• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistics Officer - Sea [Merged]

DrSize

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here.  Planning on joining as a DEO for a logistics officer preferably in the Air Force.  I more or less spent the whole morning reading all the posts and recruiting faqs.  I guess it helped clear up a few things for me.  Firstly I was under the impression that it is not all that competitive but now I am thinking quite the opposite.  I thought if you pass all the tests and are qualified they will brng you aboard.

So I guess my question is, since I could not find any posts on logistics officers, how competitive is the DEO for logistics officers??  I am a tad worried now that the process will not go as smooth as I originally anticipated.  I was hoping to be training in Quebec come January....

Sorry, can't help you about the Logistics question.   However, if you intend on getting course loaded for January you'd best get your application started ASAP.   I think you'll only have 2 or 3 months to meet the selection board deadline for January enrollees.

Just as a general comment, competition for positions in general is pretty fierce.  Just make sure you do your best when you apply.  Make yourself the candidate of choice and you'll find yourself in possession of an offer of employment.

Good luck!

Yeah I have my application form filled out, I am just waiting on my refrences....kind of a pain cause one of the people lives out of town so I have to mail him the form, and my boss is on leave until the middle of August so I think I will use a prof instead and hopefully get it in within the next 2 weeks....

Yeah do that.  You can always "add" more references to your file later if you want.  Won't hurt.

Logistics is pretty competitive to get in.  I think right now (new list coming out this week), they are only taking land logos.  The target is 53% land logos, 13% sea logs and the remaining air.  The sea and air slots tend to get filled up pretty quick.  Also, much consideration is taken into the candidate's degree.  Good luck!

Thank you for passing that information along to me, it was the first real bit of info I recieved regarding logistics officers other than at the recruiting centre or the website ie. pamphlets etc.  

I have an honours bachelor of commerce degree with a major in management information systems and a double minor in accounting and marketing.   I have played competitive sports all my life and consider myself an athlete even though it has been a few years since I have played college football.   Would my athleticism give me somewhat of an advantage over other applicants???   Also I have more or less 0 volunteer experience whatsoever, will this hurt me dearly on my application???  Is the selection process largely based on the scores on the written test??  I was under the impression the test was just given to make sure you have some sort of decent level of comprehension and it was a pass or fail.........

I am 100% committed to this and want to make it my career, I am not just applying because it is a good job with benefits etc and better than my current job.... I am applying because it is a way of life, a way that I want to live my life!!

When looking for officer candidates, they love to see team sports on your resume.  It shows that you can work with others toward a common goal.  They like it even more if you were a team captain.  Volunteer experience always look good on a resume but it sounds by your education, you have a lot to offer.  The written test is a pass/fail for all officer trades; it determines if your "smart enough" to be an officer.  It works differently on the ncm side of things.  From what I hear from you you would be a competitive candidate.  Keep in mind though, positions open and close quickly and even though you meet the requirements, there may or may not be a spot open.  Good luck though!

I would say you are a natural based on education.

Logistics can be anything supporting an operation.

There is lots to learn about at the Army Online Library http://armyapp.dnd.ca/ael/publications_ie.asp click Sustainment and it will give you a good intro to this area (logistics in a broad sense) as well as many other things about the Army. poke around the other areas - doctrine etc THIS IS FOR ALL!!!! :cdn:

I take it you have no connection so far with the military? No matter - many who come in like that have no baggage and thus can get down to learning the ins and outs quicker.

Its sounds to me like you could work in any area - Finance is based on the SAP system adopted by the government and then most everything else is a spin off of Project Management like you would see at the Project Management Institute at PMI www.pmi.org. They say its unique army terminology but its really universal - you can only feed and operate a large force or a small one in a few ways - or with a bag of rice and cut up tires for sandals and black pajamas.

If you email me via this link with your real address I can send you some stuff I made this summer for the reserve Major Qualification Course for Logistics Officers. We had a few regular majors on the course (the Chief Dental Guy from Gagetown - who was a real cool customer) he picked it up in no time.

I suppose the key observation I have after being in reserve and regular logistics since 1976 is that you deliver a service to the operational arms be they air, land or sea (the fighting elements) and most of them are too busy to worry about how you did it - just that you did it in time for them to get their part of the job done.

You should also be aware that Logistics is one of the most tempting targets for any enemy. Just think about the Roadside Bombs you hear of in Iraq - See this link   http://www.sftt.org/index2.html and look down the left hand side for Improvised Explosive Devices in Iraq.

