• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lifestyle/Marriage During BMOQ/Flight Training

• Thread starter Deleted member 102242
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 102242

Hi all,

I'm facing a couple of tough decisions and was looking for any advice I can get from people around here  [:D [:D. I've looked through the forums here but there is nothing very recent or pertinent already on here.

I am currently considering two major decisions: 1. Get married to an amazing woman, 2. Accept a not yet official, but likely offer for a position as a pilot in the RCAF (see comment at end). I understand that until I am offered a position nothing is for certain, but that doesn't mean I can't think about it and contemplate the consequences of such a decision.

My girlfriend knows my intention to be in the Air Force, and she understands that I (and she...) would be making a lot of sacrifices, especially time, for me to serve my country and pursue my childhood dream. She has ambitions to have children relatively early (as do I), and my salary as a pilot would probably allow us to live a decent, but non-plentiful life. She is currently completing a masters program in dietary health at a competitive European University, and is going to spend some time after this studying for her MCATs. Naturally, if her Doctor thing works out, children are going to be pushed back which is fine. However, she wants to be a GP so that she can work flexible hours and still raise children. Additionally, her skill as a doctor might make finding jobs in the remote places I will probably end up working somewhat easier, which is great and would definitely supplement income.

I guess what I'm asking for is just people's opinions on how much of a pipe dreamer I'm being, or comments about being in a relationship while going through training. I also have some more specific questions here that I would love to have answered.

1. Has anyone gotten married before joining and survived it?
2. While I am in BMOQ, Primary Flight Training in Portage LaPrairie and Secondary Flight Training in MooseJaw, will the military allow me to live with her? Where will I technically be 'posted' during this time, and as such where will I be offered moving assistance?
3. Does anyone have a number on exactly how long the course in Portage la Prairie actually is? I've looked, and the closest I can find is maybe 2 months or something?
4. Basic salary once you have your wings is about 76,000 a year, and moving up to captain supposedly takes about 3-4 years (obviously varying greatly), which brings you up to closer to six figures. I understand that there are often times additional financial perks, like distance pay etc. Does anyone have an idea of how much extra this ends up being? If I have someone who is willing to raise kids, I'd better be able to give them enough money for food and some fun.
5. Unrelated, but when selecting people for fast jets, do they care what degree you took? Because I went to a stupid hippy dippy school where I have a "bachelor's of Arts and Science", not exactly aerospace engineering (although I have a high enough GPA and I studied economics, business and statistics). They don't really seem to care regarding my general acceptance as a pilot, but does your degree influence decisions about the stream you end up taking?

My end dream is fast jets, however, I have decided that if this doesn't work out, and if my life changes, I would also be happy with helo/multi as well, especially because it sounds like you get better posting locations and perhaps a marginally better work life balance.

I appreciate anyone's comments, and look forward to hearing any opinions! Sorry about the long post...

Cheers!

*I have passed ACS with a somewhat "above average" score according to the instructor there, and am simply waiting on my advanced medical over in Toronto. While nervous, I have no health conditions I'm worried about. Anyways, when I had my interview my interviewer said, in no uncertain words, that passing my last medical would make me a "very competitive applicant" whatever that means. I am looking to go direct entry.

2. You can either be IR until your full training is complete or choose a full posting to Moose Jaw. If you get a full posting you will get relocation benefits. With IR you will keep your current residence.
3. 2 months if everything goes smoothly. During winter, more like 4 months
4. Basic salary is 2LT pay. Check the pay scale. You will not advance more than 1 level until you get your wings, no matter how long the training is. If it takes more than 3 years to get your wings, after wings you get promoted to Capt directly, but there is no longer backpay for capt rank. So more than 3 years = lost pay.
5. Degree doesn't matter. You can have a degree in music if you want.

Locations can be found on the RCAF poster or here: http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/wings-squadrons.page

1. Has anyone gotten married before joining and survived it?
2. While I am in BMOQ, Primary Flight Training in Portage LaPrairie and Secondary Flight Training in MooseJaw, will the military allow me to live with her? Where will I technically be 'posted' during this time, and as such where will I be offered moving assistance?
3. Does anyone have a number on exactly how long the course in Portage la Prairie actually is? I've looked, and the closest I can find is maybe 2 months or something?
4. Basic salary once you have your wings is about 76,000 a year, and moving up to captain supposedly takes about 3-4 years (obviously varying greatly), which brings you up to closer to six figures. I understand that there are often times additional financial perks, like distance pay etc. Does anyone have an idea of how much extra this ends up being? If I have someone who is willing to raise kids, I'd better be able to give them enough money for food and some fun.
5. Unrelated, but when selecting people for fast jets, do they care what degree you took? Because I went to a stupid hippy dippy school where I have a "bachelor's of Arts and Science", not exactly aerospace engineering (although I have a high enough GPA and I studied economics, business and statistics). They don't really seem to care regarding my general acceptance as a pilot, but does your degree influence decisions about the stream you end up taking?

