• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberals want Handgun Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said on his monthly talk show on CP24 last night (Tuesday 13 Dec 2005), that he does not support the idea of a handgun, that he is in favour of stronger sentences for using a gun in a crime, sentences that will be served completely and that cannot and will not be bargained away.  Finally, some common sense coming out of T.O..  Although I have not been a big supporter of Blair and his "group hug" way of policing, this I support.  He is certainly sticking his neck out there in the lib-left commune we have going on here in Toronto.  The convservatives need to pick up on this, and show that the guy who has been handling this problem all year while Miller et al. were asleep at thier posts doesn't believe it has any merit.

Highland Lad said:
One reason gun crime in the GTA has gone up so dramatically in recent years is the rise of the "Rent-a-Gun" criminal.

Essentially, you have criminal entrepreneurs who have possession of a weapon who charge for its use. Think about it: only one person has to try to hide a weapon (when not in use), and hundreds can benefit from its availability! It's the free-market system at its finest, no?

If that were the case, you'd see repeated use of the same guns as exhibited by rifling marks on bullets retrieved from crime scenes.

Hatchet Man said:
Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said on his monthly talk show on CP24 last night (Tuesday 13 Dec 2005), that he does not support the idea of a handgun, that he is in favour of stronger sentences for using a gun in a crime, sentences that will be served completely and that cannot and will not be bargained away.  Finally, some common sense coming out of T.O..  Although I have not been a big supporter of Blair and his "group hug" way of policing, this I support.  He is certainly sticking his neck out there in the lib-left commune we have going on here in Toronto.  The convservatives need to pick up on this, and show that the guy who has been handling this problem all year while Miller et al. were asleep at thier posts doesn't believe it has any merit.

Vilifying handguns will only make it harder and harder for honest citizens to own them, and completely crush the dream of some sort of concealed carry law.

redleafjumper said:
What is astounding is not that Paul Martin's Liberals want to steal the property of hundreds of thousands of law-abiding Canadians, but that there are actually some people who don't have a problem with that act.  I hope Fry and others in the Maritimes and Ontario are much more successful in electing conservatives and de-electing liberals than has been the case in the past.
Not likely - the Liberals are polling above 45% in Atlantic Canada. That's clean sweep territory.  The handgun ban proposal won't win them any more seats since handgun violence isn't a problem there, but it won't cost them anything since most recreational gun owners there are of the long gun variety.

R0B said:
If that were the case, you'd see repeated use of the same guns as exhibited by rifling marks on bullets retrieved from crime scenes.

How do we know that is not the case?  Do you work for TPS FIS or the Ontario Centre for Forensic science?

Hatchet Man said:
How do we know that is not the case?   Do you work for TPS FIS or the Ontario Centre for Forensic science?

If this were the case, then the problem wouldn't really be illegal guns being smuggled from the United States, it would be a few guns being rented around. The police haven't been linking these crimes together, and they would be able to if this were a matter of gun renting.

R0B said:
If this were the case, then the problem wouldn't really be illegal guns being smuggled from the United States, it would be a few guns being rented around. The police haven't been linking these crimes together, and they would be able to if this were a matter of gun renting.

You sure about that, how do you think the cops were able to execute Project Impact and Pathfinder and takedown those Malvern gangs whose criminal proceedings have just begun.

"How do we know that is not the case?  Do you work for TPS FIS or the Ontario Centre for Forensic science?"

- Less people do all the time?

Remember a few years back, the feds closed a crime lab to help pay for the gun registry.  True logic.

Not to mention the money allegedly pulled from breast cancer research because guns were a greater female health issue.

Tom

Pure stupidity.
$650 million would be better spent cleaning our hospitals and preventing infections. How many people die every year due to improper cleaning of our hospitals?

Or we could salt more stairs, did you know that you have a 50% chance of death in the 12 months following a hip fracture?
There is the real threat to Canadian safety "slip and falls".

Being a newfoundlander, I'm noticing more and more people talking about voting Conservative. Especially the younger people such as myself. Before, we could really care less about who got in, but many are angry with the Libs in my area.

All I have to do is go back and remember the trouble we had to go through, to get money that was promised to us by Martin, how went and said we couldn't have it.

Each time I think about it, Paul Martin and his corporation of crooks get worse by the minute.

As for recreation out around here, target practicing with sidearms is growing more and more.

Paul Martin mentioned that several federal buildings here in Newfoundland would be closed. One of these being the RCMP headquarters, East White Hills Rd, St. John's.

This, mind you, is a new building, which took millions upon millions to build. It 'needs' to be closed because there's no money to keep it running. So, Martin will lose more money  by closing it down, selling it for a fraction of what it cost to build, and someone'll luck out by purchasing it for a cheap price.

Half a billion here, half a billion there.... with a little money management, we could become 100 times more wealthy than what we are. Pity, such a shame.

Fry said:
Is Paul Martin really insane? I'd have to say YES!

Personally, I think we really should beef up our policing services and our armed forces, put more money into education thus lowering tuition and Violent Crime rates.. Stiffer sentences for ALL crimes.

Man accused of shooting officer was under firearms ban
Last Updated Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:34:06 EST
CBC News
A 40-year-old man with a history of disputes with police has been arraigned on a charge of first-degree murder in the shooting death of Const. Valérie Gignac in Laval, north of Montreal.

