• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistics Officer - Sea [Merged]

2) Your security clearance shouldn't take much longer than someone born in Canada (coming from a Commonwealth country) and Log Officers don't require the highest levels

It has absolutely nothing to do with what security level Log Os need (which is Level II) it has to do with how long the applicant has been in Canada.  If an applicant has not been in Canada for the last ten years or since they were 16 years old then they require a pre-assessment to determine if there are any security objections to that person being a member of the CF and that pre-assessment can take up to 18 months or longer to complete regardless if the applicant is from a Commonwealth country.

kincanucks said:
It has absolutely nothing to do with what security level Log Os need (which is Level II) it has to do with how long the applicant has been in Canada.  If an applicant has not been in Canada for the last ten years or since they were 16 years old then they require a pre-assessment to determine if there are any security objections to that person being a member of the CF and that pre-assessment can take up to 18 months or longer to complete regardless if the applicant is from a Commonwealth country.

Thanks... I was only basing it on my "after-getting-accepted" experience.  However, I think even in this case "CAN" is the key word.  Basically there is no way of knowing how long it will take.  There are so many factors involved in the process. 
Cheers!
Shadow

However, I think even in this case "CAN" is the key word.  Basically there is no way of knowing how long it will take.  There are so many factors involved in the process. 

Stay in your lane.

As for the Log acceptance question.  I know nothing about being out of the country etc.  But, I was sworn in recently with another army loggie wannabe.  I have lots of experience and a commerce degree.  The other wannabe has an architecture degree from another country and a business diploma from Canada and very little experience.  I leave for IAP in Sep, she leaves for the 10th of April.  I could have left early too, but was only given a couple weeks notice.  Anyway, I hope this helps.

Just a quick question.  I was offered army log and that is what I will do.  However, what if I want to change environments in future?  Does anyone know if that possible? 

Wow, it really suprises me how competitive the applications are for logistic officers. That's what I want to be in the future, an logistic officer in the navy, if I like the military life. I'm 17 and applying for army reserves for artillery, but seriously, I had no idea that logistics officer is such a competitive MOC.

I guess what I meant to say was, can one change elements?  From army to air force.  My wife is considering joining as an air traffic control officer.  She is one as a civilian.  Does anyone know?

Has anyone recently completed Reserve Sea log officer training? That is Phase III Logistics Officer Common Course ( LOCC) . I see the new recruiting webpage reads that the Part A to this course for reserves is all online. I have recently finished my naval environmental course (NETP-0, old Mars 11) and the next step is my log courses. I have a huge civilian job and getting 8 weeks off at a time is impossible. I am trying to find out if this on line course is actually happening or is the 8-week course modulated into a smaller time frame. Any info at all would be most appreciated. I have been trying to get info from my unit and want to talk to my career manager, but no luck so far.
Thanks in advance

Does anyone know how either one of these courses work?  Info would be greatly appreciated!

Could a mod re-locate this thread to see if it gets any responses in the Navy section?

Pretty please?

Anyone know if Log O-NRD (Or Supply O, as NAVRES calls it) is directly transferable to Reg Force Log O? Thx

Also, a follow up, is it true that you need to be trade qualified before you can do a CT to the Reg Force? or can you CT once you finish IAP/BOTC?

Shad4now said:
Anyone know if Log O-NRD (Or Supply O, as NAVRES calls it) is directly transferable to Reg Force Log O? Thx

Yes.  However, I'm not sure that the trade courses are the same b/c the Res Log course is in Quebec City and the Reg Log course is in Borden. 

Technically the trades are distinct - some NAVRES financial systems differ from the reg force counterparts and, of course, reg force LogOs go to sea so there is associated training for that. The worst case I encountered was an A/SLT I met out west - he had been a reserve Log LT(N) who taught the Log courses at Borden for many years. When I met him he had just transferred to the reg force, was reduced in rank to A/SLT and was going off to take the course he used to teach at Borden. Burn. I expect he could have gotten a better deal from the CFRG. As a rule of thumb, always reject their first offer or you'll end up like this guy.

Also, a follow up, is it true that you need to be trade qualified before you can do a CT to the Reg Force? or can you CT once you finish IAP/BOTC
No need to wait. You would be better off transferring earlier - preferably before your trade courses because they do differ slightly and you would probably end up having to redo at least some parts of the training for the reg force.

