• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Life as a Hull Technician

PrivateJM

Inactive
Reaction score
I am seriously considering applying to be a Hull Technician but have a few questions I would like answered to help with my decision. 

1. How oftend are you away from your home port a year? 
2. How often can you move up the ranks after BMQ?
3. What is the average age of most Hull Techs when they apply?
4. What can I expect to be spending most my time working as a Hull Tech?

If anyone that has experienced this occupation and can comment on it for me then that would be much appreciated. 

Thanks alot!

This is the second thread you've started wondering about Navy life.

Before you wear our patience thin, I suggest, you compose one post in Word, asking all the questions you need to. Save us the trouble of coming back daily, weekly, monthly or hourly to answer you.

However, before you post, please go tto the Navy forum and run searches on all your questions. Most have already been asked and answered already.

Please, also, go and read the guidelines before you post again.

OK thanks for the guidance!  I am new at these forums believe it or not so I must have bad etiquette, sorry for wasting your time. 

Just a quest heads up, the trade has not been accepting people in for like at least a year and a half now. (afaik, I've watched the monthly BPSO reports)

And it's quite simple, BPSO put it like this, the trade is filled and no one is retiring/releasing/OT/VOR/whatever because the trade is good.

And most of the questions you asked can be found in other threads.

Thabnks for the input evryone.  I will be checking the site out more thoughly in the near future.  It is weird that there is no openings in BPSO because I spoke to my recruiter a couple weekes ago and they showed me all the occupationas that were available and they specified Hull tech.  They are only open on tues and thurs in my area so I am heading in tomorrow to ask more questions and apply for the position if in fact its open. 

I'm just guessing here, but I believe the BPSO is only involved in occupational transfers, not recruiting.  Thus the BPSO's list of available trades may differ considerably from the Recruiting Centre's (i.e. trades may be open for recruitment off the street, but not for transfers from other occupations).  Considering that shutting down recruiting entirely for long periods of time is a bad idea (well proven at this point), I would not be surprised if there are at least a few openings for recruitment into Hull Tech.

PS:  I always thought Hull Tech was pretty cool job.  For the most part it's also a day job, so you get to sleep reasonably normal hours.

We do have some small movement in retirements here on the EC.  Not many, so I can't say how it will affect direct entry or re-muster.  But, the trade is healthy and there are no lack of folks wanting to enter.  Good luck.

Back