François Pepin had been charged repeatedly with issuing death threats and harassing police officers and court workers. He was under a ten-year court order barring him from possessing firearms, the CBC's Amanda Pfeffer reports from Laval.

François Pepin 
Despite the ban, which dated from 1999, he had asked for, and was granted, permission to use a gun for hunting during the fall season.

FROM DEC. 14, 2005: Suspect surrenders after Quebec police officer slain

He had been charged in recent weeks with stalking another woman officer on the Laval force, and had been arrested in connection with that charge by Const. Gignac and her partner, the city's police chief said.

Along with the murder charge, Pepin was arraigned Thursday on charges relating to the firearms ban and possession of a high-powered rifle.

He didn't enter a plea and his lawyer didn't seek bail. He is being held in jail and will be back in court for a preliminary hearing on Feb. 15.

Shot through an apartment door

Police union officials told reporters it was "highly disturbing" that a man forbidden to possess firearms would be permitted to have one under any circumstances.

Const. Gignac, 25, was shot through an apartment door shortly after she and her partner reached the scene of a noisy quarrel in the northern district of Laval des Rapides on Wednesday morning.

"The type of gun you would use to shoot elephants"
She wore a flak vest but the bullets apparently passed through or below it. Such vests may stop a pistol bullet but offer limited protection against more powerful rifle rounds.

Laval police chief Jean-Pierre Gariepy said the two officers knew Pepin was dangerous because they had arrested him about a week earlier in connection with the stalking charge.

No chance against a .338 rifle bullet

He said two shots were fired as they flanked the door and one struck Const. Gignac.

She had no chance, he said, against a .338-calibre bullet from a rifle he described as "the type of gun you would use to shoot elephants."

Const. Valérie Gignac 
He said she was facing away from the door when the bullet hit her in the lower back and passed through her stomach.

She was taken to hospital in critical condition and later died. She had been on the force for four years.

Pepin surrendered after a seven-hour standoff with heavily armed police backed by an armoured personnel carrier.

Montreal's La Presse reported Thursday that Pepin had been convicted this month of harassing a woman police officer and fined $500.

"He was kind of in love with her, you know," the police chief told a news conference. "He was always trying to get in touch with her in many ways."

He would often drop by the station near his home and had a known penchant for female officers, the Globe and Mail reported.

"I'm told he had fantasies about women police officers, " Const. Guy Lajeunesse told the Globe. "He'd go by the police station and say, `I love women police officers. I find them beautiful.'"

Great, just great.  Another woman shot by another Montreal psycho.  No doubt, Wendy Cukier and Landslide Annie will beat us to death with this one, too.

The guy should have been locked up, but no, this is ALL the fault of Skeet shooters in Moncton and Duck hunters in Prince Albert, and mark my words they will PAY.

Just wait...

Tom

TCBF said:
Great, just great.   Another woman shot by another Montreal psycho.   No doubt, Wendy Cukier and Landslide Annie will beat us to death with this one, too.

The guy should have been locked up, but no, this is ALL the fault of Skeet shooters in Moncton and Duck hunters in Prince Albert, and mark my words they will PAY.

Just wait...

Tom

Actually Anne McLellan was shown on CP24, at some election event saying that neither the current registry nor the proposed hand gun ban would have stopped this guy, but they are still effective tools in the fight against crime. ???

Hatchet Man said:
Actually Anne McLellan was shown on CP24, at some election event saying that neither the current registry nor the proposed hand gun ban would have stopped this guy, but they are still effective tools in the fight against crime. ???
Enforcement of the current laws would have stopped him.

Hatchet Man said:
You sure about that, how do you think the cops were able to execute Project Impact and Pathfinder and takedown those Malvern gangs whose criminal proceedings have just begun.

I hope you aren't trying to compare the communal weapons a powerful and well-organized criminal organization like the Malvern Crew had to some sort of "gun rental" scheme. Even if you are, however, it wasn't even close to an important part of the police take-down of the Malvern Crew.

I can't believe Martin had the nerve to say that this Handgun ban isn't for votes.

What my grandfather always said, whether by a gun, automobile, knife, poison, if someone wants to kill another, they will do it. Banning LEGAL firearms isn't the answer to that, it's the answer to "How can Martin waste more of the money he claims not to have?".

I hope Harper eats him.

Police union officials told reporters it was "highly disturbing" that a man forbidden to possess firearms would be permitted to have one under any circumstances.

i think it's called owning a handgun illegally.

I'm shocked that criminals and murderers don't care that handguns are banned.  ::)

Apparently it wasn't a handgun, but a .338 rifle.  They have been calling it an elephant gun which isn't really correct, but that calibre is certainly a long range high power cartridge for North American dangerous game.  This incident is a classic example of the failure of the Campbell red tory and subsequent Liberal firearm control regimes.

(edited to correct typo)

http://www.sermonaudio.ca/users/scrapc68/video/BruceMontague.ca_HiddenAgendaRevealed.wmv

Above is the video of Landslide Annie saying they won't ban guns followed by PMPM's announcement that they will.

Tom

Keep Canada safe from illegally owned guns, NUKE Tarrana!!! And Windsor, too, because frankly, if there ever was a city that proved the logic and neccesity of tactical nukes, it's Windsor.

Sorry, I had a moment there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back