• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

This out a couple of hours ago ...
No5gForHuawei.jpg
More from the GoC info-machine here
... the government intends to prohibit the inclusion of Huawei and ZTE products and services in Canada’s telecommunications systems. “This follows a thorough review by our independent security agencies and in consultation with our closest allies. “As a result, telecommunications companies that operate in Canada would no longer be permitted to make use of designated equipment or services provided by Huawei and ZTE. As well, companies that already use this equipment installed in their networks would be required to cease its use and remove it ...
More in the policy statement
... The Government of Canada has serious concerns about suppliers such as Huawei and ZTE who could be compelled to comply with extrajudicial directions from foreign governments in ways that would conflict with Canadian laws or would be detrimental to Canadian interests.
  • Canada’s closest allies share the similar concerns about these two suppliers. Given the potential cascading economic and security impacts a telecommunications supply chain breach could cause, allies have taken actions to enable them to prohibit the deployment of Huawei and ZTE products and services in their 5G telecommunications networks.
  • Like our allies, Canada believes that evolving international supply chain dynamics have further implications due to growing restrictions on access to certain components. Shifts from well-known inputs to others have implications for Canada’s ability to conduct assurance testing. This changing supply chain environment toward other components will make it increasingly difficult for Canada to maintain a high level of assurance testing for certain network equipment from a number of potential suppliers.
  • The Government of Canada is announcing today that it intends to prohibit Canadian telecommunications service providers from deploying Huawei and ZTE products and services in their 5G networks.
  • Other forms of equipment from these suppliers have different risk profiles. However, in the context of this review the Government of Canada considers that it would be prudent to impose restrictions that build on actions already in place. These are intended to further safeguard the Canadian telecommunications system.
  • Overall, the Government is announcing its intention to implement the following actions:
    • The use of new 5G equipment and managed services from Huawei and ZTE will be prohibited and existing 5G equipment and managed services must be removed or terminated by June 28, 2024.
    • Any use of new 4G equipment and managed services from Huawei and ZTE will be prohibited and any existing 4G equipment and managed services must be removed or terminated by December 31, 2027.
    • The Government expects that telecommunications service providers will cease procurement of new 4G or 5G equipment and associated services by September 1, 2022.
    • The government further intends to impose restrictions on Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) equipment used in fibre-optic networks.
    • During these transition periods, telecommunications service providers that use this equipment and managed services would be required to comply with any assurance requirements prescribed by the government, building from the Communications Security Establishment’s Security Review Program.
    • As outlined below, these actions will be subject to consultation ...

Honestly, I am surprised it took this long to decide.

We stand closer and closer to losing our status as a 5 Eyes nation with this kind of political jockeying. China is not a friend to the West and therefore not a friend to Canada.

To think we can play both sides of the fence and get along swimmingly with our biggest national security partner is lunacy.

Honestly, I am surprised it took this long to decide.

We stand closer and closer to losing our status as a 5 Eyes nation with this kind of political jockeying. China is not a friend to the West and therefore not a friend to Canada.

To think we can play both sides of the fence and get along swimmingly with our biggest national security partner is lunacy.
Pretty sure there were behind the scenes discussions long before this that assured our partners. This is isn’t a surprise to anyone including the Chinese.

Because everything is so peaceful these days we can afford to loosen up a bit, right?

Trudeau says Tory ‘tough on crime’ rhetoric only tough on Black, Indigenous Canadians​

A new law proposed by the Liberal government would scrap some mandatory minimum sentences, as incarceration rates among racialized and Indigenous people far exceed the national average. Mike Le Couteur looks at whether the move would tackle systemic racism in the judicial system.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Wednesday that policies the Conservatives claimed were “tough on crime” were “really just tough on Black Canadians and Indigenous Canadians.”
70c8fc80

He made the comment during a heated exchange in question period that saw Conservatives accuse the Liberals of planning to “make it allowable for criminals to get house arrest” by repealing policies that broadened the use of mandatory minimum sentences.

“He’s going after law-abiding Canadians but going soft on gangsters,” said Conservative MP Shannon Stubbs before asking: “Will he scrap Bill C-5?”
Trudeau said the government is repealing “failed” Conservative policies.

“They claim to be tough on crime but really they’re just tough on Black Canadians and Indigenous people,” Trudeau said before being drowned out by shouts.

“Our criminal justice reform legislation turns the page on failed Conservative party policies,” he repeated afterwards. “What we need is a system that doesn’t target people because of systemic discrimination.”

How is it systemic racism if they are guilty of the crimes they are charged with? If they aren’t we need to change the system but if they did commit the crime the punishment is fair.

