• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Linksys Wireless G Adapter PCI

ramy

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this card ? I tried to install it on XP and the drivers dont work with the ones provided on the CD. I also downloaded the drivers from the linksys website and still get an error while installing..
thanks

You have to install the software that comes with it as well...  That's the Linksys way!! :)

If it is anything like my D-Link or Netgear cards, you have to install the software BEFORE installing the card.  That's because they need their own software, not the ones XP would assign.

Try physically removing the card, then removing the card using Control Panel.  (Control Panel, system, hardware, Device Manager)

Then insert the Linksys CD and follow the directions.

Then, physically install the cards.  (Of course, turn off computer first)

Then boot up.

Should be fine.

I had a LinkSys card that required it's own propriatary software to function properly in XP. The only problem was that it had a memory leak and would soon consume hundreds of megs of memory and just keep eating more. So I returned it and bought some Microsoft Wireless G PCI card which has been fantastic ever since.

thanks for the input guys, im going to try to install the software and then reinstall the card and see what happens. If it doesnt work out too well I will probably get another card.

thanks again.

Use device manager. When XP is looking for drivers, point them towards the CD.

Ok, step by step instructions (it's my job)  :D

deinstall the card (select uninstall in device manager)
physically unplug the card
install the CD that came with the card (the software called Instant wireless I guess)
physically install the card back in the computer
boot the computer, it should find the card by itself and install the drivers

You're done!

You can add me to your MSN if you need help
fruss@iquebec.com

no one has posted in a while, so i hope that means the problem is fixed!
what frank in Vancouver said should work.
*****Dont ever put in the card and then try to install the software after you've put in the card, or while the card is in because things like this will happen (im not saying you did that) pcs are just finniky little buggers that piss you off and then break when you coerce :mg: it to do the right thing. if you just uninstall everything and then re-install it in the correct way 1) install software from cd 2) restart computer, let the changes take effect 3) turn computer off insert pci card then turn computer on again. sometimes you can skip step 2, but its better to be on the safe side and it could save you much time and aggro.
cheers.

Back