• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal promise free education for veterans

runormal said:
Now for a curve ball  >:D, reservists? What if anything should they get?

We already have the ILP program and if maxed out can net you $8k towards university. Which is roughly 1 year of tuition and books. Like wise the training schedule both in the summer and during the school year is heavily catered towards university students.

You have to remember, university students are paying out of their pockets for their education.  High School students have their costs paid for by the tax payers of their municipalities and province.

George Wallace said:
I consider that to be the very limit of being "legit", no matter what stage they are at in their training/service.

Those who pull the "This is not for me -- VOR" in St Jean are not, nor ever will be, Veterans in my eye; especially in Week One.

I completely agree; I just meant that's why they fall under VAC.

If they combined the University/College benefit with the Summer Student Job Programme (like the old YTEP Programme) then they would have the backbone of a Contract system similar to the Americans that could apply to both the Regs and the Reserves. 

X years in the Regs + Y years in the Reserves gets you a diploma and future considerations.

Chris Pook said:
X years in the Regs + Y years in the Reserves gets you a diploma and future considerations.

And a first round draft pick?

A bit of an update ...
Nine months after the Liberals came to power saying veterans would not have to fight the government for support and compensation, former soldiers say they are disappointed that so many commitments have yet to be fulfilled, including a promise of a free education for those who complete their service.

The failure of the government to quickly meet its promises on an education benefit, as well as on restoring the option of lifetime pensions to those with disabilities, are the two deepest disappointments for veterans, said Mike Blois, the former president of the Afghanistan Veterans Association of Canada.

“Betrayed is the way people feel,” he said. “Veterans who generally vote very conservatively, lots of them voted Liberal because they thought the Liberal Party was going to do something for veterans.”

(...)

Sarah McMaster, a spokeswoman for Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr, said in an e-mail that the government is intent upon paying for veterans’ education. “Understanding that some commitments will take more time than others, we are working hard to deliver on the remaining items – including the veterans education benefit,” she said.

(...)

Conservative MP Erin O’Toole, who was the veterans affairs minister in the previous government, said he does not agree that Canada should create the equivalent of the American G.I. Bill.

Soldiers, sailors and airmen and women who retire as a result of a service-related injury are already entitled to educational assistance, and not all able-bodied veterans need to have their full tuition paid for by the government, he said. The Conservatives would prefer that the limited resources in federal coffers be targeted to have as much of an impact as possible, he added ...

Back