How is it systemic racism if they are guilty of the crimes they are charged with? If they aren’t we need to change the system but if they did commit the crime the punishment is fair.

There are various studies... this one doesn't seem to mention anything about 'mandatory minimums' though:

Study: Black citizens "over-represented" in Toronto police arrests, shootings​

TORONTO (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Black people in Toronto are disproportionately arrested and fatally shot by police, according to a government report released on Monday showing racially charged police violence in Canada’s largest city rivaled that of the United States.

Black people are “grossly over-represented” in police actions, comprising nearly a third of criminal charges despite being about 9% of the city’s population, said the Ontario Human Rights Commission report.

The highly anticipated report comes in the wake of protests around the world, including in Canada, over the U.S. deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and other Black Americans at the hands of police.

“The report’s results are highly disturbing and confirm what Black communities have said for decades: that Black people bear a disproportionate burden of law enforcement,” said Ena Chadha, interim chief commissioner, in a virtual news conference.

Analyzing data from 2013 to 2017, researchers found the lethal police shooting rate of Black people in Toronto was 7.29 per million people each year, compared with an average of 6.99 per million people in the United States.

Any perception that racist behavior in Canada’s police was not as serious as in the United States is wrong, and the report “compels us to stop perpetuating this myth,” Chadha said.

Charges against Black people were more likely to be withdrawn and less likely to result in conviction than those against white people, it said.
“Anti-Black racism remains persistent and is not simply a perception of angry and frustrated activists. It manifests very clearly in pretty much every interaction that a civilian can have with police,” said Anthony Morgan, manager of the Toronto city government’s anti-racism unit.

There are various studies... this one doesn't seem to mention anything about 'mandatory minimums' though:

Study: Black citizens "over-represented" in Toronto police arrests, shootings​

TORONTO (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Black people in Toronto are disproportionately arrested and fatally shot by police, according to a government report released on Monday showing racially charged police violence in Canada’s largest city rivaled that of the United States.

Black people are “grossly over-represented” in police actions, comprising nearly a third of criminal charges despite being about 9% of the city’s population, said the Ontario Human Rights Commission report.

The highly anticipated report comes in the wake of protests around the world, including in Canada, over the U.S. deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and other Black Americans at the hands of police.

“The report’s results are highly disturbing and confirm what Black communities have said for decades: that Black people bear a disproportionate burden of law enforcement,” said Ena Chadha, interim chief commissioner, in a virtual news conference.

Analyzing data from 2013 to 2017, researchers found the lethal police shooting rate of Black people in Toronto was 7.29 per million people each year, compared with an average of 6.99 per million people in the United States.

Any perception that racist behavior in Canada’s police was not as serious as in the United States is wrong, and the report “compels us to stop perpetuating this myth,” Chadha said.

Charges against Black people were more likely to be withdrawn and less likely to result in conviction than those against white people, it said.
“Anti-Black racism remains persistent and is not simply a perception of angry and frustrated activists. It manifests very clearly in pretty much every interaction that a civilian can have with police,” said Anthony Morgan, manager of the Toronto city government’s anti-racism unit.

Saw this first hand as a Scarborough kid.

Interactions with the TPS were very different depending on the company I was with and what part of town I was in. The way they handled breaking up a house party was grossly different depending on if it was in West Rouge vice Galloway and Lawrence.

Interactions with the TPS were very different depending on the company I was with and what part of town I was in. The way they handled breaking up a house party was grossly different depending on if it was in West Rouge vice Galloway and Lawrence.
Why do you think that is?

Why do you think that is?
Because they were Black? Wearing a hat? Had the wrong postal code on their ID?
You tell me. I was never hassled wandering around the same neighbourhoods and I was up to the same tricks, I was just a little lacking in the melanin I guess.

Because they were Black? Wearing a hat? Had the wrong postal code on their ID?
You tell me. I was never hassled wandering around the same neighbourhoods and I was up to the same tricks, I was just a little lacking in the melanin I guess.
Seems like a straight forward case of racism then. With Caucasians now being the minority in Toronto and the GTA, and TPS being 26% visible minorities (as of 2020) and climbing, it seems like it's only a matter of time before visible minorities in the TPS reach 50%+ and those over-represented numbers dropping.

A new law proposed by the Liberal government would scrap some mandatory minimum sentences, as incarceration rates among racialized and Indigenous people far exceed the national average.

That's like dealing with rust on the car by painting over it instead of keeping it parked in a garage.

"Disparate impacts" almost always result from earlier fundamental factors upstream. Family life and education are two big ones.

