• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal MP Ruby Dhalla tries to stop release of Bollywood film co-starring her

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Oh well.  ;D
Ruby Dhalla and her past brief stint in Bollywood

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/090312/canada/canada_dhalla_film_1

My face, but not my body in film publicity material, MP Dhalla says

Thu Mar 12, 11:14 AM

TORONTO (CBC) - Former actress and Brampton, Ont., Liberal MP Ruby Dhalla is trying to block DVD sales of a Bollywood-style movie she co-starred in before being elected to Parliament in 2004.

In an interview with the Toronto Sun Wednesday, Dhalla confirmed her role in the 2003 low-budget Hindi film made in Hamilton called Kyon Kis Liye (Why? And for Whom?).

However, she claimed the movie's publicity material, including posters and photos, were doctored putting her face on someone else's body.

"We've never seen a copy of the film," said Dhalla, 35, who represents Brampton-Springdale.

"They are misrepresenting myself. they put my face on someone else's body in clothes I never wore."

The film producer Charanjit (Chico) Sihra, who owns an autobody shop in Hamilton, said Dhalla signed a distribution waiver and was paid $2,000.

Sihra who met Dhalla at a fashion show in 1993 shortly after she placed second in the Miss India Canada pageant said he doesn't know what all the fuss is about.

"She wanted to be in a Bollywood film," Sihra said. "She had a passion for the movie, but she's a politician now and she doesn't want the DVD of the film released."

Dhalla's mother was on set every day of filming and there is no nudity or sex in the movie, he added.

Dhalla denied signing a waiver and has asked Sihra to produce it. Sihra said the form was destroyed in a fire but he has witnesses who saw Dhalla sign it.

Both sides have hired lawyers.

"If we have to go through an injunction, we'll do whatever is necessary," Dhalla said.

She claims the producer and distributor in India are "opportunists" trying to exploit her status as a politician.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090411/Dhalla_DVD_090411/20090411?hub=Canada

Liberal MP Dhalla in 'Bollywood' DVD flap
Updated Sat. Apr. 11 2009 11:23 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff

Liberal MP Ruby Dhalla is reportedly attempting to block the distribution of a Bollywood-style movie in which she had a starring role, according to the film's producer.

Shot in 2003 -- a year before Dhalla became an elected member of Parliament -- the movie is a Hindi-language story called "Kyon, Kis Liye," which is translated as "Who and For What?"

But the Toronto-area MP has reportedly said that images of her used for promoting the film were doctored -- something the film creators deny.

Producer Charanjit Sihra said that none of the images have been changed and that Dhalla, who was a prominent Liberal at the time, should be proud of her work in the film, which was shot in Hamilton.

"She came to Hamilton and she always wanted to be a Bollywood star," Sihra said. "I gave her a chance in the film."

Sihra added that he secured some funding from Heritage Canada for the film, mainly for promotional purposes and to stage a premier of the movie in Hamilton.

However, the grant application has raised questions about how the funds were eventually secured.

According to documents obtained by CTV News, Heritage Canada wrote at the time of the application that the film did "not meet any of the terms and conditions of existing departmental programs."

Despite this, a $13,000 grant was approved by then-Heritage Minister Sheila Copps - also a prominent Hamilton Liberal.

Dhalla, who is currently travelling in India, contacted CTV News on Saturday and said that she had no prior knowledge of the movie's funding from Ottawa. She added that any federal funding for the movie was in no way connected to her.

Copps was unable to comment on the issue.

Men's magazine Maxim recently listed Dhalla, a runner-up in the Miss India Canada pageant in 1993, as the world's third "hottest" politician.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2009/05/10/9410406-sun.html

Dhalla film hits town

'Pirated' DVDs altered: Producer

By IAN ROBERTSON, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 10th May 2009, 3:26am
The Bollywood-style film embattled Brampton MP Ruby Dhalla wanted canned forever has arrived in Canada as DVDs, its producer and her co-star said last night.

But Charanjit "Chico" Sihra told the Sun a source in India told him earlier in the day that "pirate" copies recently arrived for distribution in Toronto and Vancouver.

And the reason for the term "pirated" being used, he said in an interview, is that his source told him the DVD version of Kyon? Kis Liye? has been altered.

Sihra said he was told what had been changed, and has not seen one of the DVD copies, but knowing of similar tactics in the industry, suggested by branding it a pirated version, "they want to make out the film had been stolen."

He'll try to get a copy of the DVD to compare it with his only copy, a VHS version "that would not transfer well. I gave them everything else.

"I'm very upset about it," Sihra said, vowing "to take legal action against the company" if the copy is of inferior quality to the original that was sold.

Made in 2003 in Hamilton, with he and Dhalla as co-stars, the story is of a man poisoning his wife to collect insurance.

Its title translates from Hindi as Why? And for Whom?

When the now-MP learned of Sihra's plans, he said she asked him not to release it.

In the story, which the Sun published first in March, Dhalla said publicity photos of her with Sihra were doctored, with her face superimposed on another woman's body, wearing clothing she never donned.

He vehemently denied any photos were changed.

Dhalla quit Wednesday as Liberal youth and multiculturalism critic after three foreign caregivers hired to care for her mother in their Mississauga home said they were overworked and underpaid, and one alleged her passport was withheld.

PROBE REQUESTED

On Friday, she and her lawyer told reporters the allegations were false and she has asked for a federal ethics commissioner to investigate to clear her.

Dhalla was targeted in a 2004 pre-election smear campaign, in which portions the film were distributed to the media and rumours of impropriety were spread in the largely Indian riding of Brampton-Springdale.

"There is nothing sexual," Sihra said.

"I want to make another movie and this is my reputation," he said. "It's a beautiful movie.'

Back