I recently finished my degree in Commerce (Finance & IT). I have had hard time finding a job in the private sector and given the opportunities in the forces, I'm thinking of applying for a logistics officer position. I looked through the previous posts and I couldn't really find information specifically on Logistics Officer, so if these questions have being previously answered, I do apologize.

1) What are my chances given my current educational background? Physically I'm in good shape and have no background history, good credit, I'm even a minority. Only thing I can think of is I have bad sight that can only be corrected through contacts (not glasses). Is that going to hamper me given that I'm applying for non-combat role? I tried to find the specific Vision requirement for logistics officer, but I couldn't find any.

2) Anybody here give me further insight on the role? Day-day activities. Are you basically going to be in some office or are you going to be stationed overseas? Are you attached to a combat unit or are you stationed to a base. What are the chances you are going to be permanently situated in a certain location. and if not what is the time frame for being at one place at a time. I know these sound very basic, but I've never being exposed to the military and never even thought about it until now.

3) I plan in the future doing my MBA and further graduate studies. What are the opportunities in the military in this regard? Do they have programs which partly found or atleast encourage this? At the least will I be able to take time off (2years) to get this accomplished?

4) Finally, one of the things that attract me to the military is the job security and as well as potential for growth. Is this just a myth that every employer touts or is it real? I'm very dedicted and will work hard, and if merit is the biggest factor in promotions, I think am in good shape. My question really are promotions based on performance or basically who you know and how much "kissing" you are willing to do.

Jpargo,

I am currently completing my undergrad in Commerce as well and will be graduating this year. Upon completion of my studies I will proceed to training for Log. in the air environment. I was accepted under ROTP last year, meaning my education was subsidized. Given that the only real military exposure I've had was IAP last summer, I do not have a breadth of knowledge to share with you, but will do my best with what I know to answer your questions.

Firstly, I find it interesting that you are having a tough time finding a job with the degree/major that you have studied. You really do have a lot of options open to you. Its important that you realize the monetary opportunities for those of us in this area of study are far greater in the private sector (especially in finance). However, the job security and benefits you will enjoy as an officer are second to none.

1. Being a minority helps. Your vision does not matter because it is not a requirement for the trade. I would recommend reviewing www.dnd.ca and look under the various job descriptions. Logistics officer will be listed under all three elements (air, army, and navy). It will offer detailed info. that I'm not going to repeat here. Educational background is good as it fits well with the LOG role - depending on what you want to do. There are many different roles LOG takes, finance being a small branch, again consult the recruiting website. The better your marks are, and the more leadership/good job experience you show the greater your odds.

2. Can't tell you about day to day as I don't have that experience yet. You can be stationed anywhere in Canada and have the opportunity to go on deployments overseas. Also, as you progress in rank more interesting assignments become available such as UN HQ in Belgium. These are typically 2-3 yr postings. Again, it all depends. The chances of being permanently in one area are none. You will move around a few times during your career. Generally, you will be posted to locations that coincide with your element. IE> army bases, air bases, and ships.

3. I also plan on doing my masters. There are plans in the military that encourage this but with everything else they are competitive and there is no guarantee. Also, the military may offer to pay your studies but they may want you to concentrate on a specific subject that suits their needs over your own. Work hard and the opportunities will be available to you like in any other job.

4. Of course there is extremely good potential for growth otherwise no one would be interested in the forces as a career choice. Note that advancement in any work environment is based upon performance AS WELL AS WHO YOU KNOW AND HOW MUCH KISSING YOU DO. Thats just life. Frankly, if you go into business in the private sector you will have to do much more "Kissing" to get ahead...believe me I know from personal experience.

My advice: go talk to a recruiter who will be able to offer more insight into your options. Its definately a good way to go, and if its not for you, you can always get out later on and go back to civy life. You'll have gained a lot of experience and it looks f****n good on a resume.

Well there ya go. Clear as mud now eh? Hope that helps...

I was waiting for you to field that one, zorro. Good post.

Good luck jpargo, and welcome to the site.

thank you zorro, that was very informative. i will be in contact with a recruitment office and will make my final decision at that point.

Sorry, but I want to ask why being a minority has advantages for joining the CF?

Kruggle said:
Sorry, but I want to ask why being a minority has advantages for joining the CF?

Recruiting quotas oops, targets.

Employment equity and diversity: Myth-busting

"Department of National Defence/CF equity program. In fact, the EEA prohibits imposing quotas.
Instead, the CF has established recruiting targets for women, Aboriginal peoples and persons belonging to a visible minority."

Back