Thats some ideas - as Groucho Marx said - if you don`t like these ideas I have more!   ::)

wow thanks alot, i will be checkin that stuff out.   I handed in my application with a cover letter today.....just waiting on my references...I am starting with a Dr who was my professor and a financial analyst/CA that is a reserve.....Here is my cover letter that i submitted.

I am committed to pursuing a career in The Forces as a Logistics Officer and feel I am a suitable candidate based on my interests and education.   I feel my education has prepared me well for this position, I have taken relevant courses in project management, operations management, financial accounting, management accounting, corporate finance, systems analysis and design, as well as organizational behavior to name a few.   I believe in living a healthy active lifestyle and feel this is exactly what part of being in The Forces is about; ready for anything.   Furthermore career progression and continuously building on skills and education is important to me, The Forces stands behind this rationale and dedicates resources to achieving this for the members.

My previous work and school experiences have improved my leadership, teamwork, management, and communication skills by having to record, analyze, prepare, and present data to my superiors or professors, as well as subordinates and classmates.   I love to compete in all aspects of life, consider myself a continuous learner and feel it is important to do the best job possible on anything that I come across.  

I never shy away from a challenge but more rise to the occasion so to speak.   I feel I would excel in a leadership position in the Forces such as an Officer.   Playing sports has taught me to become competitive in a team setting as well as leading whether it is in the workplace, in the classroom, in the weight room, or on a sports field.   I have been asked to lead a few of these teams by being team captain and been responsible in leading my teammates to victory or defeat.   I was also a member of the nationally ranked #1 university football team in Canada (University of Western Ontario Mustangs, 1999).   Being a member and leader of teams has given me the ability to work well in a team environment, communicate problems and directions with others as well as follow directions.  

If you feel you are interested in someone who is as career-committed as it takes to achieve total success, then please consider what I have to offer.

Sorry to jump in on your thread, but I was wondering. I've been told that logistics is a useful trade for humanitarian work in the civlian world. Anyone know anything about this?

Also - does anyone know what the difference is in terms of job responsibilites between an NCM in logistics, and an officer?

DrSize said:
Hi, I am new here.   Planning on joining as a DEO for a logistics officer preferably in the Air Force.   I more or less spent the whole morning reading all the posts and recruiting faqs.   I guess it helped clear up a few things for me.   Firstly I was under the impression that it is not all that competitive but now I am thinking quite the opposite.   I thought if you pass all the tests and are qualified they will brng you aboard.

So I guess my question is, since I could not find any posts on logistics officers, how competitive is the DEO for logistics officers??   I am a tad worried now that the process will not go as smooth as I originally anticipated.   I was hoping to be training in Quebec come January....

There will not be a selection board for Logistics Officer until May 2005.  Don't know the number they are looking for but I will post them when I get back to the office after the holidays.

Every occupation in the CF including NCM ones are becoming more and more competitive Hence the selection boards for NCMs.

For the last Log O board there was 105 files for two positions.  The files that were selected had MBAs and one or both were in charge of million dollar budgets in their current civilian occupations.  Why they want to join the CF who knows maybe they are looking for adventure.

All this to say that, having the basic requirements for any occupation does not make you competitive for that occupation especially if there are very few positions.  Higher education and related experience give you the best shot.

There will not be a selection board for Logistics Officer until May 2005.  Don't know the number they are looking for but I will post them when I get back to the office after the holidays.

25 LOG Army
6 LOG Air Force
4 LOG Navy

Is there much difference between Logistics officers in the army reserves to the Navy reserves in both job and training?

Well,

Army = land

Navy = sea

What do you think?

I'll clear things up with the key word -boat-.

Army and Navy Logistics officers do receive different training courses tailored to the unique demands of each Environment:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/logbranch/handbook/Volume1/chap4_e.htm

Phase 4 Logistics-Sea Officers' Course - Ship's Supply Officer
Phase 4 Logistics-Land Officers' Course - Platoon Commander
Phase 4 Logistics-Air Officers' Course - Flight Commander

http://www.dnd.ca/admmat/logbranch/handbook/Volume2/chap2_e.htm

203. LOGISTICS OFFICER OCCUPATION

1. There is one Logistics Officer Occupation.Within that occupation there are three sub-occupations namely:
        1. Logistics-Sea (78B);
        2. Logistics-Land (78C); and
        3. Logistics-Air (78D).

