• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

London tuition riot

I had a bit of sympathy for the Brit students until I learned that the raise would only affect domestic tuition and that their tuition would be rising closer to levels paid by international students.  As a student of a UK grad programme, I have no problem with them paying what I pay.

It's nice and all to protest tuition hikes, but money is finite and we can't just expect the government to fund everything.

hold_fast said:
Theatre is not a hobby and can be a viable career to those who have it in them to succeed. Same goes for music, visual arts, etc. Schools are generally hold fine arts student to a certain standard, and discard those who can't meet said standard.

Just because someone isn't curing cancer or selling stock sure as **** doesn't mean they're useless to society.

That's a terrible argument. "Same goes" for everything. There was a time in my life when I didn't consider hockey a hobby for me, and I don't consider martial arts a "hobby" either. There are viable careers worth millions of dollars for "those who have it," but I never expected the government to pay the thousands of dollars I spent every summer on goalie schools, the thousands spent on ice-time, trips, etc. We fundraised. Maybe these theatre students should start doing bottle drives like I was doing from the time I was 4 yrs old to the time I joined the military if they're interested in "finding out" if they've got what it takes.

Which university holds fine arts students to a certain standard and "discards" those who can't meet the said standard? I've never heard of anybody failing out of a friggin fine arts program. If they don't have what it takes to be in a play, they use them to fill the other rolls involved in putting off a school play.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with pursuing an education in fine arts. That's fine and dandy, I could care less. I just find it awfully stupid that they are the ones out protesting for cheaper tuition, but I guess that's what the science and engineering students would be doing too if they weren't marked on a bell curve and spending 50 hrs a week at school. As well, it would benefit the country more if they placed more money into specific areas. Theatre was just an example.

I have absolutely no sympathy for people (canadians) complaining post-secondary tuition is too expensive.

I have been a post secondary student for a total of five years, and have no debt, what so ever, rather, I have money in the bank, and continue to save money every year. I've worked my way through as a reservist, an opportunity available to almost all Canadian citizens.

If thats not your cup of tea, I'm currently a student at a technical college, approx 1/3 of my class is being funded as EI recepients, meaning that EI is paying for 90% of everything (Tuition, books, etc) and allowing them to continue to receive EI benefits while they attend post-secondary... that's 90% of a 3 year diploma paid for... several of these folks started at age 18... worked for a year out of highschool, long enough to receive EI benefits, and then went back to school with full funding...

There are also all sorts of scholarships available, though a great many go unawarded every year, either due to a lack of unqualified applicants or (surprisingly) a lack of applicants period.

So while education is important, and I have no problem with some government subsidies, I have very little sympathy for those demanding education to be handed to them... it's already there, it only takes a bit of effort...

a Sig Op said:
If thats not your cup of tea, I'm currently a student at a technical college, approx 1/3 of my class is being funded as EI recepients, meaning that EI is paying for 90% of everything (Tuition, books, etc) and allowing them to continue to receive EI benefits while they attend post-secondary... that's 90% of a 3 year diploma paid for... several of these folks started at age 18... worked for a year out of highschool, long

Having some experience with these types, many of them are there for nothing more than NOT working.  They are usually not the highest performers mark Wise in the courses.  They are there for the "free ride" not the education, attaining poor marks and often delinquent in attending classes.  (This is a generalization, and there are a small percentage who are honestly there to gain an education and better themselves.)  EI and programs for Aboriginals are made with good intentions, unfortunately a good number of the people taking advantage of those programs are not so upstanding.

I can assure you, these guys are working... the "for the sake of not working" types don't bother with the longer programs, in this case, if they weren't working, they would have flunked out two years ago.

My point was, these programs are available, and with minimal effort.

a Sig Op said:
I have absolutely no sympathy for people (canadians) complaining post-secondary tuition is too expensive.

I have been a post secondary student for a total of five years, and have no debt, what so ever, rather, I have money in the bank, and continue to save money every year. I've worked my way through as a reservist, an opportunity available to almost all Canadian citizens.

If thats not your cup of tea, I'm currently a student at a technical college, approx 1/3 of my class is being funded as EI recepients, meaning that EI is paying for 90% of everything (Tuition, books, etc) and allowing them to continue to receive EI benefits while they attend post-secondary... that's 90% of a 3 year diploma paid for... several of these folks started at age 18... worked for a year out of highschool, long enough to receive EI benefits, and then went back to school with full funding...

