• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

lifestyles in the CF

C

Christopher23

Does anyone in the army ever consider what it is like to be gay in the military, If you have any thoughts or questions about this, lets discuss it.

:sniper:

Whats the US deal on that?
Dont ask Dont tell.. I think that will work here too... :(

There was an article a while back in The Maple Leaf about a Captain (Air Force I think) that "came out" sort of speak. Try checking through the online archives of The Maple Leaf, I‘ll take a look again, if I find I will post the link.

I would think the Don‘t Ask Don‘t Tell rule might apply but not sure on official policy. Any SHARPE trainers in the forums here.

Here‘s the link mentioned earlier

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/MapleLeaf/html_files/html_view_e.asp?page=Vol3_25___14-15pp

There is NO official policy on this matter. In fact I had a Private (recruit) write to me on his Autobiography for BMQ that he was a homosexual. No big deal as far as I am concerned.

While zoomie is right, there is no official policy, I am certain that the "don‘t ask, don‘t tell" policy is an unwritten rule in at least the combat arms trades. We‘re not gonna ask, ‘cause we don‘t wanna know... basically if you leave the door closed, nobody will come barging in and ruin your party. :cdn:

But if your mates do find out/you tell them that you are into... alternative lifestyle, things may get a bit... tense.
Frankly, as long as it does not effect your performance as a soldier, it should not matter, but it may effect your relationship with other guys in your unit.

Does anyone remember that awful SHARP video:

"But he can‘t be gay, he‘s an Indian"

I heard that the video or the makers or who ever got in hot water over that comment. Kinda ironic.

Sometimes things can be brought two far though i believe. This summer in a certian training area there was a soldier who while their peers had to sleep and eat in modular tents they were given accomodations in shacks and had access to the showers and mess on base while everyone else had to make due with the field kitchen and cold showers.
I‘m not exactly sure how to say it but they had both genders.
Apparently there were almost half a dozen cases of harassment involving this individual, all of which were dropped. Nothing was done about the false accusations either. People were afraid to speak to the individual because they did not want to risk upsetting them and being charged with harassment. The person turned around and wanted to charge the whole course for "creating a poisonus work enviroment" because no one would talk with them.

Whatever someone does in their personal life is their buisness but if it continually effects everyone around them then their situation should be looked at.

The official policy used to be that homosexuals were okay within the military but if they "came out" or were found out by the MP‘s their careers were limited in the following ways: no courses, no promotions, no postings. This policy was changed in the early 90‘s (not sure exactly when) so that they could not be discriminated against career wise. Of course, there will always be people in all walks of life who will give homosexuals a hard time. It really depends on who you‘re posted with, what your trade is and your sex as well. In my experience, lesbians are generally treated better than male homosexuals. I find that most women are just more accepting of gay women than men are of their own sex.

Back