• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for Ottawa Real Estate Agent

ltmaverick25

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone can refer a good real estate agent in Ottawa.  Also, any recommendations for good areas and areas to stay away from?

Where will you be working and are you willing to commute ?

I was pleased when I bought with "The Guy With the Dog".

And more info would be helpful to help suggest locations:  Single?  married?  Kids?  Pets?  Activities you like?  Price range?

For example:  Barrhaven is great if you're married with 1.8 kids, not so much if you're single and want to go out.  Orleans has some nice homes, but with the relocation of much of DND to the old Nortel Campus over the next few years, the commute will get bad.

A bit more info...

I will be working out of Startop. 

I am married.  My wife is a teacher, and is fluent in french.

No kids, but 2 x german sheppards.  (Not sure which is more work lol)

Price range max 300k

As far as commuting goes, I would like to stay at 30min or less.

Off the top of my head:  Orleans may work for your current posting (though expect to be psoted within Ottawa at least once, so that may change).  Barrhaven may also be in the zone, though I'm not sure what's in your price range there - you likely won't find anything with a very big yard unless you go a little south of Barrhaven.  Kanata & Stittsville are likely too far west for you.

As well, consider weather in your time estiamtes - there will be half a dozen bad storms a year that will lengthen your commute.  Traffic as well may lengthen things.

For a firm 30 minute commute (including travelling to the bus stop and then waiting for the bus that is late) you will have to look at Hunt Club and Woodroffe maybe Hunt Club and Greenbank in the West at the most.  Even then for Star Top you are probably looking at 40-45 using transit from there.  For 300k you'll get a nice place in Vanier.

I live in Barrhaven and using transit it takes 40-45 to 101 both ways.  Driving it takes 30-35 there and 40-55 returning in the afternoon.  I can bike in around an hour.

I live in Riverside. 5 minutes drive to Startop and there are nice houses around but not sure of the price.

AmmoTech90 said:
For 300k you'll get a nice place in Vanier.

That's an oxymoron.  ;D

I live in Barrhaven and using transit it takes 40-45 to 101 both ways.  Driving it takes 30-35 there and 40-55 returning in the afternoon.  I can bike in around an hour.

Barrhaven - right in the landing pattern for Ottawa International.  :)

I personally like ottawa south, as your within a 20m drive to anywhere in the city.  Transit isn't terrible even though it was a 45m bike to 101, or a 45m bus ride.

Yep, but you it's better than right across the railway in Pet.  The flights stop at night and after a while you don't hear them.

Vanier's not too bad, I finished high school there, no problems.  Check MLS, while the prices are lower than the rest of Ottawa there is some effort being made to gentrify (sp?) it.  Don't think it'll take off like Westboro did though...

Occam said:
That's an oxymoron.  ;D

Not true at all - there are plenty of nice places in Vanier, and you'll likely see your neighbours a bit more than in certain suburbs I can think of.

As for location, I wouldn't pick anything too far away from the Carling campus, as a large part of DND is slated to end up there within the next 2-4 years.  This particularly applies if you think you may be in town for a while.

Google map link:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Nortel+Carling,+Ottawa,+ON&hl=en&sll=45.346234,-75.85433&sspn=0.032092,0.055017&oq=nortel&hnear=Nortel+Carling&t=m&z=16

Alternatively, there are a few nice small towns just outside the City of Ottawa boundaries, where real estate, taxes & many other things (including veterinary care, I've noticed) are cheaper.  Kemptville in the southwest (good for Carling), Winchester in the south or Russell in the southeast (both ok for Startop).  The drive is a bit longer distance-wise but not time-wise, as it's generally steady flow, not stop-&-go.  No public transit, but they do have once-daily commuter buses.  Just another option.

bridges said:
Not true at all - there are plenty of nice places in Vanier, and you'll likely see your neighbours a bit more than in certain suburbs I can think of.

As for location, I wouldn't pick anything too far away from the Carling campus, as a large part of DND is slated to end up there within the next 2-4 years.  This particularly applies if you think you may be in town for a while.

Google map link:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Nortel+Carling,+Ottawa,+ON&hl=en&sll=45.346234,-75.85433&sspn=0.032092,0.055017&oq=nortel&hnear=Nortel+Carling&t=m&z=16

Alternatively, there are a few nice small towns just outside the City of Ottawa boundaries, where real estate, taxes & many other things (including veterinary care, I've noticed) are cheaper.  Kemptville in the southwest (good for Carling), Winchester in the south or Russell in the southeast (both ok for Startop).  The drive is a bit longer distance-wise but not time-wise, as it's generally steady flow, not stop-&-go.  No public transit, but they do have once-daily commuter buses.  Just another option.

At least take a look south of the city. I live in Kemptville which has tons of advantages to offset the commute. Prices for homes are lower and people come from Ottawa to use our hospital's ER because of the difference in wait times.  We have four of the five banks and tons of good stores. It is also very pro-military and commuting times to the west end will be not too bad.

Thanks for the input.

This whole Nortel thing definitely complicates everything.  For example Orleans would be awesome (lived there over 20 years ago as a kid and loved it) but not if I get posted to the Nortel location later on.

Does anyone have any feedback on Aylmer?  According to google maps it would take roughly the same amount of time (35min) to get to either location.  But I don't know how accurate that is.  And then there is taxes :(

I just used Gary Shane from Remax, if you want his number PM me.  Sold very quickly and he has years of experience in Ottawa. I was very pleased with his efforts in selling and am sure he is just as good in purchasing.

Find an online tool to compare income and other taxes between provinces, and factor in the convenience of beer at the corner store.

Bridges become choke points during morning and afternoon commutes, and may add to commute times.

Bridges are a factor.

House costs are also a factor.  While slightly dated, this link: http://dorislaw.com/ViewArticle.cfm?ArticleID=240 shows that, depending on your housing situation, Gatineau may be slightly cheaper.  If you have a decent downpayment, it can be substantially cheaper in the short term.  Resale can be a factor as you will not get back as much.

Riverside south area and Ottawa south is good. Its easy to get to anywhere from Ottawa south area

Back