There are also all sorts of scholarships available, though a great many go unawarded every year, either due to a lack of unqualified applicants or (surprisingly) a lack of applicants period.

So while education is important, and I have no problem with some government subsidies, I have very little sympathy for those demanding education to be handed to them... it's already there, it only takes a bit of effort...

What about people like me? Those who can't afford post-secondary education and wish to pursue it? I'm not sure if I filled out my Student Loan papers wrong or something, but I did not receive enough money to pay for rent AND tuition/textbooks and other fees for a whole calendar year. I know they expect me to work; but in these times when jobs are hard to come by (or people just don't like my resume :( ) I'm struggling to keep a roof over my head and in school.

What are we supposed to do? Not all of us are a fortunate as you.

EDIT: And when I did work, I wasn't paid enough to support myself before I was laid off; so I often had to work through several classes just to make sure I had enough rent for the month. Let's just say simply because of my unfortunate circumstance; I missed some assignment and even though I requested an alternate due date (or alternate writing time for a quiz) 3 days in advance - I was denied and ended up having to drop one course, and failed another out of 4 total. Why? "Work is not an excuse" Do universities think we all come from wealthy families!? It's ridiculous!

What about you? Take time off, work, save money, go back to school. Can't find a job? A rough neck course is what? 20 days long?

a Sig Op said:
What about you? Take time off, work, save money, go back to school. Can't find a job? A rough neck course is what? 20 days long?

I live in Vancouver; I cannot relocate. I do not have a car because I can't afford it and don't have any credit. I have sent out 59 applications, 62 resumes and cover letters. One phone call - and they called to tell me I wasn't being called in for an interview. All I have is my student loan; and if I take the time off to just work... what do I do about my loan? I have to pay it back once I'm no longer a student.

Your plan does not work for everyone.

Here's a question, what is it you're doing in school?

lethalLemon said:
Bachelor of Arts degree program in Crminology

And now for the second question, what is it you intend to do post-graduation with said arts degree? Baring in mind, you'll have to pay your loan then too.

(This is not a dig at arts degrees, well, ok, maybe it is a bit, but I am intently curious as to your plan, as employment opportunities will be almost as limited post-graduation)

lethalLemon said:
I live in Vancouver; I cannot relocate. I do not have a car because I can't afford it and don't have any credit. I have sent out 59 applications, 62 resumes and cover letters. One phone call - and they called to tell me I wasn't being called in for an interview. All I have is my student loan; and if I take the time off to just work... what do I do about my loan? I have to pay it back once I'm no longer a student.

I suspect that you are applying for positions that will fund you in a reasonable manner. That's great if you can get it, but you might have to lower your sights and work to offset a smaller portion of your costs....

Surprisingly, many of these positions lead to middle management positions if you have anything on the ball and are willing to put in the effort. Check it out.

lethalLemon said:
What are we supposed to do? Not all of us are a fortunate as you.

Get a job and work. Doesnt pay enough for a place to live ? Get a room mate(s) and split the bills. Work full-time for a while and save up for full-time school .......

fack, you guys act like no one before you has lived through this kind of thing.

lethalLemon said:
I live in Vancouver; I cannot relocate.

Personal choice. As a taxpayer, you mobility is not my problem. If you wanted to work, you would go where the jobs are. Thousands of Newfoundlanders managed to figure that one out........

lethalLemon said:

Why is something that "works for everyone" my concern, as a taxpayer ?

I couldnt afford CEGEP and neither could my mother ( bless her for she did try) so i quit, joined the CF and paid my way through higher education on my own. Imagine that, i managed to do post-secondary without government freebies........

a Sig Op said:
And now for the second question, what what is it you intend to do post-graduation with said arts degree? Baring in mind, you'll have to pay your loan then too.

(This is not a dig at arts degrees, well, ok, maybe it is a bit, but I am intently curious as to your plan, as employment opportunities will be almost as limited post-graduation)

I've always dreamed of becoming a Police Officer, I always had a dream of contributing to society to make it a better place. Ever since the day I saw the RCMP all decked out in the Red Serge during the Calgary Stampede parade when I was a young boy... That's what I wanted to do. Well, VPD and RCMP won't hire me until I'm 19; and they prefer people with post-sec education (not saying that they won't take me without it though); and my future Reserve forces training will give me a competitive edge when applying. However, my girlfriends father who's the head of the RCMP's Provincial Intelligence Centre in Vancouver said that there might be a hiring freeze for the next 4 years - but that would work because that's about the same time I'd complete my program.