1. Plenty of married guys (with kids!) successfully go through the pilot training pipeline. I'm in the pipeline right now, and my wife and son are along for the ride. It has its challenges for sure, but it's certainly doable.
2. Living together: BMOQ - no. PFT - no. BFT in Moose Jaw can be a full posting: you can live together, full relocation benefits apply.
3. Perfect world, PFT is 7 weeks. Weather days, sick days, aircraft serviceability and other factors will stretch it out. Mine took 12 weeks.
4. You won't be disappointed with your pay once you're qualified. Its more than enough to support a family. I supported my family for years on a Cpl's salary, which is far less than a qualified pilot, and we lived comfortably.
5. They don't care about what you did beforehand. They look at performance during training.

There is a shortage of Flight Surgeons. The only one here in Kingston is a civilian doctor on a contract (likely through Calian). Should your wife become a doctor, perhaps she should seek a Flight Surgeon qualification (sorry, no, I do not have a clue how a civilian doctor would do so), and you could possibly both be happily employed on the same base.

I was making $112,000 base pay (not including Aircrew Allowance) for my last few years.

As a follow up question, I'm applying as soon as Ill pass medical (Had LASIK 2 weeks ago), Guy what happened for you in regards to Second Language Training? The Forces website says you may be sent for it and it lasts 2-9 months [For me based on my limited French it would probably be the full 9 months] but I have my concerns about being away from my family for a year with BMOQ and SLT taking place back to back.

I've found some info saying that if you're married you don't go to SLT but it's is a bit older so I'm not sure if its still reliable or not.

Pilot-Wannabe said:
I have my concerns about being away from my family for a year with BMOQ and SLT taking place back to back.

I've found some info saying that if you're married you don't go to SLT but it's is a bit older so I'm not sure if its still reliable or not.

See also,

Second Language Training [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/12756.75.html
4 pages.

NO FRENCH For Married Pilots out of BMOQ 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/98652.25.html
2 pages.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Guy what happened for you in regards to Second Language Training?

I haven't attended SLT, and likely won't for a long time, if ever. You don't need a French profile to fly a planein 9 provinces out of 10

At one time, the year-long (residential) SLT course was a dumping ground superb way for AF Plt Trg to fill time for pilots facing lengthy wait times for pilot training. However, the training system seems to be churning out pilots at a fairly decent pace, and the year-plus long waits for courses now seems to largely be a thing of the past. PFT courses start monthly, and wait times between PFT and BFT were at one point measured in years, now it is measured in months.

I'll do a bit of digging in the coming days and see if I can get some solid answers on SLT and post-BMOQ/pre-PFT postings, but anecdotally speaking, requests to be posted near your family after BMOQ are entertained, as long as there's some military unit near them that you can work for.

That said, if you want some second language training post-BMOQ without hanging out in La Belle Province for a year, shorter SLT courses are available at CFLS Dets located at most CFB's.

Can anyone comment on how much of a detriment it can be to live out during Flight School in Moose Jaw?

I've recently got my Plt offer through SCP so I will be skipping both the degree portion and BMOQ (as I have enough to get it written off) so I'd likely just be BTL until a spot opens on PFT.

I know the flight school in Moose Jaw is 8 months on paper but likely much longer. Myself and my wife have discussed options, one is for me to see if I can get a posting. The other is go up on training (be it IR or whatever) and she'd probably get a place in Regina (she's Public Service so she can likely get  a position off the priority list for Relo of Spouse) as we live a pretty minimal lifestyle and could move ourselves for Probably <$5k. It would be nice to have her close for weekends or when there's leave breaks, but we're pretty flexible, having done many multi-month Ex's and 7 month deployment before.

My real concern is I wouldn't want to decide to go for a posting only to realize that not being at the school with the rest of my coursemates will make the training more difficult for me. That's my #1 concern. We're fine to be apart for a long time, but obviously I like spending time with the girl:p

Congratulations.

Moose Jaw is a posting.

I was looking at Moose Jaw on Google Maps Satellite View recently and a bunch of PMQs have vanished, along with another hangar. My old Q is still there. Even when I went through, lots of students lived out.

If you've not yet read through all of the other Pilot threads, I'd suggest that you start.

Hi All,

Sorry I disappeared. Your guys' post helped a TONNE with my decision, and it was nice to know there's others out there who have made similar choices. I'm still on the competition list... and waiting anxiously. She has contacted a recruiting centre about military medicine aso someone kindly suggested, so hopefully it's on the up and up!

Thanks AGAIN!

FA22raptero said:
Hi All,

Sorry I disappeared. Your guys' post helped a TONNE with my decision, and it was nice to know there's others out there who have made similar choices. I'm still on the competition list... and waiting anxiously. She has contacted a recruiting centre about military medicine aso someone kindly suggested, so hopefully it's on the up and up!

Thanks AGAIN!

Always nice hearing when the site/the members on it were able to lend a hand. This is what it’s all about folks!

Yes. And for anyone who cares, I did get a YES  ;D

Back