• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liquor Control Board of Ontario workers to take strike vote.

Retired AF Guy

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
O joy of joys! It appears that the Ontario govt and the union representing LCBO workers are negotiating on a new contract and the union is already threatening to take a vote as to whether they should call a strike.

LCBO workers to take strike vote next month

Union members angry that LCBO management has proposed a four-year wage freeze. While a strike vote will be held in April, more bargaining is scheduled.

By: The Canadian Press, Published on Sat Mar 23 2013

Unionized workers at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario are stepping up pressure on management as the two sides negotiate a new contract.

The 7,000 members of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union say they’ll take a strike vote next month.

OPSEU says its members are angry that management has proposed a four-year wage freeze and a host of other concessions.

OPSEU spokeswoman Denise Davis says the strike vote doesn’t mean employees will walk off the job, adding more bargaining is planned for next month.

Most of the employees work in LCBO retail stores, but some work in warehouses and at head office.

The current contract with the provincial government-owned company is set to expire March 31.

“We never bargain with the intention of striking but our employer needs to roll up its sleeves and get down to some genuine negotiations,” Davis said in a news release issued Saturday.

The LCBO said in an emailed statement that the union put in only 10 hours of face-to-face bargaining before going public with plans for a strike vote.

The Crown corporation says restraint in the area of employee compensation is a key part of the provincial government’s plan to eliminate the deficit and the LCBO must negotiate in the context of that economic reality.

Just because the union is talking about strike votes doesn't mean they will go on a strike. However, if they do go on strike I think they will be shooting themselves in the foot big time as a strike would only increase depends that the LCBO be privatized.

Retired AF Guy said:
Just because the union is talking about strike votes doesn't mean they will go on a strike.

The LCBO said in an emailed statement that the union put in only 10 hours of face-to-face bargaining before going public with plans for a strike vote.
It sounds like going on strike is on top of their tool box.

ObedientiaZelum said:
It sounds like going on strike is on top of their tool box.

Yea,..because everyone loves to go months without a pay. ::)

It's a bargaining tactic..........

If the LCBO workers went on strike would the union reps/leaders also go months without pay or do they still get paid?

Usually they go without pay,...however I can't speak for their union.

You do realize the "leaders/reps" don't get to make those decisions until they are given that mandate FROM the members?

Yessir.

When I said top of their tool box I meant in so far as threats and bargaining tools go.

Going into talks with a 10 hour or else we strike threat didn't seem very open minded thats all.

Not we strike,.......we see if we have a strike MANDATE from our members if things don't go well.

..and I'd say it's as open-minded as 4 years of nothing *plus* concessions.  I wonder what your posts in a thread would like like if that was the offer to the military.....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I wonder what your posts in a thread would like like if that was the offer to the military.....

Well, we haven't seen freezing incentive pay suggested as a likely CF austerity measure ... yet.

More importantly, when might the LCBO workers go on strike and for how long. Those of us with needs may have to stock up.

Sorry I read the story wrong.  They had 10 hours of talks before deciding to take a vote to strike or not. I thought they were only going to commit to 10 hours of talks before voting. If they spoke for 10 hours with no progress I understand the strike vote.

If that was offered to the military? I'm fine with a pay freeze for 4 years. 

The concessions? It would depend on what they were. I'm pretty sure the LCBO employee's don't get paid nearly as well as us nor with the same benefits.
At the same time they don't wreck their body, uproot their family or deal with IEDs.

Michael O'Leary said:
More importantly, when might the LCBO workers go on strike and for how long. Those of us with needs may have to stock up.

It's nice to live in a border town where we don't need to worry about trivial matters like LCBO strikes :nod:

...and my belief is, just like OPSEU did, a freeze will be the outcome say for about 2 years with a few givebacks.  Let's be honest, most folks know there's nothing to give but they don't matter to the media looking for a story..............

Michael O'Leary said:

I've got a few options here:  Homebrew; the SAQ across the river in Quebec; and, worst case scenario, all those strange liqueurs that are in the back of the liquor cabinet.

dapaterson said:
I've got a few options here:  Homebrew; the SAQ across the river in Quebec; and, worst case scenario, all those strange liqueurs that are in the back of the liquor cabinet.

Don't forget the Beer Store, your friendly neighbourhood monopoly that I'm sure would be willing to take up any slack from the striking LCBO.

Retired AF Guy said:
Don't forget the Beer Store, your friendly neighbourhood monopoly that I'm sure would be willing to take up any slack from the striking LCBO.

I avoid The Beer Store like the plague - poor variety, unmotivated staff, a Soviet-style customer service model, and a government-protected monopoly that's run by the three biggest producers who actively work to prevent others from getting a foothold in the market.

I do let them take back my empties from the LCBO though......... >:D

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I do let them take back my empties from the LCBO though......... >:D

Hey, they take back empties from the SAQ & Quebec depanneurs as well...

ObedientiaZelum said:
I'm pretty sure the LCBO employee's don't get paid nearly as well as us nor with the same benefits.

If I am reading their collective agreement correctly (http://www.opseu.org/lbed/2009-2013%20CA%20Signed-Executed%20120329.pdf), then that would be an incorrect assumption. From a wage perspective, a permanent full-time retail person starts at $47,000 per year and will be at $55,000 per year three years later (Liquor Store Clerk Grade 3). They also receive a comprehensive benefits package. While I could not figure out what their pension is like, it looks like there is some sort of employer-matching and the plan is managed by OPSEU.

Back