• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking to Buy a Patrol Pack

INFRES

Inactive
Reaction score
We've been told that since we have no butpack now with our tacvests, that everyone in our unit will be required to have a day/patrol pack and i have been looking around for a cadpat patrol pack. The packs on cpgear look decent but i was wondering if anyone knows of a better pack that is available in cadpat and where u can get it. thanks

Tell your chain to wait out the CF will soon be issueing the small pack system.

Yeah, if you're "required" to have them, your unit should be buying them and issuing them out.

i bought the patrol pack from CPGEAR its a great piece of kit... use it on the civiee side for firefighting, so it was a worthwhile purchase...

You may want to check out the packs from Maxpedition. http://www.maxpedition.com/product/catalog_backpack.htm

I've heard from some people that they're pretty good.   Although not CADPAT (they do have US Woodland) it's worth a look.   I'm looking to get one myself in OD.   Gonna use it for army and school (OD instead of CADPAT/woodland because I'm sick and tired of the anti-US/military/capitalism/imperialism/everything sentiment at my school but that's a different story).

Still deciding which pack and where to get it from.

---edit---
Has anyone tried any of the more expensive packs from Wheelers.  Just want to know if there is some type of padding on the pack where it contacts your back, as well as the straps.  I have their nuke bag but it's not what I want in a pack.

Our unit is currently trying to get some kind of a deal with a manufacturer so we can get a bunch of packs for a discount price , but i didnt really like the looks of the one were looking at. The cpgear patrol pack is what i was interested in as the ops ive tried on before and i think its kind of big just to hold some small kit like rain gear.

INFRES said:
we have no butpack now with our tacvests
You should be talking to your QM about that. I know my regt made us at least keep the buttpack for use with the Tac Vest (since it has a shoulder strap built in it, you know, that thing you were told to tape up and forget about) and use it for raingear (or for other small items) but could use a nuke bag if we wanted. At least this was the way 23 SVC BN (I think it was them) ran the show the way we turned in dismantled webbing for Tac Vest Orientation.

Nuke bag is probably the way to go.

As infres pointed out, you can probably keep the butt-pack, as technically, "by the book" it's not a permanent part of the webbing anyway, you're supposed to remove it when you're wearing the ruck, or when conducting attacks. Now of course... no one does that... and it was a silly idea, the ruck simply should have been made to accomodate the butt-pack, but still... if you ask for one, you can probably get it.

I've got an assault pack from tactical tailor myself, nice pack, bullet-proof (Figure of speech, pack provides no ballistic protection) construction, plenty of space, and MOLLE straps to attach pouches if you want. There's a pouch inside to accomdate a camel back, and a hole on either side of the top to run the camel back through, or a radio antenna. Only real major flaw is the shoulder straps are a bit thickly padded, but you get used to it. There's a company in BC selling them in CadPat occasionally on Ebay, but you can also buy directly from tactical tailor (Though not in Cadpat)

Dingbat said:
Has anyone tried any of the more expensive packs from Wheelers.  Just want to know if there is some type of padding on the pack where it contacts your back, as well as the straps
I have the last-gen CADPAT Recce Patrol Pack by Wheelers (arguably the best pack they made for the cost-to-performance balance.) Padded back panel, padded shoulder straps (like the 82 ruck,) a 522 shelf in the main compartment (like the 82 ruck) and radio flaps on the lid for running wires, antennas and hydration tubes. Now I know that there's better out there (Maxpedition, Blackhawk, Tiger Tactical, blah blah blah) but if you want to go the "CADPAT" route, CP's old Recce Patrol Pack (if you can find someone selling it cheap) is a good start. Otherwise just get an OD pack that suits your needs (nuke bags are only good for small items or light and bulky stuff like fleece.)

