• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

I’m listening to questions and testimony during the Special Joint Committee on the Declaration of the Emergency.
That’s fine. Nonetheless the claim that you repeated from Twitter was verifiably false.

I don’t know how anyone can believe a damn thing this government and the CBC says about anything anymore.

I’ve never wanted to punch a politician straight in the mouth anytime they’ve opened it before…

Sure, there are some I’ll let out a premature sigh about when they start to speak. Some I’ll mute whatever I’m listening to while they speak. Sometimes I’ll just listen and pick up whatever important bits I can.

But the strong urge to just launch a fist into a face the moment their facial muscles indicate they are about to speak? These clowns are the first 🤨😕👊🏻

That’s fine. Nonetheless the claim that you repeated from Twitter was verifiably false.
Take it up with the parliamentary committee and all the other-than-CBC news sources stating it.

I wonder, will you ever acknowledged the discreditable conduct by the current LPC?

Take it up with the parliamentary committee and all the other-than-CBC news sources stating it.

I wonder, will you ever acknowledged the discreditable conduct by the current LPC?
For professional reasons I generally hold my tongue on certain things. I’ve been open about my voting record; if you failed to notice it was not liberal last time around, that’s on you.

The funny thing is that Brock himself, in that clip, appears to be falling for the same misinformation that you are. I can understand you taking him at face value, so if he’s incorrect that’s on him, not on you. Nonetheless, from what I’ve been able to find on this, nobody seems to be able to show receipts for the purported retraction Brock alleges, and CBC has come out quite firmly to stand behind their reporting and their claim.

This appears to be the CBC story Brock is incensed about (the date is correct and it names those countries). I see nothing suggesting it has been retracted. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6345889

As later reported in CBC’s defence of this coverage, these facts were in fact borne out as this was followed up on, and CBC had underestimated foreign funding.

So anyway, feel free to dig further if you wish. At present it appears you’re uncritically believing a member of the opposition who does not appear to have validated the information he was working with while generating sound bytes.

EDIT TO ADD: CBC discloses its corrections and retractions here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/corrections-clarifications-1.5893564

I can't believe I'm defending the CBC!

The federally funded broadcaster has been throwing shade at the Trudeau government quite a bit of late. Possibly they see the tea leaves no longer favouring their boss, as Don Martin opined above.
A lot of the so-called "bought and paid for" media (including the Sun chain) has been doing - generally - a better job of highlighting the more greasy stuff. Still far from perfect, with different outlets with different blind spots, but still ...

Don't worry, though - I'm sure they'll start disappointing again soon enough :)

Far be it for me to defend CBC, but one doesn’t need to make shit up about them discredit them. Making shit up just discredits the person making shit up and makes CBC look lily-white.

Same could be said about anyone making shit up about anything.

I can't believe I'm defending the CBC!

The federally funded broadcaster has been throwing shade at the Trudeau government quite a bit of late. Possibly they see the tea leaves no longer favouring their boss, as Don Martin opined above.
My tin foil hat tightening. Is this the backroom or others prepping the field for a change in leadership? I have heard whispers that old boys are not happy....but they have not been for awhile. So who knows.

But with real kitchen table issues coming up things may be changing. Gas prices, inflation etc. Interest rates.

My tin foil hat tightening. Is this the backroom or others prepping the field for a change in leadership? I have heard whispers that old boys are not happy....but they have not been for awhile. So who knows.

But with real kitchen table issues coming up things may be changing. Gas prices, inflation etc. Interest rates.
From what I have heard, there were no old boys left in the Liberal Party!

For professional reasons I generally hold my tongue on certain things.
brihard, if the allegations about the LPC are true that they didn't have justification for the EA but did it anyway under false pretenses aided by the CBC, does that deserve being held accountable in your mind?

brihard, if the allegations about the LPC are true that they didn't have justification for the EA but did it anyway under false pretenses aided by the CBC, does that deserve being held accountable in your mind?
I’ve already spoken to what the evidence appears to support and refute regarding the CBC article. As your hypothetical is predicated on something that appears to not be true, I can’t engage on that in good faith.

I’m going to wait and see how this whole thing plays out and what the inquiry actually reveals. I’ve been part of too many investigations, some quite complex, to get caught out forming or committing to an opinion on something when I know there’s a lot I don’t yet know. My opinion, when I form one, will be based on evidence, not politics. I may or may not share it here.

I’ve already spoken to what the evidence appears to support and refute regarding the CBC article. As your hypothetical is predicated on something that appears to not be true, I can’t engage on that in good faith.

I’m going to wait and see how this whole thing plays out and what the inquiry actually reveals. I’ve been part of too many investigations, some quite complex, to get caught out forming or committing to an opinion on something when I know there’s a lot I don’t yet know. My opinion, when I form one, will be based on evidence, not politics. I may or may not share it here.
Well said .
I'll add more when I have access to a real keyboard.

You can't agree that an abuse of power on that scale and scope, if carried out by any elected government, is a very bad thing? If it's just a hypothetical, there should be no issue here.

I can see why those in power can keep getting away with awful things when those around them continue to be silent. Not suggesting you are in a place or position to do anything about anything, but that attitude particularly when widespread in any institution is why we have the continuing discreditable conduct going on.

I share Rex's opinion about this whole debacle: Rex Murphy: Chrystia Freeland isn't interested in your questions about the Emergencies Act

Obviously any instance of government abuse of power, however small or large, deserves to be explored and addressed, whether it’s as small scale as a police officer abusing authority at a traffic stop, or as massive as a concerted and systematic tradition of bribery of officials.

Having conceded something so blindingly obvious as that, I’ll otherwise stick to talking about the actual subject at hand, to the extent that I feel informed enough to do so, and within the confines of the facts I have. Your views on this are very clear; you’re not speaking of it as a hypothetical, but rather as something you’re already declared your views on, and to be frank I believe anything further you consume on this will be taken in through a heavy lens of confirmation bias. You’re not asking me to speak to hypothetical terms, you’re trying to lever me into giving a view on something you’ve already made your mind up on and that I have not. That’s not a discussion in good faith and I don’t have to play.

I'm glad I could at least pull that out of you. As for the LPC under Trudeau or his inner circle, past is prelude.

For an inquiry to be effective people have to actually answer questions.

Rex Murphy: Chrystia Freeland isn't interested in your questions about the Emergencies Act
Problem with that is that Rex Murphy appears to particularly rely on that same four minute exchange between Brock and Freeland which, as discussed above, appears predicated on Brock depending on false information. That sorta weakens his claim. Questions have to be based on accuracy to have much merit.

I said a few years ago the Cons should throw the game for a few elections and let the Libs self destruct.

This seems to she happening more and more.

2 things I've noticed:

1) Harper was vilified in the last days of his term and he's squeaky clean compared to this gov... Wonder why that same spin hasnt been played... Hmmmm

2) The cons seem to be looking a gift horse in the mouth and aren't able to capitalize on the Lib scandals.

At least I'm a big Yankees fan, I have one winner right now.

That's fair.

Given the governments past behavior on accountability do we expect them to answer questions in a straight forward informative manner? Or rip a page out of the Question Period book.

Back