2. Logistics-Sea (78B). In this sub-occupation, the emphasis during the early career stages is placed on employment/training at sea and employment at a Naval Formation, Base or Unit with a view to gaining leadership experience and reinforcing the newly learned functional and environmental training.  As soon as possible, the Sea Logistics Officer will be expected to serve at sea as a Ship's Supply Officer.Subsequent to that posting, the focus will shift to training and employment in any of the principal logistics competencies discussed below. With progression in rank and experience, a wider scope of command and staff opportunities will be presented.  At Commander level and above, employment will be at National Defence Headquarters dealing with Joint and Combined Operations, management of logistics functions.

3. Logistics-Land (78C). In this sub-occupation, the emphasis during the early career stages is placed on employment/training in a General Support or Close Support Service Battalion with a view to gaining leadership experience and reinforcing the newly learned functional and environmental training. Subsequent to that posting, the focus will shift to training and employment in any of the principal logistics competencies discussed below.With progression in rank and experience, a wider scope of command and staff opportunities will be presented.At Lieutenant-Colonel level and above, employment will be at National Defence Headquarters dealing with Joint and Combined Operations, management of logistics functions.

4. Logistics-Air (78D). In this sub-occupation, the emphasis during the early career stages is placed on employment/training in an entry-level junior Logistics position at an operational Wing, building on the newly learned functional and environmental training and acquiring leadership experience and a detailed understanding of the unique aspects of providing support to air operations.Subsequent to that posting, the focus will shift to training and employment in any of the principal logistics competencies discussed below. With progression in rank and experience, a wider scope of command and staff opportunities will be presented.At Lieutenant-Colonel level and above, employment will be at National Defence Headquarters dealing with Joint and Combined Operations, management of logistics functions.

5. Officer Specialties.Within each of the above three sub-occupations are the following areas of officer specialization and each Logistics officer must become professionally competent in at least one of these:

1. Supply Chain Management (SCM, qualification code AIHJ).This principal qualification enables the member to undertake the duties and responsibilities associated with performance measurement and cycle time development and control of inventory and management of materiel.This will include monitoring warehouse utilization, approving contracts and procurement, supporting deployed operations, organizing distribution, materiel movements and ensuring adherence to TB, HAZMAT and workplace safety regulations;

2. Transportation (Tn, qualification code AIHK).This principal qualification will enable the member to undertake the duties and responsibilities associated with basic MSE operations and safety, and the management of the vehicle fleet under their control and basic movement of cargo and people in support of military operations;

3. Financial Management (Fin Mgt, qualification code AIHM). This principal qualification enables the member to undertake the duties and responsibilities associated with Organization and Establishment control, prepare/review costing of activities and cost benefits analysis, design Activity Based Costing/cost centre management, conduct Alternate Service Delivery process, assess and report on Business Plan performance, manage public revenue, contracting goods and services at the local level and Comptrollership;

4. Human Resources Management(HRM, qualification code AIHL).This principal qualification enables the member to undertake the duties and responsibilities associated with Personnel Administration and Personnel Services;

5. Food Services (Food Svcs, qualification code AIHM).  This principal qualification will enable the member to undertake the duties and responsibilities associated with Food Svcs in static locations and in support of deployed operations.This will include co-ordinating, organizing and monitoring food procurement and production use of labour and facilities;

Infanteer said:
I'll clear things up with the key word -boat-.

I could take this one step further !

Sea Log - Clean white sheets nightly to sleep in, Stewards serve you your meals daily, do only 2 or 3 sea tours that will last 2-3 years then will drive a desk for the remainder of his/her career!

Hey Guys

Some follow up questions to my last submission on DEO PSEL or Logistics. I think I have ruled out the DEO PSEL due to lack of Masters degree.

Can Logistics Officer's - Army  take parachute training ?

Does anyone know what the realities are in terms of applicant entry dates for DEO Logistics- Army if I applied within the next week....I have my references lined up, finished my degree with a 4.0GPA nine years ago, have lots of professional administrative experience ( universities), was a former varsity soccer team captain,sit on several provincial committees and I have been a good boy (no shady history). However, I was born and raised in the UK and have only been a Canadian Citizen for 5 years ( security clearance issues ?).......

Would I miss DEO Logistics boards this spring ?

Any help is appreciated..

I can answer two of your questions:
1) Yes Log Officers can take parachute training
2) Your security clearance shouldn't take much longer than someone born in Canada (coming from a Commonwealth country) and Log Officers don't require the highest levels
You seem like a good candidate, but I cannot say anything about being picked up...many factors involved that I know nothing about.
Hope this helps somewhat
Shadow

Back