As for the new CP Gear packs, the alamar is pretty close to the old-school pack I have (but seems like it's the same quality as an Avenger Pack. not great but it'll work.) You're better off trying make a trip to a Tactical Gear outlet and trying out some stuff 'til you find a suitable pack. As for CADPAT, it's nice to have...but if the gear it's made with sucks compared to awesome gear in OD, I'd skip on the LCF and get what works great.

My 2/100 of a dollar, NATO Boy

Some of the best packs I've seen that would more than fit the bill are the RAID pack, from Lightfighter, Daves army&surplus in New West Minister BC brings in Tactical tailor packs in cadpat, and the offerings from Dropzonetactical in Edmonton! I would rather deal with Co's that have good experience designing, and building military gear/ packs!
I have tried several packs from CP gear, and in all honesty I wasn't too impressed with them ie shoulder straps were not well located, tended to irritate my neck abit much. They were not very comfortable, they didn't seem to sit right regardless of adjustment! The durability of the stitching was abit suspect, considering the number of loose threads that seemed to appear every other week! It's too bad CP doesn't make cadpat nuke bags anymore, there was one piece of kit they made better than the issue item!

If you want solid, well-built, then go with the Tactical Tailor 3 Day Pack in Cadpat from Dave's Surplus.  They have a website as well but the bags aren't on it. If you want to see one just go to Tac Tailor and check out the OD one. However they are not cheap, around $189 from Dave's, tell them you are military and Martin will give you a break.

Now about the unit telling you to have them, they cannot do that at all, I don't care if they are reg or reserve. My Regiment was thinking about purchasing some small packs with year end money, but found out that you cannot purchase kit that is in the system.  So out went that idea.

Hey all. Sorry to revive a topic six feet under and completely decomposed, but I did a search (read every post with the word 'nuke' in it) and I could not find any good word of mouth on the CP gear nuke bag in cadpat, so I decided I may as well not start a new topic. Now, I want a very cheap and simple version of the small pack and one that I can easily and securly strap to my ruck when not in use, because the issue small pack just takes up too much space. My question was about the durability of this product that is on sale till February 28. I'm between this and the IPE/NBC bag from Seals action gear. For me its really a toss up, because the CP gear version advertises curved straps, is modular and comes in CADPAT, but I have serious doubts about the quality of it compared to the IPE/NBC bag. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For those wanting Cadpat, we should have some Cadpat RAID Packs in stock in the next little bit.  Black and Ranger Green are in stock now.  Obviously this is more advanced than a Nuke Bag.

RAIDlarge.jpg

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=PA-LFRBP&Category_Code=

I've been waiting for mine for well weeks now :D. I was hoping to get it on tuesday though, dah well. it's a raid pack, I swear all the reading I've done on the raid, an on time delivery is like a month behind the intended date.
Greg

The Lightfighter RAID (also produced by TAG) is a decent panel loading pack, however one of its main complaints (and this applies to most similar packs, ie. Eagle A-IIIA, Tactical Tailor 3-Day, etc. and our own CP Gear Alamar and Patrol packs) is that its suspension system is akin to a school book bag, kinda clunky and like having a big tick on your back when it's loaded up with any serious weight (35+ pounds). 

Something very innovative in the league of 30-40 litre patrol/assault packs is in the works if you can wait 2-3 months.

Im using a SpecOps brand THE pack, and its working quite well for me. needs a framesheet though. built bombproof, holds lots of junk, and MOLLE for attaching extra pouches. the price wasnt too bad either.

Id still prefer a RAID though.

the spec ops brand the pack looks well built, and a good size. But i read somewhere that the straps were less than ideal, and not curved. Is it relatively comfortable fully loaded over the TV?

The new RAID's produced by TAG includes hydration bladder, aluminium stays, larger antenna ports, zippered access to the bladder itself and compression straps.

I used mine on a few ex's and the great thing is you can attach the valice and other gear for the weekend to it, then dump that gear off and use the same pack for a patrol with only the gear you need loaded in.  Fits the manpack as well so if you get stuck with it you can carry gear you need without two packs on your back.

This ain't no school-bag  ;)

Back