• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistics Officer - Sea [Merged]

Do we not think that the world has also changed?

A degree doesn`t cut it these days for most employers. It needs to be in said domain and it helps if you have 2 yrs of experience or more for an entry level job.

Thank god for student placements  ;D

George Wallace said:
Yup!  You would have had to go Combat Arms like all the rest of us Neanderthals.    [:p

I had an epiphany a number of years ago that I really should have joined the Artillery.  I like big guns...

Oh well, too late now.  That and I also have a fondness for indoor plumbing.

MJP said:
The HR staff in a Combat Arms unit is small and experiences may vary so the guidance isn’t always there.  That same logic has been applied to the Logistics world and it makes sense to keep it that way unless you do make your G1s and maybe Ajdts, Log Os.  That of course waters down the Adjt posn in many including my own eyes.
It would appear the UK Army has both Adjts and HR/Fin officers in each unit.  The Regimental Administration Officer (RAO) is a captain of the Adjutant General's Corps.

From UK CSS doctrine, in the chapter on battle group CSS:
21. Adjutant - The adjutant is the principal G1 staff officer in the unit and relieves the
CO of as much routine work as possible whilst keeping him informed of all important
matters affecting the unit. He is responsible for the organisation and functioning
of the unit HQ, written confirmation where necessary, of the CO’s direction and,
in the event of the CO becoming a casualty, the assumption of command pending
the next senior officer’s arrival.

22. Chaplain - ...

23. RAO - The RAO responsible for all aspects of personnel administration including
pay, allowances and charges, documentation and the reporting of personal occurrences
including reporting of casualties from the theatre of operations; the provision
and issue of local currency; payment for supplies and services; collection of
monies due to the public unit non-public funds; and advice on military/MOD sponsored
insurance schemes. The RAO will also advise on aspects of Administration
in the Field and the establishment of RAOs.

Good Day, I have done lots of research on this site and the recruiting website.  I have applied to be a Logistics Officer for the Air Force.  I know that logistics is broken down into different specialties my first course is finance (I aim to be a Comptroller) and my second human resources (which I have read is an Air Force only specialty), which is the reason for Air Force.

I was wondering if some one could verify for me how my courses will go and how long each are.  From what I have researched they will go in this order.
-Basic Training - 14 Weeks -at Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School - Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
-Logistic Officer Common Course(LOCC) (10 weeks, 35 days) -CFSAL - Borden 
-Specialty course (Supply or transport or finance or HR or food services) -CFSAL - Borden 
-Logistic Officer Common Air (LOCA) (26 day course)- CFSAL - Borden 

Then I have also read about the Air Force Officer Development program "The officers do the Air Force officer Development (AFOD) program, done on the internet, in blocks, at specific points during their careers ( block 2 after being trade qualified, block 3 in the later part of employment at first unit, block 4 senior captain/Major.......). AFOD block 5 will be residential, at CFSAS in Winnipeg."  In another post it had stated that there was a Common Air Phase, which is 2 weeks in Winnipeg.  Are both of these referring to the same course or different courses?  Or is one course now phased out by the newer one?  Some of the treads date back about 10 years and from what I have been reading there has been recent changes (5 or 6 years ago) for logistics. 

I have read over some great logistic threads such as these and more, can't remember all of them that I have read:
-http://army.ca/forums/threads/103589.0
-http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/99328/post-1017697.html#msg1017697
-http://Army.ca/forums/threads/106225.0.html

I am just wondering if I am correct on the order of courses and on the lengths, I know that there will most likely be some time in between each course as well.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond. 

While I can't speak to the Air Force specific questions you asked, I can begin by answering the Logistics training questions. BMOQ is 14 weeks at CFLRS. Upon completion you will be posted to your first base. The logistics courses only run at one time of year (LOCC begins in June) so you will likely be doing some OJT for a couple of months though that is dependent on when you finish BMOQ. LOCC is 7-8 weeks long (can't remember specifically) and then you will go back to your home unit and wait for LOCA. LOCA is 4 weeks long and generally runs in the fall time frame. The schedule normally arranges for you to finish LOCA and move right into your specialty course the following week as everyone will finish LOCA(ir), LOCS(ea) and LOCL(and) within a few days of each other and move into the specialty courses.

Someone in blue will have to answer your AFOD questions as I have no knowledge of them whatsoever.

Cheers

Thank you for your reply, some updated information is helpful.

Cheers,

HR isnt only Air Log....there have been army pers do the course.

I wouldnt take that specialty with someone elses 10 foot pole though

Go ATO ;)

Jester_TG said:
HR isnt only Air Log....there have been army pers do the course.

I wouldnt take that specialty with someone elses 10 foot pole though
:evilrifle: ATO ;)

I didn't take that speciality and somehow I still ended up HR...Took both Supply, Transport and Fin Mgmt...and have been working HR non stop :not-again:

Has anyone ever heard/done the CCLP program? I see it's one of the recognized programs for scoring on the Branch website, but no one I've talked to has ever heard of it.

I'm looking for an alternative to doing a masters degree, since apparently we can only do MBA's through RMC and they require an honours degree which I do not have...

Cheers,
  NSDreamer

Where did you get the info you could only do an MBA through RMC? I know only sponsored MBAs are through there (although you can work it to take the majority of courses at Queens), but can you not use your ILP to work on your MBA from elsewhere?

And, as an RMC grad myself, good gravy, why would any Log O want an MBA from RMC? Not this one  [:D If you want to stay in the PLog world when you are out, I sincerely recommend that you examine the aspects of the Log world that really interest you and find an MBA program that builds on those aspects. While the security-world issues that the RMC MBA covers can be extremely useful to many career paths, for most Log types (that want to remain in the non-military logistic world), it is of limited use.

