• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

If it unfolded as it's been said by MSM to have unfolded, yup ...
One would then have to admit that the May 1, 2020 "assault style" firearms ban OIC was based on false pretenses. That could infer that the GoC really has no evidence to defend the OIC against the court challenges underway (having invoked Cabinet Confidence under S 39 of the Canada Evidence Act already to protect that evidence from disclosure).

One would then have to admit that the May 1, 2020 "assault style" firearms ban OIC was based on false pretenses. That could infer that the GoC really has no evidence to defend the OIC against the court challenges underway (having invoked Cabinet Confidence under S 39 of the Canada Evidence Act already to protect that evidence from disclosure).
Don't forget only invoking that part of the act when ORDERED by a court to provide the information. Before that point they didn't see a need to keep that information secret.

I wonder if this could lead to another legal challenge ?

Interesting article on why we seem to have a lack of state capacity under our current government.

“The only way for deputy ministers to get the funding they need to fix the foundations is to let political leaders feel the pain of the choices they have made,” said one senior public servant.

Interesting article on why we seem to have a lack of state capacity under our current government.

“The only way for deputy ministers to get the funding they need to fix the foundations is to let political leaders feel the pain of the choices they have made,” said one senior public servant.
I don't think I've ever seen the morale of the country as low as it is now...

There is simply a lack of faith in the government's ability, or willingness, to lead from the front, be accountable, Or do anything other than respond to problems at a bare minimum level.

This is not leadership, It's s**** management at best.*

Trudeau and his senior ministers are seen to be lying & in contempt of almost any questioning they receive - refusing to answer questions directly, or falling back to some clearly empty woke nonsense.
I think this shows most people that they don't even believe what's coming out of their own mouths, so naturally - why would anybody else?

______

If we want the morale of the country to bounce back, We have to do things to inspire that comeback.
- Stop striving for mediocrity, and be proactive with ideas and ambitions.

- Strive for greatness, not to be average.

- Be accountable & lead by example.

If you make a genuinely innocent mistake, just own it and learn from it.

People will respect and admire someone who says "We made this mistake while we were attempting to do X. We realize now that doing Y would have been a better approach, and will implement that going forwards."

No this does not apply to basic stuff the average 10 year old already knows not to do.

- Sometimes speaking less is actually saying more. Learn when to shut the f*** up.

- And not to sound overly pestimistic, but just use some common sense sometimes.

* I have a feeling a lot of things in this country will start going in a better direction if the morale was on its way up.*

The pandemic was demoralizing. Now the stories are emerging of children screwed up by the mitigation measures imposed upon them, alongside stories of people who are going to suffer severely if not die because of backlogs in a health care system that was already running behind. Meanwhile the government of Canada is leaning into new spending programs, and one half of the partnership - the half that wants to spend the most - is ideologically predisposed to top-down economic controls that tend to strangle the revenue they need. People may not understand the underlying ideas or know the terms of art, but they can grasp the idea of people who are doing what they prefer to do and procrastinating on high-priority tasks.

The pandemic was demoralizing. Now the stories are emerging of children screwed up by the mitigation measures imposed upon them, alongside stories of people who are going to suffer severely if not die because of backlogs in a health care system that was already running behind. Meanwhile the government of Canada is leaning into new spending programs, and one half of the partnership - the half that wants to spend the most - is ideologically predisposed to top-down economic controls that tend to strangle the revenue they need. People may not understand the underlying ideas or know the terms of art, but they can grasp the idea of people who are doing what they prefer to do and procrastinating on high-priority tasks.
Where is S. Harper when you need him

My main beef is that a lot of the "economic relief" packages are band-aid fixes to the larger "economic stagnation" that has plagued us long before COVID was a word in our vocabulary.

This government in 2015 was adamant that the Green Shift was needed and that we could do it on a manner that wouldn't cripple our industry and make us a "leader" in this endeavor. They went forward with policies to restrict oil and gas, without coming up with concrete policies to backfill the shortfall. Add in a pandemic that crippled industry and services, a population that has now eaten into whatever savings they had, and a hostile global market.... we have no safety net outside of "print more money, cut more cheques." Worse still, they plan to keep pushing forward with the policies because "Climate change is going to cause more issues than this economic down turn or the land war in Europe.."

It's like Hitler waiting for the Allies to land at Calais. "No no... just you wait... it's coming...I'm sure of it...." isn't much solace to the people affected immediately by it.

Removed from power by an electorate that was tired of him.
Oh you…you & your facts… 😤

When it comes to our current economic situation, and where I think we all see it leading us in the fairly near future - someone like Stephen Harper getting into office would be great. (Or at least be the guy in charge of creating & implementing monetary/fiscal policies.)

We can’t keep going in the direction that we are.

We have the potential to be so much better off than we currently are, we’re too busy creating red tape for ourselves and bungling opportunities — only to have countries like China and India reverse whatever progress is achieved.

The secrecy, control freakiness and vindictiveness was getting old…sound familiar? 🤔

At least he was a serious, competent manager (for the most part).
So a slight admission on my part, I actually ‘know’ Stephen Harper - but I use the word very lightly.

My father and him actually crossed paths shortly before he was elected as PM, and a few times during his tenure. All in business settings, as my dad worked as a consultant for a variety of post secondary institutions - and somehow that ended up in them meeting a few times, and becoming friendly acquaintances.

I did get the chance to speak to him in an informal setting, casually and briefly - but privately - a few years back. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

I remember he said he ended up quite sour & frustrated near the end, because he felt like he always had to kick the public service in the @$$ to get them to do their jobs sometimes - and any progress that he tried to make was hindered by stupid people suggesting more & more red tape.

He joked he felt like Darth Vader near the end, aannndddd…that was it. It’s like he was setting up a joke for the punchline, but then just had a sip of his drink & moved on.

What about a state of emergency declration and mandating 24/7 work on the assessments etc by the relevant agencies. I find it hard to believe the process is immutably slow
You still need to collect the information on geo tech, archaeology, water issues, etc. These also fall partly in the Provincial arena and without a World War, they are not going to relinquish their authorities. Plus all this has to happen in 3-4 months of the summer season generally, so 4 years might give you 1 full year of field studies. Plus the work of collecting it is on the companies and it's expensive enough. Unless we the taxpayers are willing to shell out the difference, a company is likley to say "No way". If my math is right, then a 1300km x 75m pipeline right of way works out to 97,000,000m to be reviewed.

Well, that didn't take long. The sad part? It's what the whole world believes right now and we brought it all on ourselves. This image will not fade for a long, long time. We are now, officially, the laughing stock of the world's militaries.

View attachment 71983
There are probably a few countries that have not reported in the media the Canadians' updated dress regs.

Even if their media has taken some interest in them, They can't say much more than the CAF are updating their dress regs to be more inclusive.

It's us that are painfully aware of where these changes originated from, and why - and the dark backstory behind such happy headlines.

(Sorry mods, back on topic)

Back