• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lightweight military style boots and where to find in Calgary

LoneObserver

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm looking for some lightweight everyday utility boots, that can double as light hikers.

I've been looking at threads about Magnums,Bates, Danner Stiker's, 5.11's etc. I was have a couple questions I was to get some input on.

I'm looking for something that is lightweight and cool with decent support and durability these will be used mostly in town but with the option to take them on light hikes without destroying them.

I'm not a big fan of gore-tex boots but it can be hard to find some models that don't have gore-tex, so I'm considering buying one pair of black semi-dress type boots and another pair of desert style hot weather boots for the summer.

I really like the idea of boots zippers for fast or no light doffing/donning but  it's just theoretical to me right now.
Can anyone offer some firsthand experience and pro's and cons of zippers. Are they reliable, tight enough fit, do they blow out at all?

In summary I'm looking for"
military/law enforment style
lightweight (running in them isn't a trial)
cool
durable enough
with zippers

Most important is, does anybody know of a store that stocks a good selection of the "military style" footwear Calgary. Boots are one thing I really hesitate to buy online.

I've been to Wholesale sports and Bass Pro Shop they have a few models mostly Danners.Mark's Work Warehouse is mostly limited to heavy safety toe work boot styles in store.
I was wondering if there any stores that specialize in this type of law enforcement/military style gear.

Thanks

Zippers seem like a good idea, but most people I know have had problems with them, easily damaged...

I own a pair of Magnum Amazon (Desert Boots) boots, worn as a combat boot, and now as everyday wear, and as a hiking boot... the downside is the sole is fairly soft, excellent for hiking on trails, but not so much for off-trail, plus it wore out rather quickly... for $40 I had them resoled by our local shoe maker, much better now with a vibram hiker style sole.

http://www.workauthority.ca/products/index.php

Good store, 1 located at Deerfoot Mall. Carries good range of Work and Service type boots.
I wear the Converse C1874 (I have them in Black and a US version in Tan) they are good walking boots, they get a lot of miles here in KAF. They are also Composite toe etc so good levels of protection. I have not had any problems with the zippers.

WrenchBender

I have Magnum Stealths for Mil duty and Magnum Stealth Side Zip Composite Toe and Shank (CSA approved) for work. They both weigh around 1.5 pounds per pair. I've had running shoes that have weighrd more than that. I don't think you're going to find a better, lighter boot. Mind, my SWATs come pretty close.

Magnums do seem popular, however finding a store in Alberta where I can actually try them on with my orthotics is proving to be a challenge.
How are the composite toe boots for comfort and heat in KAF? I don't think I would go with a comp toe boot because I can see that being hard on the toes when I'm hiking downward on a slope.

I'll definitely take a look at the Work Authority store although it looks like the only service style boot they have are the Converse, and no desert style.
Does anybody know of a store that stocks Magnums or 5.11s in Calgary?
How are Magnums for ankle support?

Thanks for the info so far guys.

Back