• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for any information about the 1980s web gear and rucksack

kimloftus14

Inactive
Reaction score
Did the 1980s web gear and rucksack see active service over seas? If so how well did it perform in actual service?

Also the old gear had 4 spots for magazines; when in combat i have been told you take more than 10 magazines with you, is there a reason that the web gear has just 4 spots for magazines?

Did the p82 web gear and rucksack go together like the book shows? Was wondering if you could use the rucksack (with the 64 pattern frame) and the p82 web gear together for backing it would be great, though if someone could through some suggestions on how to set up the web gear for backpacking that would be great

It feels like someone posts questions about '80s era gear once a year

kimloftus14 said:
Did the 1980s web gear and rucksack see active service over seas? If so how well did it perform in actual service?

Also the old gear had 4 spots for magazines; when in combat i have been told you take more than 10 magazines with you, is there a reason that the web gear has just 4 spots for magazines?
Yes, the 82 Pattern webbing and rucksack were used overseas in Cyprus, Bosnia/Croatia/Former Yugoslavia, Somalia, Afghanistan, etc. 

If you need to carry more magazines, you simply add more magazine pouches.  Look at the photos from the 3PPCLI Battle Group during Op Apollo to see the webbing with extra pouches and rucksack(mix of 64 and 82 pat rucks) in use. I know some modified the webbing by adding velcro and fastex buckles to pouches, etc 

kimloftus14 said:
Did the p82 web gear and rucksack go together like the book shows? Was wondering if you could use the rucksack (with the 64 pattern frame) and the p82 web gear together for backing it would be great, though if someone could through some suggestions on how to set up the web gear for backpacking that would be great
Not sure what you are referring too here, but you could wear the webbing and rucksack at the same time.  Basically it just sits on the butt pack(if it is attached) on the webbing. Yes, a 64 pattern frame will fit onto the 82 pattern rucksack. 

I assume the 82 pattern webbing may have been worn in the Former Yugoslavia mission, but I couldn't find any in a search. Only of troops wearing body armour only, or with the LBV, or Tac Vest(near the end of the mission).

Cyprus
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/media/canadian-soldier-in-cyprus-784.jpg

Somalia
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297389431633_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/7349/acdme5.jpg

Afghanistan
http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8051/8095495600_8cc5187423.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/gldnhwk2/3ppcli/afg03.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3794/serveri.jpg

We wore the 82 pattern webbing in 92 when we went from Germany to the Balkans and took it with us in 94. I remember the combat jacket LBV in 97  in Dravr, but can't recall what we wore or took with us to Bosnia in 2000 or 2003. I want to say 82 webbing but can't really remember?

I recall having 4 mags in the two pockets on the frag vest in 93 Bosnia.

I don't recall using the webbing but do recall the hunting vest being used during work up for Croatia in 96.

Sorry must have been tired when I typed this (also I am not to smart). I was trying to say backpacking. with the right set up, it sounds like a good set up for backpacking even though heavy compared to civilian packs (also this kit that I have was given to me free). I was not sure how well the system held up when it was used for military operations. Also outside of changing the frame to the P64 frame, I never heard of any other custom work done to it or if it had any problems besides the wire frame breaking. The person I got it from said he never used the pack besides just packing stuff to go from base to base and when he was out in the field he was always behind a wheel so he never had a use for it. He also said he only ever used 1 magazine and it was in his rifle; he never heard of anyone who carried any magazines in the web gear. I was wondering if anyone did carry just the 4 magazines in the web gear and whom they where (infantry, drivers, so on).

-Skeletor- said:
It feels like someone posts questions about '80s era gear once a year

Has to have three criteria to fall under that conspiracy.

1. New user
2. First post about old webbing and what went into pockets.
3. Second post somthing to do with the rangers.

We're at 2 out of 3...

Do not know what you are going on about, but I was given a set of old army gear and would like to know something about it. And by the way, I do not care what you carried in your pockets and do not care about military trucks (except the M.L.V.W.). Besides the new trucks, I have always thought the Canadian military used G.M.C. trucks not Fords.

kimloftus14 said:
I was trying to say backpacking. with the right set up, it sounds like a good set up for backpacking even though heavy compared to civilian packs (also this kit that I have was given to me free).

If you are serious about backpacking, using it for camping, etc I'd recommend getting a proper pack.  Plus the ruck you have may have been free, but I've seen the 64 frames go for $70-80.

kimloftus14 said:
I was not sure how well the system held up when it was used for military operations. Also outside of changing the frame to the P64 frame, I never heard of any other custom work done to it or if it had any problems besides the wire frame breaking.

I've seen the frame changed out to the 64, new waist belt added, fastex buckles added, and a sternum strap added.

kimloftus14 said:
He also said he only ever used 1 magazine and it was in his rifle; he never heard of anyone who carried any magazines in the web gear. I was wondering if anyone did carry just the 4 magazines in the web gear and whom they where (infantry, drivers, so on).

His entire time in the CF and he was only ever issued 1 magazine?  As well, he never heard of anyone who carried magazines in their webbing? 

Plenty of people have carried 4 magazines in their webbing plus one in the rifle, from recruits on up to trained soldiers in units.  If you had the '82 pattern webbing and were issued 5 magazines, you carried them in the webbing.  I think the older way of carrying ammo was troops were issued 5 magazines and ammo for them, plus another 150(?) rounds in a bandolier.

a Sig Op said:
Has to have three criteria to fall under that conspiracy.

1. New user
2. First post about old webbing and what went into pockets.
3. Second post somthing to do with the rangers.

We're at 2 out of 3...

4. Thy have to post from a specific area of the country.

We are three for four now.

Is it that time of year again?  I used to have a list of the former user names.  Why they haven't all been banned is beyond me......  ::)

I can't for the life of me find the conversation where we unravelled the mystery...maybe it's a further part of the conspiracy?

The username is the only thing that doesn't match up directly. The old ones were all some form of a Joey, IIRC.

I don't recall where the old conversations are...to be honest, if this is the same person they have already wasted enough of people's time.

Scott said:
The username is the only thing that doesn't match up directly. The old ones were all some form of a Joey, IIRC.

I don't recall where the old conversations are...to be honest, if this is the same person they have already wasted enough of people's time.

Not all of them, but most:

naughty15tracy
edwardsjoey96
joeye11svcbn

That's all I could find right now.  I'm pretty sure there's more......

Same shit, different user name. 

What I am getting out of this is...someone has some older gear that was never returned when they cleared out.  Isn't that possession of stolen property?  Perhaps the RCMP should be alerted.

Bit of an aggressively paranoid leap isn't it?

There's 31 years worth of this crap in surplus store across the country...

There's a full extra 82 pattern ruck in my basement bought surplus to scavenge for parts for a 64 pattern. Would you like the number for the local RCMP detachment?

Reserves would often get issued 1 mag per rifle for exercises, didn't want them getting lost or dirty....

I managed to hang onto my 51 pattern and use it most of the time rather than the 64 pattern. Was quite impressed with 82 pattern when I got issued it and retired my 51 pattern. Never had much love for the 64pattern ruck as it dug into my back to much.

Correctly setting up 51pattern was a bit of an black art.

Back