In the meantime, I've been applying to every damn place from The Bay to Burger King.... and nothing.

CDN Aviator said:
Get a job and work. Doesnt pay enough for a place to live ? Get a room mate(s) and split the bills. Work full-time for a while and save up for full-time school .......

fack, you guys act like no one before you has lived through this kind of thing.

Personal choice. As a taxpayer, you mobility is not my problem. If you wanted to work, you would go where the jobs are. Thousands of Newfoundlanders managed to figure that one out........

Why is something that "works for everyone" my concern, as a taxpayer ?

I couldnt afford CEGEP and neither could my mother ( bless her for she did try) so i quit, joined the CF and paid my way through higher education on my own. Imagine that, i managed to do post-secondary without government freebies........

Get a job and work? Easier said than done. How about you find me a job and see how successful you are. Didn't think so because people are so heartless and selfish that they don't want to help the poor and struggling who just want to secure themselves a better future so they don't end up dirt poor and on the streets with nothing. A.K.A. - Me.

Personal choice!? I moved out of Calgary in the first place because the rent and tuition are higher AND I wasn't being hired - I have had better chances here in Vancouver. A rent a room out of a house $700/month - all my meals are included, all my utilities, hell; the woman who owns the house even washes and folds my laundry. Sure , I could move somewhere else and split the bill with a roommate; but then in the end it's going to cost just as much because my utilities won't be included and I'll have to pay for my own food on a separate bill (might even cost more, plus rent increases every year).

None of my family could ever afford higher education in their lives. They still can't. What does that have to do with anything?

Some of what you said makes good economic sense, the rest is "The Struggle"....you'll be a stronger man for it, even if it doesn't feel like it right now....luck!

GAP said:
Some of what you said makes good economic sense, the rest is "The Struggle"....you'll be a stronger man for it, even if it doesn't feel like it right now....luck!

I need every ounce I can get. Thank you

lethalLemon said:
How about you find me a job and see how successful you are.

I have a 15 year old just like you. Wants money, complains she cant find a job. In one weekend, i found her 3. The problem was not getting a job.......

I have zero sympathy for your situation. Zero.

Personal choice!?

Yes. Your entire story about living in Vancouver says exactly that. You have a good deal there so you are staying. thats YOUR choice.

CDN Aviator said:
I have a 15 year old just like you. Wants money, complains she cant find a job. In one weekend, i found her 3. The problem was not getting a job.......

I have zero sympathy for your situation. Zero.

Yes. Your entire story about living in Vancouver says exactly that. You have a good deal there so you are staying. thats YOUR choice.

No sympathy huh? Your 15 year old has done what? Gone to school. I have qualifications; unlike your precious little girl... and out of 59 applications and 62 SELF-DELIVERED resumes... Not a single one wanted an interview. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong; or is it because I'm a student? White? Short? Ugly? Who knows. But it's a piss off and depressing.

lethalLemon said:
Who knows. But it's a piss off and depressing.

I'm sure it is. Under pressure, some people fold while others focus. Which one are you going to be ? Or are you just going to continue bitching about the cost of school ?

And you are a reservist to boot. You have one source of income and access to programs that a majority of fellow students do not. that you are still complaining and displaying that attitude is incomprehensible and, frankly, pretty sad.

No sympathy huh?

None. Your problems have solutions but you are obviously unwilling to follow any of them. That is a CHOICE and does not deserve my sympathies, both personaly and as a taxpayer.

CDN Aviator said:
I'm sure it is. Under pressure, some people fold while others focus. Which one are you going to be ? Or are you just going to continue bitching about the cost of school ?

And you are a reservist to boot. You have one source of income and access to programs that a majority of fellow students do not. that you are still complaining and displaying that attitude is incomprehensible and, frankly, pretty sad.

None. Your problems have solutions but you are obviously unwilling to follow any of them. That is a CHOICE and does not deserve my sympathies, both personaly and as a taxpayer.

I'm an applicant; in the process. Not a Reservist, yet.

Care to share some of these solutions? I've tried many, and none have proved any worth. I'm still looking, I'm also not going to let my education go either; it's a dream come true for me to be even this far.

Back