• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Long time coming: A400M proceeds towards first flight

Genetk44 said:
Geo...I'm not sure if Airbus asked P&W for an engine proposal or if it was P&W  that came forward with the proposal. I'll ask my buddies at P&W this weekend when I see them.  I was told however, that the existing Euro companies that are presently involved with the engine development/production are/were quite far behind in the type of turbo-prop engine development and manufactureing skills that P&W has. I was surprised at that and mentioned the EADS ATR commercial aircraft ....P&W engines ;D , Fokker Turbo props....Rolls Royce Dart engines(1950s tech) and....P&W engines ;Da

I'm not extreamly familiar with european turboprop tech.  But the engines on the C-130J and C-27 are Rolls Royce.

MechEng said:
Well I don't think so.  There is a huge demand for military transports and cargo lift right now all over the world.  Nobody is really showing any more genuine interest in the expensive C-17 and production will be stopped in a few years.  Who else is there to compete with Airbus?  Is there another military lift aircraft that is currently being designed right now?

I'm not some Airbus cheerleader.  Airbus has done a lot of stupid things. But many people on here seem to heavily underestimate the resources that Airbus has.  It's seems as if many people on this forum despise Airbus.

- Fair comment.  

- Q1. Why do/would we dislike Airbus from a social perspective?  Is this an afterglow from the 'Airbus Scandal' of the eighties, or a general snub towards anything European?

- Q2. If they wanted turboprops, why not ask the Russians?  

A lot of these things are covered at this topic:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/53631/post-619922.html#msg619922

Mark
Ottawa

MechEng said:
I'm not extreamly familiar with european turboprop tech.  But the engines on the C-130J and C-27 are Rolls Royce.

The brand name on the engine is RR but it is American.  RR purchased Allison Engine (General Motors Div.) for Turbo props.   I think still built in Indy.

MechEng said:

You are partially correct MechEng....Rolls Royce is the name...but the engines are Allison Engines hence the designation for them as the model AE 2100D3 , designed and produced in the US.

Back