If you are interested in working with some of the multinational/NGO groups that are doing some very interesting work in some not nice places (there are a few Canadian ones now. One in particular run by veterans), then that might be a great fit, maybe even DFAIT (caveat: wrt DFAIT, our military background is, in my experience, not well respected, no matter just how applicable it may be. My dealings have been minimal since release, and not at all since the change in government, so that might be different now.....but I doubt it lol).

Unless your BPSO is a giant DB, you can get approval for an MBA from any institution. They certainly are not cheap, but the payoff (literally) can be worth it.

As for the Honours degree, many programs state that requirement, but exceptions can, and often are, made for those people that are working professionally in the field. I got my BMASc from RMC ('08) and was accepted into three post-grad programs before I settled on the one I wanted in '15, 2 years after I released. They all stated that an Honours degree was a requirement, and I am by no means a super student.

Wookilar said:
As for the Honours degree, many programs state that requirement, but exceptions can, and often are, made for those people that are working professionally in the field. I got my BMASc from RMC ('08) and was accepted into three post-grad programs before I settled on the one I wanted in '15, 2 years after I released. They all stated that an Honours degree was a requirement, and I am by no means a super student.

Not to mention different provinces use the word "honours" differently... A friend of mine almost didn't apply for a program at Waterloo (the only place it is offered in Canada) for her Masters because it said she needed an honours.... Turns out, in Ontario, they have 3-year Bachelor programs and an "honours" just meant a 4-year Bachelors. She ended up applying after learning that and got into it just fine.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2012/02/23/most_ontario_university_students_prefer_fouryear_bachelor_degrees_survey_finds.html
In Ontario, about 94 per cent of university students graduate with a four-year honours bachelor degree, the study found, but less than half had finished that degree in four years.

Obviously there is a different definition of "honours" in Ontario than what I am used to, because by definition 94% wouldn't be allowed to have one since at my alma mater it "requires higher than average academic achievement."

I don't know much about the Log world (yet) but my understanding is that a CPA designation is appreciated. On the Infantry SCRIT it was worth the same as a Master's, so I would imagine it is the same in the Log world at least. The CPA program is designed to be done while you work full-time. If you want any info on it I can probably answer, although I can't help you out with how it works for Log career progression and such.

EDIT: Worth noting that ILP will pay for your CPA studies, including if you have to complete any prerequisite courses through the PREP program.

My ILP was approved for an MBA and I chose the online option with Athabasca University. It took me 4-1/2 years and it was one of the most academically enriching times of my life. Not only did I learned from the Professors but also from my peers who came from a wide assortment of backgrounds and all with deep business experiences.  One was nurse whose paper was on the health care fiscal crisis in Canada and the role that IT can play to reduce administrative costs. One of the guys in my supply chain class worked at the Walmart regional distribution centre in Toronto.  We had many an interesting discussions comparing the two. Best of all, I have used what I've learned to improve some portions of the Canadian Military Supply Chain.

Some MBA programs do not asked for an Honours Degree but they will investigate to see if you have the necessary business / work experience to compensate.

I have not followed the Logistics Branch has been recently saying with regards to professional designations but I know that they still encourage people to get their MBA. 

All good replies, thank you.  I  guess I'll start calling up universities about the honours degree requirement, and dig a little deeper into the "RMC" only bit I was told, god knows the things I have been told over the years that aren't true...

I hadn't even thought of a CPA though my degree is certainly not in math, it looks like it can be based on work experience and that I have plenty of heh.

Much more thought to go before making a decision I suppose...Research and thought anyway

NSDreamer said:
All good replies, thank you.  I  guess I'll start calling up universities about the honours degree requirement, and dig a little deeper into the "RMC" only bit I was told, god knows the things I have been told over the years that aren't true...

I hadn't even thought of a CPA though my degree is certainly not in math, it looks like it can be based on work experience and that I have plenty of heh.

Much more thought to go before making a decision I suppose...Research and thought anyway

Most CPAs go in with a degree in business, not math (contrary to popular belief, the math that most accountants do is not actually that advanced). Either way, it doesn't matter if you did your degree in music, you just need certain prerequisite courses to start the program. If you don't have all of them, you can do PREP modules to get the ones you don't have (which ILP will also pay for). Let me know if you do want any info on it.

CPA is definitely worth looking into, particularly if you like the project management side of the house. If you have looked after a decent sized budget, you'll probably have most of the math you'll ever need.

Wookilar and calculus do not mix well, especially when there are math jokes thrown in by a Russian weapon scientist  ???, but never had any issues counting beans.

Hello everyone,

I am currently in university in administration. I have 1 year left to graduate, and I have been interested in the military for some time. I'm 25 and in my 17, I tried the QMB but I did not finish it by lack of maturity I think. Right now, I'm wondering what's waiting for me in my job if I'm a logistics officer. What can the first days look like in an assignment? Is it only staff supervision? I am of a rather shy temperament, so it is an aspect that makes me a little afraid I admit. So, I wonder if there are officers among you and what does your daily life look like? Thank you to all of you!

rick321 said:
I wonder if there are officers among you and what does your daily life look like?

Logistics Officer
https://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Logistics_Officer

Hey!

Can anyone give me a rough idea of LogO - Sea career progression up until HOD tour? I found the info for army but not sea log and I know it is quite different. Looking for promotion timeline, courses and potential postings.

Thanks Mario but a lot of the information is over 10 years old, links are broken and the information is not correct. I hope someone that is currently a junior officer can provide more current / detailed info.

Back