• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal promise free education for veterans

Scoobie Newbie

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
http://globalnews.ca/video/2181739/justin-trudeau-promises-free-post-secondary-education-to-all-veterans

That's great and all. But where is the money coming from and why present this shiny new Apple when none was asked for?

Sheep Dog AT said:
http://globalnews.ca/video/2181739/justin-trudeau-promises-free-post-secondary-education-to-all-veterans

That's great and all. But where is the money coming from and why present this shiny new Apple when none was asked for?

It's a long overdue "gift" of appreciation, take it because you earned with every shovel load from a trench or sand pile into a sand bag. Think  of all the post secondary training officers get from universities and war colleges all over the place, masters and Ph.D. Programs etc. If they want to fund this program with internal dollars, stop promoting so many captains to major, major to colonel and colonel to general. The education bill that comes with so many promotions is enormous and out of proportion to such a small army.

whiskey601 said:
It's a long overdue "gift" of appreciation, take it because you earned with every shovel load from a trench or sand pile into a sand bag. Think  of all the post secondary training officers get from universities and war colleges all over the place, masters and Ph.D. Programs etc. If they want to fund this program with internal dollars, stop promoting so many captains to major, major to colonel and colonel to general. The education bill that comes with so many promotions is enormous and out of proportion to such a small army.

I agree. It is a good idea. Full stop.

What qulifies a veteran to be able to draw on the new Canadian "GI Bill" I wonder...

Surly it cant just be 3-5 years service and you get a free post secondary education...

Sheep Dog AT said:

That's great and all. But where is the money coming from ...
Good question.  On the other hand ...
Sheep Dog AT said:
...and why present this shiny new Apple when none was asked for?
Really?  While this only taps one chunk of the demographic, there's one or two posts here (specifically here) complaining about a less-than-ideal system for vets, so wouldn't say there's been no call for action on this front.

But I guess I know what I'll be doing whenever I grow up and get out of the military; postgrad!

animal-house-belushi.jpg

Of course, that assumes this is an actually resourced program, not just a fake promise.

Hey, anybody else remember that UAV Squadron and Airborne Battalion that were going to be posted to Goose Bay?

Ostrozac said:
Hey, anybody else remember that UAV Squadron and Airborne Battalion that were going to be posted to Goose Bay?
Shhhh - around here, some don't think those promises are worthy of bringing up  >:D

milnews.ca said:
Good question.  On the other hand ...Really?  While this only taps one chunk of the demographic, there's one or two posts here (specifically here) complaining about a less-than-ideal system for vets, so wouldn't say there's been no call for action on this front.

What I meant by the second part was that I only heard a request to go back to a similar system for vets prior to the lump sum. I don't recall a vocal majority call for education. Seems like a nice idea, perhaps modelled on the American military.

Halifax Tar said:
What qulifies a veteran to be able to draw on the new Canadian "GI Bill" I wonder...

Surly it cant just be 3-5 years service and you get a free post secondary education...

That will be an important question.  Anyone who joins the CAF and quits after basic, even before their trade school is done, is considered a veteran by VAC.

Halifax Tar said:

Perhaps they will use a formula similar to what is/was in place where the amount of reimbursement towards education fees is calculated on years of service.  That would make sense as opposed to giving free education for all, even those who dropped out at Recruit School (as the Government seems for some reason to consider them to have qualified to be called "Veteran").  Number of years served would be used towards number of years paid for at an educational institution.

For reference,

Definition of a Veteran

Any former member of the Canadian Armed Forces who successfully underwent basic training and is honourably released.
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/definition-veteran

Jarnhamar said:
That will be an important question.  Anyone who joins the CAF and quits after basic, even before their trade school is done, is considered a veteran by VAC.

Where as the veterans hiring act considers a veteran to be at least 3 years of service.

http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/vet-ac/serv-eng.htm

Now for a curve ball  >:D, reservists? What if anything should they get?

We already have the ILP program and if maxed out can net you $8k towards university. Which is roughly 1 year of tuition and books. Like wise the training schedule both in the summer and during the school year is heavily catered towards university students. More ILP money would be great, but honestly I think it is fairly good as it is.

If reservists were to get anything what should it the calculation be?  Class B/C at 1:1 and Class A at 1:0.5 just like how it currently is if/when a member CT's?

I think we should change the title to "Liberals promise to grant..." There's no announcement yet, it's still just one of the hundreds of vote buying promises.

Will this include all veterans or just those recently released?  I think this is a good idea to help transition into the civilian world. Will be interesting to see specifics of the program.

Jarnhamar said:

I think that's to make sure anyone who gets broken during basic or otherwise medically released is covered.  Doesn't take much to blow out a knee or something else career ending before it starts.

That video is from August 2015, it was a campaign promise. Nothing new.

Rhodesian said:
That video is from August 2015, it was a campaign promise. Nothing new.
For the win!

Given that, and the good questions that are coming up, I'm tweaking the thread title just a touch, and moving it into VAC stuff.

Milnet.ca Staff

Navy_Pete said:
I think that's to make sure anyone who gets broken during basic or otherwise medically released is covered.  Doesn't take much to blow out a knee or something else career ending before it starts.

I consider that to be the very limit of being "legit", no matter what stage they are at in their training/service.

Those who pull the "This is not for me -- VOR" in St Jean are not, nor ever will be, Veterans in my eye; especially in Week One. 

George Wallace said:
I consider that to be the very limit of being "legit", no matter what stage they are at in their training/service.

Those who pull the "This is not for me -- VOR" in St Jean are not, nor ever will be, Veterans in my eye; especially in Week One.

Wholeheartedly concur

Back