• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LOOKING FOR OLD RECRUITING POSTERS

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Folks, does anyone remember the old 1970's era recruiting posters?

There was one with an officer in DEU exiting a business jet while carrying a briefcase.  A second pushed the Combat Team.  I remember the slogans on that one.  A Centurion tank was on the front captioned "It takes a special kind of operator to run this business machine" Inside was a second caption "This machine means business."

If anyone has any links to photos of these or old scans they could share, I'd appreciate it.

Haggis said:
If anyone has any links to photos of these or old scans they could share, I'd appreciate it.

This may help,

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]
http://army.ca/forums/threads/2276.0;nowap
41 pages.

Thanks, I found most of those messages/thread in other searches. No scans of what I'm after though, but plenty of mentions of those posters (mostly from old guys).

I remember this one from the 1970's
Here's the article
http://www.thewesternstar.com/Local/2009-11-05/article-1475530/Face-on-forces-recruiting-poster-still-raising-awareness/1

Tom

I remember the phrase "You stand alone...but you're never alone".  I think it was the same RCR sgt from above.

That was the recruiting slogan/campaign that got me to join so many years ago.

TV, yes, I think you're correct.  It folded out to show all the parts of a Cbt Tm.

Ron Perroway (sp?) was the RCR in the poster, worked with him in Aldershot in the 1980s when he was a WO RSS with 2 RNFLDR. good guy  apparently he was teased a lot about the poster.

I somewhere have a copy of a hand-drawn parody poster for joining the Reserves - "Got no life? You'll like it" featuring a cartoon likeness of a spotty-faced teenager both in a McDonald's outfit and an Army uniform, comparing the two jobs...

321552_10150428471141271_1185196226_n_zpskfwxsqiq.jpg

Rumour has it some of the long time regulars on here were inspired to join up by this poster  8)

2f00fd320d00c91b5410e6553a98f1b0.jpg

dapaterson said:
I somewhere have a copy of a hand-drawn parody poster for joining the Reserves - "Got no life? You'll like it" featuring a cartoon likeness of a spotty-faced teenager both in a McDonald's outfit and an Army uniform, comparing the two jobs...

I remember seeing another hand-drawn one - posted very briefly - in L101 in Petawawa, with a sad-sack looking soldier on a duffle bag: "Quit school?  No job? Reg Force kick you out? Join the Militia!"

I have this one hanging in my entryway. Was given to me by a friend after graduation from TUNS. It's a replica of a WW1 recruiting poster.

The caption of the lower picture always makes me smile:

"Destroying & re-building Bridges is only one of the interesting branches of military engineering"

I didn't realize though that Engineers laid telegraph cable as indicated by the upper picture and caption.

cupper said:
I have this one hanging in my entryway. Was given to me by a friend after graduation from TUNS. It's a replica of a WW1 recruiting poster.

The caption of the lower picture always makes me smile:

"Destroying & re-building Bridges is only one of the interesting branches of military engineering"

I didn't realize though that Engineers laid telegraph cable as indicated by the upper picture and caption.

"Telephone" companies were formed and attached to the Canadian Engineers and Infantry units in the early 1900s. Much like there's a supply guy found in every bunch, even back then 1st line units were pretty self sufficient. Using horses, bicycles and motorcycles, they did it all. 1st line combat arms units found themselves very isolated and really had no choice but to rely on themselves.

Back