• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

Depends. Some stuff you might see classified Secret and be exposed to at the army tactical level, sure... Some other parts of the National Security world, damned near anything can speak to sources, methods, or degree of penetration of an adversary.

That speaks to a very distinct matter, the need for better national security review. The shortcomings of NSICOP have been spoken on a fair bit. We don't have a proper equivalent to the fully empowered and security cleared congressional committees the Americans have. That said, regardless of the shortcomings we may presently have, on any given day executive decisions may need to be made based on highly classified material that absolutely cannot be compromised, but which absolutely must be considered in key decisions on things like can a certain foreign company but key parts of our infrastructure. We can want a better system (or better players within it), but the business itself must go on while we strive for that.

Clearly, for national security and economic sovereignty reasons, not every decision can be debated in open Parliament.. Not only would we benefit from something similar to the US committee system in terms of empowerment and clearances, but clear protocols about what gets handled where and by whom. If nothing else, it might help solve the current problem of trust within the PMO. The decision making should be secret but not the process. I have to believe other parliamentary systems handle this better and it is a unique problem to us since we tend to spell national security in small letters.

But we don't know that that's the case.

That's the problem. The need to know basis can be taken advantage of so very easily. For it to have legitimacy you need trust and that's something the current government has laughed at.

On the onset of covid the government tried to sneak unlimited spending power with no parliamentary oversight past the Parliment (and Canadians) but they were caught.

Remember the recent gun ban "based on evidence" , but surprise that evidence was censored for national security reasons? (or whatever the excuse was)

Just imagine the greasy shit they're sneaking past in these OICs.

As the Bard wrote, sharper than a serpent's tooth - this from the bought-and-paid-for Globe & Mail (highlights mine) ...
Former finance minister Bill Morneau delivered a pointed critique of the federal Liberals’ economic policies, along with a series of recommendations for kickstarting growth, in his first public speech since leaving political life two years ago.

Mr. Morneau, finance minister in the Liberal government from 2015 to 2020, echoed the concerns of business leaders who have urged Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to focus on expanding the Canadian economy, rather than rolling out tax-and-spend initiatives.

“When I look at politics in Canada today – from the perspective of a former insider – I have to confess that I’m much more worried about our economic prospects today, in 2022, than I was seven years ago,” he said. “So much time and energy was spent on finding ways to redistribute Canada’s wealth that there was little attention given to the importance of increasing our collective prosperity,” said Mr. Morneau in a speech Wednesday evening to the C.D. Howe Institute ...
Archived link here if you can't get thru the paywall for the rest of the article.

That's the problem. The need to know basis can be taken advantage of so very easily. For it to have legitimacy you need trust and that's something the current government has laughed at.

On the onset of covid the government tried to sneak unlimited spending power with no parliamentary oversight past the Parliment (and Canadians) but they were caught.

Remember the recent gun ban "based on evidence" , but surprise that evidence was censored for national security reasons? (or whatever the excuse was)

Just imagine the greasy shit they're sneaking past in these OICs.

You probably don't want to peek into that abyss ....

1654201413046.png

A couple of recent CBC headlines to lift spirits.

Typical mortgage payment could be 30% higher in 5 years, Bank of Canada warns​

The Liberals could do more to tackle inflation — but that's now a question for the fall​

A couple of recent CBC headlines to lift spirits.

Typical mortgage payment could be 30% higher in 5 years, Bank of Canada warns​

Yeah.... cause that's going to help out a lot of folks who either can't buy a home, or can't make rent for the price landlord's are charging because mortgage rates are going up....

The Liberals could do more to tackle inflation — but that's now a question for the fall​

They could do a lot of things, but won't. I have zero faith that a government that hasn't the desire nor inclination to apply economic theory outside "the budget will balance itself" will lift a finger to help Canadian citizens catch a break.

Well the economy is going to balance itself, the problem for those that overreached is they are going to suffer as it does so.

From the bought-and-paid-for media: tick, tick, tick?

From the bought-and-paid-for media: tick, tick, tick?
You know what they say about opinions, right?

You know what they say about opinions, right?
For sure, but the "opinionator" here isn't known for being a huge fan of Team Blue, either, so I figured it was worth throwing out there as another tile in the mosaic.

Interesting article

so proven false pretenses. Have they either released the frozen accounts, deleted the detailed information they gathered up on the participants, dropped charges made under the act, released the seized assets without prejudice?

It is an outrageous assault on the very fabric of this country and what it stands for. In any other time it would result in the loss of confidence and downfall of the sitting government. If there is no serious accountability for this abuse of power, this time, trust in our institutions will be permanently ruined and the societal divisions will fracture further.

It is an outrageous assault on the very fabric of this country and what it stands for. In any other time it would result in the loss of confidence and downfall of the sitting government. If there is no serious accountability for this abuse of power, this time, trust in our institutions will be permanently ruined and the societal divisions will fracture further.
The really outrageous part is that nobody cares. In 30 months, this will be spun as "decisive leadership in the face of a national security threat", which will still be undefined due to cabinet confidence.

I don’t know how anyone can believe a damn thing this government and the CBC says about anything anymore.

This claim is itself false. CBC did not retract its coverage and specifically has said it stands by what it said. Whoever you got this info from, you need to question whether you should rely on them as a source in future.

This claim is itself false. CBC did not retract its coverage and specifically has said it stands by what it said. Whoever you got this info from, you need to question whether you should rely on them as a source in future.

Hard one. Believe True North or CBC......I take neither. Both are agenda driven. But one has a redeeming quality, one admits it does and one actively denies it.

Hard one. Believe True North or CBC......I take neither. Both are agenda driven. But one has a redeeming quality, one admits it does and one actively denies it.
I suspect you didn’t read the article, which cites the corroborating information from public proceedings that actually validated their reporting and showed them to even *under*estimate foreign funding.

CBC writ large is a separate topic. I’m responding to one narrow and verifiably false claim on a specific issue.

Back