• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistics Officer - Sea [Merged]

MJP said:
Is NAVRES LogO trg done in Quebec or Borden?

Currently done in Quebec. My understanding from an email I won't reproduce here, is that it should move to Borden in 2015 and be conducted more along the lines of RegF LogO.

As in all things, MTF.

ModlrMike said:
Currently done in Quebec. My understanding from an email I won't reproduce here, is that it should move to Borden in 2015 and be conducted more along the lines of RegF LogO.

As in all things, MTF.
Ahh seen.  I would have grabbed the crse dates if it was in Borden. 

Sorry to stir up an old thread, but I am currently interested in pursuing a Logistics Officer position with the Naval Reserves as a Class A. I have a degree, and already have a civilian career.

I see that Summer 1, I'll be at BMOQ. I assume during this basic training I'm paid at a daily wage of a Officer Cadet? Once I've completed BMOQ do I rank up to 2nd Lt (A)? Is there a typical promotion timeline for this position? I.E. after I complete NAVRES LogO Phase 3 Mod 1 or 2 do I rank up again?

Seeing that I'll most likely need to take leave without pay for any training, it'd be helpful to know what I can expect to bring in financially.

Some clarity on this aspect would be greatly appreciated.

mranderson said:
Sorry to stir up an old thread, but I am currently interested in pursuing a Logistics Officer position with the Naval Reserves as a Class A. I have a degree, and already have a civilian career.

I see that Summer 1, I'll be at BMOQ. I assume during this basic training I'm paid at a daily wage of a Officer Cadet? Once I've completed BMOQ do I rank up to 2nd Lt (A)? Is there a typical promotion timeline for this position? I.E. after I complete NAVRES LogO Phase 3 Mod 1 or 2 do I rank up again?

Seeing that I'll most likely need to take leave without pay for any training, it'd be helpful to know what I can expect to bring in financially.

Some clarity on this aspect would be greatly appreciated.

The basic route for you should be:

Summer 1 = BMOQ as an OCdt followed by promotion to A/SLt
Summer 2 = Phase 3 pt 1
Summer 3 = Phase 3 pt 2 followed by promotion to SLt
You will then have to complete you OJT package and spend 2 years in rank. During the same period, you will have to complete your NETPO and NRD Officer of the Day. These last two courses are DL and can be done any time. After all of the foregoing is complete, you are eligible for promotion to Lt(N).

This is what should happen, not necessarily what will happen. You will be paid the daily rate appropriate for your rank while you are training, the rates are available online.

Mike5 said:
I wonder if the Army Reserve has a greater percentage of folks with established careers in comparison to the Naval Reserve?

Going from a "must do basic in the summer, then four months of summer training to get your QL3" to a weekend basic system with at least one weekend a month off plus less than two months of summer training sure helped for sigs.

You also run into domestic issues over losing most of your weekends, but even that front is better than several additional months away from home.

ModlrMike said:
The basic route for you should be:

Summer 1 = BMOQ as an OCdt followed by promotion to A/SLt
Summer 2 = Phase 3 pt 1
Summer 3 = Phase 3 pt 2 followed by promotion to SLt
You will then have to complete you OJT package and spend 2 years in rank. During the same period, you will have to complete your NETPO and NRD Officer of the Day. These last two courses are DL and can be done any time. After all of the foregoing is complete, you are eligible for promotion to Lt(N).

This is what should happen, not necessarily what will happen. You will be paid the daily rate appropriate for your rank while you are training, the rates are available online.

Thanks for the information. While I'm not doing this to get rich by any means, the drop in income for several months over a couple years is a bit of a concern when combined with the fact that I'd be staying at a low rank/ low pay position for so long.

A lot to think about, definitely wish I considered this while still in University and not in a career.

Pity one can't join at the top  :p

You could always do some overtime, if you're compensated that way, prior to going on course. That way you can do some dollar averaging over the leaner months.

Yes, I'd likely try and do income averaging or something similar at my full time job to spread things out.

Apologies in advance if this has been asked already, but sometimes it's hard to know what to search for and I have the feeling the answer will differ for each unit anyways. Am I able to work as much as I want? Or is there typically a limit of hours I could work for the reserves per month? And then does it work according to a set schedule, or if I happen to have an afternoon free I can report in and do any necessary work related to my position?

The Reserve "job" is broken down by class of service, in loose terms:

Class A = part time
Class B = part time, term
Class C = full time (equivalent to Reg Force)

For your training, you'll be Class B. After that you may be lucky and get an opportunity for more Class B now and then. Class C is only for operations, both domestic and international.

Class A is what most of the Reserves work. This is your weekly parade nights etc. Generally Class A are limited to a maximum of 12 days per month. This is usually only afforded to members in the unit who hold an appointed position (Coxn, Deck O, Supply O etc) who are not already full time. There may be occasions when you get offered days in excess of your normal parade nights. I would recommend that you take them if they fit into your schedule. The more you participate, the more you'll be asked to participate.

As an aside, I saved vacation, statutory holiday time, and overtime hours rather than have the pay, in order to take paid leave from my employer. You may be able to bank hours if your employer agrees, so you can take them later, thereby saving you the trouble of being short for some pay checks.

I am looking at completing my Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration ( On my Own ).  I am wondering without contacting the BOR, if anyone would know if this type of degree would  match the criteria to become a Logistics Officer.  I had heard that the military was maybe asking for specific degrees for its applicants such as needing an Economics degree for Supply.  Hoping a Business Administration degree would be adequate.

chadk said:
I am looking at completing my Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration ( On my Own ). 

Just curious; which school has Bus Admin as a Bachelor of Science instead of a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Commerce?

chadk said:
distance school out of the States

Before you do that, makes sure the CAF recognizes the institute and the program or you'll have paid for and completed a degree that you can't use.

If its University of Phoenix, I strongly encourage you not to.

chadk said:
I am looking at completing my Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration ( On my Own ).  I am wondering without contacting the BOR, if anyone would know if this type of degree would  match the criteria to become a Logistics Officer.  I had heard that the military was maybe asking for specific degrees for its applicants such as needing an Economics degree for Supply.  Hoping a Business Administration degree would be adequate.

Most officer occupations now have "specific" degree requirements.  As a general rule of thumb, the caveate "received from an accredited and recognized Canadian Academic institution" always applies.  If you have access to the DWAN, you want to look at CANFORGEN 145/14 and click on "Reference C" (MOS ID Entry Standards).  It's relatively black and white but keep in mind that these do change from time to time, so what is acceptable today, may not be acceptable tomorrow.

If you are going to pursue this on your own with a plan for future career changes, I would highly suggest consulting with your local PSO Office for guidance, as they will have the most current policies available.

Hello,

I'm interested in joining as a Logistics Officer.  I understand that the first step in training is BMOQ in Richleau for 15 weeks, the CAP in Gagetown, and finally trade training in Borden.  I cannot, however, seem to find anything on how long the CAP and trade training takes.  If anyone knows this, I'd appreciate it.  Also, is there typically a lot of wait time between courses?  I'm just trying to get a line on how long it takes to get thru all the training in a best case scenario.

Also, I've just turned 50.  I assume that's older than the typical DEO...  Any insights anyone can offer as to obstacles/advantages that might present would be appreciated

log O hopeful said:
Also, I've just turned 50.  I assume that's older than the typical DEO...  Any insights anyone can offer as to obstacles/advantages that might present would be appreciated

This may help,

Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/87496.50

log O hopeful said:
thanx very much, Mike, that was indeed helpful

You are welcome, and Good Luck!  :)

Back