That's like dealing with rust on the car by painting over it instead of keeping it parked in a garage.

"Disparate impacts" almost always result from earlier fundamental factors upstream. Family life and education are two big ones.
especially family life. Having a secure home environment with parents that you come home to each night makes a big difference. Latch key kids have always been at a disadvantage and they were more often of African descent (including Jamaica). Now that more anglos are caught up in the same monetary rat race I suspect that the numbers will begin to balance

“Systemic” racism goes well beyond the immediate individual interaction. It doesn’t mean an individual police officer behaves in a racist manner in their interactions with a racialized individual.

The concept needs to be understood as being the sum of many small parts. Everything from which communities have more focused patrol and response resources; what types of offences are more likely to see a person detained in custody, or alternatively subjected to more stringent and more easily breached bail conditions; all the way upstream to blatantly racist treatment of certain communities years ago that set entire subsequent generations up for much greater difficulty, resulting in more individuals adopting behaviours that led some of them to commit criminal acts.

There are entire communities stuck in self perpetuating cycles of violence, abuse, and trauma, in the course of which many individuals end up in conflict with the law. Treatment of our indigenous populations a hundred or more years ago (and obviously continuing much more recently than that) continues to feed cycles of criminality as people struggle with substance abuse, violence within family relationships, etc.

It’s not an attack, or inappropriate, or incorrect to say that in broad generalities there remains systemic racism in Canada. Drilling down to what that looks like is a lot harder, and a lot of it is basically ‘legacy’ of stuff that happened decades ago. But it does still result in very disparate results in the criminal justice world.

One either believes that non-white people are more inherently likely to commit criminal acts, or one does not. If one does not (me, and I hope everyone here), then you have to start looking at why there’s a difference in statistical outcomes, why demographic X is more likely on a per capita basis to be criminally convicted or spend more percentage of their life in prison. There are many small answers that add up to a monstrously complex total picture.

I have no idea what fixing this looks like, but I believe it’s a whole-of-government and all-life-stages problem to solve.

One weird thing on the Indigenous side is that they are entitled to a 'Gladue report' as part of the sentencing (which is good in theory) that actually looks at all these factors so they can be taken into account by the judge as a mitigating factor, and look at some alternate sentencing/rehabilitation options.

The weird part is that most times no one gets a Gladue report, and everything funnels through a single organization that does some gatekeeping and restricts people that can write the reports (even if they have gotten the prerequisite Gladue writing course from a qualified teacher), so it's an artificially small pool that is way inadequate to keep up with the potential demand. They are also written as stories, vice a background report with recommendations, so a judge may have to wade through 30 pages of prose to get to the actual meat of things. It's really too bad, as that could make a huge difference. Simple things like being able to get a diagnoses for undocumented conditions and get some coping strategies for that, and would directly help prevent future crimes and help with better life choices should be a part of that if we really want to reform people, and that would be a really good way to do it. Unfortunately people got involved and F'd it all up (as per SOP).

Saw this first hand as a Scarborough kid.

Especially after Danzig St.

My impression was that Metro police used to deploy heavily into high crime areas because, "that's where the crime is".

I recall reading Letters to the Editor from readers in low crime areas complaining they were paying for police protection that was going elsewhere.

I also recall reading local news stories that people in high crime areas voted regularly for police pay raises and benefits. And the police gave them the best service they could.

I recall reading somewhere that our old, and smaller, Metro force made more arrests, issued more "citations / tickets" and did more "carding" than now. While still covering the same 243 sq mile geographic area.

I doubt there is a "nice" way to arrest a dangerous and combative suspect.

The words "To serve and protect" on the side of their cars was more than a motto. It was a promise.

As taxpayers, when did we - the public - feel safer, then or now?

I suspect when the community fails to support its police in their proper and reasonable enforcement efforts, officers may become demoralized and cease proactive enforcement. ie: "carding" or "Field Interrogation", or whatever it is called now. FIDO.

If Gladue Reports are worthwhile, then they should be applied to everyone with background problems, not people with background problems who belong to a specific ethnic ground.

... Family life and education are two big ones.
especially family life. Having a secure home environment with parents that you come home to each night makes a big difference ...
And these kind of factors are the hardest to fix quickly (within a typical election cycle?) once they're screwed up among disadvantaged youth (not just minorities), especially with a few critics saying (depending on what's being suggested) that it's not being tough enough on "bad seed".

On Huawei, meanwhile, Terry Glavin nails it ...
This, from the Policy Statement issued this week (archived link), is the key ...
... these actions will be subject to consultation ...
🍿

Back