I could not find it on CBC or CTV yet either, so I went to Google News. They are showing Sun Media and Canoe.ca are now carrying the story as of 36min ago.

kratz said:
I could not find it on CBC or CTV yet either, so I went to Google News. They are showing Sun Media and Canoe.ca are now carrying the story as of 36min ago.

Sun Media and Canoe.ca are both subsidiaries of Quebecor Media.

I strongly suspect that someone leaked this, if this report is at all accurate, though I hope it isn't...

I heard this morning that 2 died on impact the other 2 in hospital...May you rest easy now soldiers, your work is done, it is now up to us to never forget you...

My sincerest condolences to family, friends and comrades..I know you are all taking this hard, may we share in your pain to lesson your burden just a bit.

We will remember you.  Thank you.

Big Foot said:
I strongly suspect that someone leaked this, if this report is at all accurate, though I hope it isn't...

Nobody "leaked" it, the comms lockdown is just being lifted after being imposed last night. Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli is the second to be named.

Umm.... can we wait until the offical news releases have been released through CEFCOM and National Defence.

CEFCOM will be speaking soon, so far it's the family who are making statements to the media.

40below said:
Nobody "leaked" it, the comms lockdown is just being lifted after being imposed last night. Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli is the second to be named.

From DND's perspective, it's leaked because they did not release it.  There are always reasons why this take longer than first thought - often it's next-of-kin notification that is ongoing - so now, everyone with family deployed will worry.  If NoK notification is completed, families don't have that worry.

Trooper Jack Bouthillier and Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes, RIP:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090320.wkandahar0320/BNStory/International/home

Four Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan
Updated Fri. Mar. 20 2009 5:06 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Four Canadian soldiers have been killed and another eight injured in Afghanistan in two separate improvised explosive attacks.

The dead have been identified as: Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli, Cpl. Tyler Crooks, Trooper Jack Bouthillier and Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes.

Vernelli and Crooks died in an early morning blast while on foot patrol in the Zhari district west of Kandahar. Another five soldiers were injured in that attack.

Bouthillier and Hayes were killed later in a roadside bomb attack egich occurred in the Shah Wali Kot district.

Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance, the commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan, urged Canadians in a statement to not consider the deaths a failure of any particular person or the mission.

He said the soldiers died protecting the Afghan people.

The deaths bring the total number of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan to 116.

More details to follow.

4 Canadian soldiers killed, 12 injured in roadside attacks
Last Updated: Friday, March 20, 2009 | 5:00 PM ET
The Canadian Press

Four Canadian soldiers are dead and at least eight others injured in two separate bombings outside of Kandahar city, military officials said Friday.

Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli and Cpl. Tyler Crooks died in a blast that occurred during a morning foot patrol in the restive Zhari district west of Kandahar.

Later, Trooper Jack Bouthillier and Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes were killed when a roadside bomb exploded in the Shah Wali Kot district, a region northwest of the city that's seeing an increase in Taliban activity.

Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance, the commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan, is urging Canadians not to consider the deaths a failure on the part of anyone, or of the mission itself.

The latest deaths bring the number of Canadian military fatalities in Afghanistan to 116 since Canada's combat mission there began in 2002. One diplomat and two aid workers have also been killed.

There are 2,830 Canadian troops serving at Kandahar Airfield and Camp Nathan Smith, the home of the Provincial Reconstruction Team in Kandahar city.

More to come

RIP soldiers.  :salute:

Thoughts and prayers to the families, friends and comrades of the fallen and a fast and full recovery to the injured.

Back