• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LOA letter for employer

Maxadia

Inactive
Reaction score
My current supervisor (school principal) has asked me to submit a request for leave in order to complete officer training.  The fortunate part is, he would like me to submit reasons supporting his wish to have me continue to be paid for the two weeks leave that I will need.  I am a high school teacher, and the dates that I need leave for would mean that I would only miss the last few days of classes plus our exam period (which consists mainly of exam supervision, marking, prep work for next year - very little job coverage needed).

Is there anyone out there who has previously submitted a request of this type?  I was thinking of taking the line that this will be a huge amount of professional development in the area of leadership that will be provided to them, at no charge to the school board, as I would normally be paid to the end of the school year as well. 

Any tips in this area would be greatly appreciated.  I am one of the luck ones to have an employer who will allow the time off for training, so I'd like to get this right and set things up for success in the future.

Thanks.

RDJP said:
My current supervisor (school principal) has asked me to submit a request for leave in order to complete officer training. 

This may help.

http://www.cflc.forces.gc.ca/ees-pae/rr/rus-pau/tlr-elr/lr-eng.asp

Letters from Reservists

Employee Request for Leave for a Course

[DND or Unit Letterhead]
[File Number]
[Employer or supervisor name]
[Address]
[Date]

Dear []:

As you may be aware, in addition to being employed with [company or organization name], I am also a member of the Reserve Force, serving with [unit name] in [community].

Reservists such as myself serve in the Canadian Forces on a part-time basis. As a member of the Reserve Force, I am required to undergo various military training courses in order to develop skills that will allow me to take on increasingly difficult positions of responsibility.

In general, there are three aspects to all courses I undertake. The first is skill training as a [trade]. The second is general work and management skills such as problem analysis, time management, leadership, teamwork and self-discipline. Finally, being in the military requires that I meet a high standard of duty, integrity and dependability. I believe that this training is not only of personal and professional benefit to me, but also has a direct and positive effect on my civilian employment.

This year, as part of my career progression, I have the opportunity to complete a course to be conducted at [location] from [date] to [date]. I therefore request leave for military training [in accordance with established company policy]. [I also request that you consider salary top-up to fill the gap between my military and civilian pay.]

I hope that you will give this request your most serious consideration. Your investment in my military career also represents an investment for [company or organization name].

If you have any concerns about the nature of my service, please don't hesitate to call [me] [rank, name and position of Commanding Officer or designate] at [telephone number].

Yours sincerely,

That's great, thanks.  If I missed a sticky somewhere...whoops...if not, perhaps this should be stickied. 

Thanks again.

Back